VCR Alert

1927/28 through 1997
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

Damien, what a nice offer. I'm actually a few blocks north of where you imagined (75th, between West End and Riverside), but I'm happy to take you up on your offer. Let me know when/how would be easiest to arrange this.

Magilla, you've reinforced my doubts about In Old Arizona. I literally had it in my hands two times in the past week, but each time ended up thinking, can I really justify spending $15 on a likely piece of junk (since so many of those 1929 nominees are pretty difficult to watch)? Oscar-completeness is indeed a stern taskmaster.

I watched Trader Horn back in the late 80s, when TNT first came on (and was basically TCM with commercials). Apart from the novelty of seeing 60-year-old location footage, I found it a very hard slog.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

I usually love Borzage's films but I could never get into Bad Girl, which used to be a TV staple as once was The House of Rothschild.

I bought In Old Arizona the day it came out expecting to find a long lost treasure as one of my childhood favorite TV shows was The Cisco Kid based on the character played by Warner Baxter with Duncan Renaldo and the wonderful Leo Carrillo, but instead found something quite unbearable. I could only watch the first few minutes of it. I'll give it another try some other time, but I was really disappointed in its primitive style and ludicrous over-the-top acting save for Warner Baxter who is fairly decent. His Oscar, though, could only have been given for his mellefluous speaking voice, the best of the nominated actors, which was soon to be eclisped by Ronald Colman's even more mellefluous voice. If Bulldog Drummond had been released earlier in the year, Colman, not Baxter, would more than likely have won on his voice instead.

Trader Horn is on TCM this week.
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

LOL, Tee because I was gonna do a VCR alert about House of Rothschild but figured it would be a "who cares?" post -- althoguh I certainly will be recording.

I have Bad Girl on video, and could make you a copy, but since my tape (which is a copy of a copy) is not great, you'd probably be better off if I lent my copy to you. We do, I think, live within 2 miles of each other. I'm on West 47th Street, and I know you're on the Upper West Side (if I had to guess, I'd say 69th between Columbus and CPW).

Bad Girl is quite a wonderful, though admittedly not flawless, picture, which has a splendidly evocative Depression-era New York atmosphere and is a beautiful example of Frank Borzage's unparalleled romanticism. It was also a highly influential movie in my growth as a film lover/critic/cinephile when I first saw it at the Museum of Modern Art in 1975.
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

What a stretch for hard-to-find nominees. Robinson Crusoe hits DVD, Merrily We Live on TCM...and now, tomorrow at 4PM, Fox Movie Channel has House of Rothschild, a 1934 best picture nominee with George Arliss.

To top it off, my local Tower now has on sale In Old Arizona -- the only acting winner I've never seen. I'm loathe to spend the $15 (for a movie I assume will suck), but it's not available for rental, so I may have to bite the bullet.

Can Bad Girl and East Lynne be far behind?

Return to “The Damien Bona Memorial Oscar History Thread”