gunnar
Assistant

Re: The Rogue Song

Post by gunnar »

Mister Tee wrote: The Barker
When My Baby Smiles at Me
The Blue Veil
A Medal for Benny
I'm a bit late on this so you may have seen all of these by now.

The Barker is available at the UCLA Film Archive. UCLA has six films on my list of films to see that I haven't been able to find elsewhere:

Drag
Sal of Singapore
The Barker
The Bridge of San Luis Rey (1929)
The Right to Love
The White Parade

As for the other three films on the quoted list above, I've seen all three and enjoyed The Blue Veil the most. A Medal for Benny wasn't bad, but I found When My Baby Smiles at Me to be rather dull.

I sent you a PM
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Mister Tee wrote: Valiant is the Word for Carrie
They Knew What They Wanted
Mister Tee please check your inbox message.
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

Mister Tee wrote:Great thanks for this. I don't think I ever knew Laurel & Hardy were connected to the movie.

The Barker
Valiant is the Word for Carrie
The Blue Veil
A Medal for Benny
I've never be able to track down a copy of The Barker though I believe one of the US film archives has a print.

Valiant is the Word for Carrie I got years ago from bootleg company. Good film though the transfer was poor.

When My Baby Smiles at Me used to play regularly on Australian cable TV back in the 1990s - surprised that has never shown up on DVD. Enjoyable stuff that it remains widely unseen is beyond mystifying.

I saw The Blue Veil at a repertory cinema back in the 1990s. The print was in really good condition and came from the National Film Archives of Australia. However, over the years due to various cutbacks of all public services including the arts by both sides of politics much of the collection has gone back to the right holders. So goodness knows where the print of The Blue Veil went - as yes it's a pretty good film elevated by Jane Wyman.

They Knew What They Wanted is available from a bootleg company in Spain on DVD. Copies can probably still be purchased on Amazon's Spain site and DaaVeeDee may still have it in stock. The quality of the transfer is fair.

A Medal for Benny I saw on bootleg back in 2007 and the print was serviceable at best.
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Mister Tee wrote:Great thanks for this. I don't think I ever knew Laurel & Hardy were connected to the movie.

Since we went through best picture nominees we're missing in your other thread, I'll list the other acting nominees for which I'm still searching (excluding the non-existent The Patriot):

The Barker
The Blue Veil
A Medal for Benny

They Knew What They Wanted was on local NY TV back around 1980. I'll forever regret friends talking me out of watching it that night, as it was my last opportunity.

Damien and Magilla have both told me that A Medal for Benny used to be part of NY's WNEW rotation in the 60s. That was before I'd had the list of supporting nominees, so it's possible I missed it. I can guarantee it hasn't turned up since 1970.

TCM does whole days of Jane Wyman films and never shows The Blue Veil, so I have to assume there's just no decent print of it available.

Ditto Dan Dailey films -- somehow the Oscar-nominated Baby never turns up when TCM does its cheesy musicals marathons.
I have all these on non-professional DVDs except for The Rogue Song, The Barker, and A Medal for Benny which I had at one time but the copy was so bad it was unwatchable and I got rid of it.

Valiant Is the Word for Carrie is Ok but if you've seen Gladys George in 1937's Madame X you know what to expect. It's a Paramount film, owned by Universal, that was a TV staple in the 1950s and could resurface at any time.

When My Baby Smiles at Me, except for his drunk scene, is pretty much the same Dan Dailey you get in Mother Wore Tights. It's a Fox film, why they never released it on home video is beyond me. They released just about everything else Betty Grable made.

They Knew What They Wanted was a disappointment to me considering the casting of of Charles Laughton, Carole Lombard and Oscar nominated William Gargan in roles long familiar to me from The Most Happy Fella. It's an RKO film. I have no idea why Warner Archive never released it.

The Blue Veil is a treasure thanks to Jane Wyman's performance and the gallery of supporting players who compliment her. The only film that I can compare it to is Marie Dressler's Emma. I understand there are rights issues. It was Wyman's personal favorite of her films. The only available copy is from a taping of an L.A. TV station showing decades ago. They managed to eliminate the commercials but not the annoying station breaks leading into them.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

Great thanks for this. I don't think I ever knew Laurel & Hardy were connected to the movie.

Since we went through best picture nominees we're missing in your other thread, I'll list the other acting nominees for which I'm still searching (excluding the non-existent The Patriot):

The Barker
The Blue Veil
A Medal for Benny

They Knew What They Wanted was on local NY TV back around 1980. I'll forever regret friends talking me out of watching it that night, as it was my last opportunity.

Damien and Magilla have both told me that A Medal for Benny used to be part of NY's WNEW rotation in the 60s. That was before I'd had the list of supporting nominees, so it's possible I missed it. I can guarantee it hasn't turned up since 1970.

TCM does whole days of Jane Wyman films and never shows The Blue Veil, so I have to assume there's just no decent print of it available.

Ditto Dan Dailey films -- somehow the Oscar-nominated Baby never turns up when TCM does its cheesy musicals marathons.
andrew
Graduate

The Rogue Song

Post by andrew »

Thought I'd let you know in case you hadn't seen it that there is a reconstruction of The Rogue Song on youtube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cekirq79Fzk

It has the complete soundtrack so you can at least hear why Lawrence Tibbett was nominated for an Oscar. There is about 30 minutes of footage and the rest is stills and descriptions. It's a shame there is so little of the Laurel and Hardy footage as you really need to see them but it's better than nothing.

Return to “The Damien Bona Memorial Oscar History Thread”