Best Cinematography 1964

1927/28 through 1997

What were the best B&W and Color Cinematography picks among the 1964 Oscar nominees?

The Americanization of Emily (Philip H. Lathrop)
No votes
Fate Is the Hunter (Milton R, Krasner)
No votes
Hush...Hush, Sweet Charlotte (Joseph F. Biroc)
20%
The Night of the Iguana (Gabriel Figueroa)
12%
Zorba the Greek (Walter Lassally)
20%
Becket (Geoffrey Unsworth)
4%
Cheyenne Autumn (William H. Colthier)
12%
Mary Poppins (Edward Colman)
24%
My Fair Lady (Harry Stradling Sr.)
8%
The Unsinkable Molly Brown (DanielL. Fapp)
No votes

Total votes: 25

Big Magilla
Site Admin

Re: Best Cinematography 1964

Post by Big Magilla »

Black-and-White

I like Hush...Hush, Sweet Charlotte but its seven Oscar nominations were overkill, no more so than with this one in which it was nominated over the likes of Dr. Strangelove, High and Low, A Hard Day's Night, The Servant, Seven Days in May and Séance on a Wet Afternoon, all of which were far better done.

Of the actual nominees, Fate Is the Hunter and The Americanization of Emily are decent also-rans but neither of them rise to the level of the unfairly snubbed. The Night of the Iguana is more visually interesting, but the only one that truly stands out is Zorba the Greek which deserved its win.

Color

No complaints here, though one could make a case for films as disparate as The World of Henry Orient Orient and The Fall of the Roman Empire but what would they replace?

Cheyenne Autumn was John Ford's apology for all those "bad Indian" movies he made but it is a bit ponderous.

The Unsinkable Molly Brown was visually impressive but the least of the three musicals nominated.

Becket was far and away the best photographed dramatic film in color, but this is really between My Fair Lady and Mary Poppins.

As impressive as Mary Poppins is, I have to go with My Fair Lady which is a stunning achievement in all areas but you have to see it on the big screen or on Blu-ray in its 2015 restoration to really appreciate the sublime look of the film. It was the best then, and it's the best now.
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

These aren't actually bad line-ups. None of the nominees scream out as overtly deserving but they are in general respectable.

B&W - I've only seen Zorba the Greek & Hush...Hush Sweet Charlotte on the big screen many moons ago and Fate is the Hunter on a stunning transfer on DVD from Spain. The Americanization of Emily & The Night of the Iguana I have only ever seen on VHS but I own Emily on Blu Ray & Iguana on DVD and being a Warners, whose discs from about 2005 to 2009 are starting to fail, it's high on my reviewing list. It's also the film I voted for as the photography captured the mood of the piece.

Colour - I've only seen Becket on the big screen (decades ago) and recently rewatched it on DVD. Its a good looking film, marked by an appropriate drab look. I watched Mary Poppins on Blu Ray nearly two years ago primarily because I hated the film when I saw it years ago and must admit that I enjoyed it immensely more the second time round where it looked spectacular compared to my VHS experience. It is the film I voted for. I've only even seen the remaining three films on VHS and there is no doubt my indifference to them doesn't exactly endear them to me in any way.

Omissions: Not surprisingly Hollywood offered nothing much better than what was nominated and I found the best work of the year from foreign films such as Unholy Desire, Red Desert, Onibaba, Woman in the Dunes & A Married Woman.
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Mister Tee wrote:Once again, I have to hold off, missing one in each designation -- Fate is the Hunter and Cheyenne Autumn. The latter is Netflix-available; I'll just have wait on luck for the former (trust to fate, as it were).
Fate Is the Hunter is available on line here:

https://www6.putlockertv.to/watch/fate- ... y0v/x8pnm8
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Mister Tee wrote: You may have already realized you have "Night of the Hunter" where you intended "Night of the Iguana".
Nope, thanks!
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

1) You may have already realized you have "Night of the Hunter" where you intended "Night of the Iguana".

2) Once again, I have to hold off, missing one in each designation -- Fate is the Hunter and Cheyenne Autumn. The latter is Netflix-available; I'll just have wait on luck for the former (trust to fate, as it were).

3) Goddamn, these missing movies are long -- 2 1/2 hours or more for both In Harm's Way and Cheyenne Autumn. Thank god I've already seen the other big behemoths.
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Black & White
1. Zorba the Greek
2. The Night of the Iguana
3. Hush...Hush Sweet Charlotte
4. The Americanization of Emily
5. Fate is the Hunter

Colour
1. My Fair Lady