Wings

1927/28 through 1997
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

It was also supposedly the first film to get the blessing of the Air Force and thus filmed partially on its training grounds.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
MovieWes
Professor

Post by MovieWes »

An interesting, but true, fact about Wings (well, for me at least): the majority of the movie was filmed at a military base that is within walking distance of my house.
"Young men make wars and the virtues of war are the virtues of young men: courage and hope for the future. Then old men make the peace, and the vices of peace are the vices of old men: mistrust and caution." -- Alec Guinness (Lawrence of Arabia)
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

Greg wrote:Damien, do you know if Wings was pre code? That would have allowed them to get away with more gayish content.
Yes, Wings was made several years before the Code.
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
Greg
Tenured

Post by Greg »

Damien, do you know if Wings was pre code? That would have allowed them to get away with more gayish content.
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

I saw the film with my late co-writer Mason, and regarding the scene you mentioned -- which in the print we saw was accompanied by the music for the song "My Buddy" -- we looked st each other and said, "Wow, this is the gayest Hollywood film ever," In fact, it's the relationship between Richard Arlen and Buddy Rogers that makes the film memorable and renders it an excellent standard bearer to ne the first Best Picture winner.
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

I'd like your thoughts on someone?

Does anyone find this film highly homoerotic. The biggest indication for me came from a scene at the end !SPOILER ALERT! where Jack is holding Dave in a manner very reminiscent of many Hollywood passionate love scenes.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin

Return to “The Damien Bona Memorial Oscar History Thread”