Network

1927/28 through 1997
Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

I agree with Eric. Diana Christensen was the opposite of a sexy lady. She was absorbed by his own and mean thoughts in an attitude lacking in sex.
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

flipp525 wrote:
Reza wrote:
Eric wrote:I'm sort of surprised that Diana Christensen can be thought of as "sexy." She's, by her own admission, incapable of sexuality.

That was Diana Christensen's view about herself. Surely you didn't think the old man (played by William Holden) was having a fling with Diana because she stimulated him intellectually?

That might've been what drew Max in at first to Diana....

There, you've said it yourself. The character of Diana Christensen has to be ''sexy'' in order to get Max interested in her. Never mind what he concludes about her later.

I suppose it's a personal thing. I think Faye Dunaway - then - was much sexier that Patricia Clarkson - now!
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Reza wrote:
Eric wrote:I'm sort of surprised that Diana Christensen can be thought of as "sexy." She's, by her own admission, incapable of sexuality.

That was Diana Christensen's view about herself. Surely you didn't think the old man (played by William Holden) was having a fling with Diana because she stimulated him intellectually?

That might've been what drew Max in at first to Diana (along with her school-girl reverence of him) but once he realizes who she really is, he finds out that she isn't a sexual being at all; she's simply television incarnate which is the very salacious, corrupt entity he's been trying to escape and save his friend, Howard Beale, from being consumed by.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

kaytodd wrote:Trying to satirize TV in todays America will be a challenge.
Especially when we have The Daily Show and The Colbert Report doing it every night; they make a redo of Network rather redundant.
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
kaytodd
Assistant

Post by kaytodd »

Remaking Network today seems like a strange idea to me. It was supposed to be an outrageous satire on network TV. Chayefsky wrote his screenplay before cable, when all you could watch on American TV was what the big three and PBS decided to put on. The idea that any network would put on the kind of shows that UTN put on was outrageous and funny.

Obviously, making that sort of satire about TV will be a lot more challenging today. If they do a remake of Network, it will have to be a very different story. Trying to satirize TV in todays America will be a challenge.
The great thing in the world is not so much where we stand, as in what direction we are moving. It's faith in something and enthusiasm for something that makes a life worth living. Oliver Wendell Holmes
Eric
Tenured

Post by Eric »

I'm sort of surprised that Diana Christensen can be thought of as "sexy." She's, by her own admission, incapable of sexuality. In that sense, Clarkson would be very good for the role.
Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

Reza wrote:
Hustler wrote:
Sorry, not sexy enough! Not that I'm harping on her acting abilities - she IS a great actress - but Clarkson has an old woman's face about her. She can look ruthless but would fail in the ''sexy'' department. At least in my opinion!
Didn´t you find her sexy in Good Night and Good Luck?

Frankly no! Everybody seems sexy in black and white. Even Laird Cregar, Peter Lorre and John Carradine seemed sexy in black and white!

LOL! There is a big difference between Patricia Clarkson and Peter Lorre even in black and white. It´s a pitty that you´can´t appreciate the charming and seductive power this great actress has.
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Hustler wrote:
Sorry, not sexy enough! Not that I'm harping on her acting abilities - she IS a great actress - but Clarkson has an old woman's face about her. She can look ruthless but would fail in the ''sexy'' department. At least in my opinion!

Frankly no! Everybody seems sexy in black and white. Even Laird Cregar, Peter Lorre and John Carradine seemed sexy in black and white!
Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Hustler wrote:
The Original BJ wrote:As much as I don't think Network should ever be remade . . .

I would like to see what Clooney, after the wonders he worked on Good Night, and Good Luck (and, to a much lesser extent, Confessions of a Dangerous Mind) would do with it.

and Patricia Clarkson as Diana Christensen
Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

The Original BJ wrote:As much as I don't think Network should ever be remade . . .

I would like to see what Clooney, after the wonders he worked on Good Night, and Good Luck (and, to a much lesser extent, Confessions of a Dangerous Mind) would do with it.
and Patricia Clarkson as Diana Christensen
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Reza wrote:In Beatrice Straight's case it was her only scene (of any consequence) and she gives it all she's got.

What’s also so great about Straight’s performance is the other colors she manages to find in that one scene. There’s the hurt, angry wife lashing out at her husband for emotionally and physically investing himself in an extra-marital affair – a side of her character that she knocks out of the ballpark. In such a short scene though, she also finds a way to convey the idea that the Schumachers are also best friends. She essentially ends the scene telling him that he’s gotten himself in a fine mess and to be careful, but she dispenses the advice almost as an outsider at that point, empathizing with a friend in trouble.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

HarryGoldfarb wrote:
Reza wrote:Straight's win, although a surprise, was the best of the bunch. Miranda Richardson was nominated many years later for a very similar role in Damage. Both characters hysterically and tearfully berate their husbands over extra marital affairs they are having. Such scenes usually guarantee Oscar nods.

Don't know why but this just reminds me of Michelle Williams... :laugh:
Believe me Michele Williams' response to Heath Ledger is merely a whimper compared to the lashing that both William Holden and Jeremy Irons get respectively from Beatrice Straight and Miranda Richardson. It's the sort of over-the-top scene that usually gets actors noticed and rewarded with nominations. In Beatrice Straight's case it was her only scene (of any consequence) and she gives it all she's got.
HarryGoldfarb
Adjunct

Post by HarryGoldfarb »

Reza wrote:Straight's win, although a surprise, was the best of the bunch. Miranda Richardson was nominated many years later for a very similar role in Damage. Both characters hysterically and tearfully berate their husbands over extra marital affairs they are having. Such scenes usually guarantee Oscar nods.

Don't know why but this just reminds me of Michelle Williams... :laugh:

Any other examples?
"If you place an object in a museum, does that make this object a piece of art?" - The Square (2017)

Return to “The Damien Bona Memorial Oscar History Thread”