Presenter Update Assistance

1927/28 through 1997
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Re: Presenter Update Assistance

Post by OscarGuy »

Well, I don't want to work on guesses. I wrote a lengthy e-mail to the Academy's Library to see if I could get some answers to my outstanding questions.

However, after I did that, of course I found some others as I was doing some formatting. Yay for finding shit after the fact. Anyway, here are the special awards that aren't reflected as having been given out at the Academy ceremonies.

1936 (9th)
Special award to W. Howard Greene & Harold Rosson for The Graden of Allah's color cinematography

1937 (10th)
Special award to W. Howard Greene for A Star Is Born's color cinematography

1939 (12th)
Special award to William Cameron Menzies for Gone With the Wind
Special award to the Technicolor Company

1945 (18th)
Special award to Republic Studio, Daniel J. Bloomberg and Republic Studio Sound Department

1952 (25th)
Special award to George Alfred Mitchell
Special award to Merian C. Cooper

1959 (32nd)
Special award to Lee DeForest
Special award to Buster Keaton

1977 (50th)
Special Achievement Award Benjamin Burtt Jr. for Star Wars

2015 (88th)
Special plaque to the Society of Motion Picture & Television Engineers

These other presentations I also don't find:

Thalberg Awards in 1948 and 1950
Hersholt Award in 1957
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Thank you, Greg. I confirmed it on IMDb.

Raiders of the Lost Ark also won a special achievement award for sound effects.

My guess is these two awards were considered either scientific or technical awards, which is why they are not considered official Oscar winners.
Greg
Tenured

Post by Greg »

In 1984, Amadeus won a competitive award for Sound and The River won a special award for Sound Effects.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

According to Inside Oscar, the Thalberg wasn't given between 1962 and 1964, but Oscars.Org does confirm the Thalberg to Spiegel as a 1963 awards event.

There were no Oscars given for sound effects in 1981 or 1984 - Raiders of the Lost Ark and The River won for Best Sound.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

A couple of questions. on the 1963 Thalberg, the 1981 SFX, and the 1984 SFX, you say "not given." I just want to clarify that you meant they were not presented on the show and not that they weren't given.

The Thalberg in 63 when to Sam Spiegel, the SFX in 1981 went to Raiders of the Lost Ark, and the SFX in 1984 went to The River.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

I am missing presenters (and where in the presentation award they were given for the following:

Documentary Feature - 18th (1945) - apparently not part of the show
Documentary Short - 14th (1941) - Bob Hope (all short subjects)
Documentary Short - 18th (1945) - apparently not part of the show
Film Editing - 11th (1938) - not listed in Inside Oscar and not mentioned in detailed write-up
Thalberg Award - 36th (1963) - no honorary awards given this year
Original Song - 15th (1942) - Irving Berlin famously presented the award to himself
Original Song - 18th (1945)- oddly not mentioned in Inside Oscar even though all 14 nominees were sung as part of the show
Sound Recording - 8th (1935) - not indicated, but may have been covered in technical awards presentation by Nathan Levinson
Sound Effects Editing - 1981 (54th) - not given
Sound Effects Editing - 1984 (57th) - not given
Visual Effects - 1976 (49th) - Roy Scheider

I have the following listed as being presented in the given year except that the award was not given that year:

Documentary Short - 15th (1942) - David O. Selznick presented the documentary awards, of which there were four given - features and shorts were combined among the twenty-five nominees - not sure how many were shorts but Disney's The Grain That Built a Hemisphere was one

I have the announcers for the telecasts listed for all of the following years. I need the information for all of the ones I'm missing:
1952 (25th), 1964 (37th)-1967 (40th), 1971 (44th)-2016 (89th)
So, I need 1941 (24th) and prior; 1953 (26th) to 1963 (36th); and 1968 (41st) to 1970 (43rd)

No idea

I am missing presenters for the following, though I suspect they might have been given out during specific segments instead of individually:

Thalberg Award
1948 (21st) - could it have been during the "honorary awards" segment presented by Jean Hersholt? - yes
1950 (23rd) - could it have been during the "honorary awards" segment presented by Charles Brackett? - yes

Hersholt Award
1957 (30th) - could it have been during the "honorary awards" segment presented by Bette Davis? - yes

I'm not sure that the Scientific & Technical Achievement Awards were even referenced (at least like they are today) or however they were presented in the years I have information on, but these are the years that I don't show any sci-tech segment at the respective ceremony.

1938 (11th), 1945 (18th), 1959 (32nd), 1961 (34th)-1963 (36th), 1965 (38th)-1967 (40th), 1969 (42nd)-1976 (49th), 1979 (52nd)-1982 (35th), 1985 (58th)-1986 (59th)

They were not always mentioned.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

OscarGuy wrote: And last, while these could fit into a couple of the above, I thought I would spell it out separately.
At the 1975 Academy Awards, I have a single entry for Special Achievement Award, not plural, but singular. The thing is, I have both Sound Effects and Visual Effects special achievement awards listed as being given out that year. Could this have been a catch-all for both or is it for one of them only and the second I'm missing data on?
The Hindenburg was cited for both, but it was presented in one segment -- the producers of the show presumably deciding that was already more show-time than a crappy movie like The Hindenburg deserved.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Thanks for the updates again. I did some further digging tonight (still haven't found my copy of Inside Oscar 1 or 2) and have what I hope to be the last questions I have...

I am missing presenters (and where in the presentation award they were given for the following:

Documentary Feature - 18th (1945)
Documentary Short - 14th (1941)
Documentary Short - 18th (1945)
Film Editing - 11th (1938)
Thalberg Award - 36th (1963)
Original Song - 15th (1942)
Original Song - 18th (1945)
Sound Recording - 8th (1935)
Sound Effects Editing - 1981 (54th)
Sound Effects Editing - 1984 (57th)
Visual Effects - 1976 (49th)

I have the following listed as being presented in the given year except that the award was not given that year:

Documentary Short - 15th (1942)

I have the announcers for the telecasts listed for all of the following years. I need the information for all of the ones I'm missing:
1952 (25th), 1964 (37th)-1967 (40th), 1971 (44th)-2016 (89th)
So, I need 1941 (24th) and prior; 1953 (26th) to 1963 (36th); and 1968 (41st) to 1970 (43rd)

I am missing presenters for the following, though I suspect they might have been given out during specific segments instead of individually:

Thalberg Award
1948 (21st) - could it have been during the "honorary awards" segment presented by Jean Hersholt?
1950 (23rd) - could it have been during the "honorary awards" segment presented by Charles Brackett?

Hersholt Award
1957 (30th) - could it have been during the "honorary awards" segment presented by Bette Davis?

I'm not sure that the Scientific & Technical Achievement Awards were even referenced (at least like they are today) or however they were presented in the years I have information on, but these are the years that I don't show any sci-tech segment at the respective ceremony.

1938 (11th), 1945 (18th), 1959 (32nd), 1961 (34th)-1963 (36th), 1965 (38th)-1967 (40th), 1969 (42nd)-1976 (49th), 1979 (52nd)-1982 (35th), 1985 (58th)-1986 (59th)

And last, while these could fit into a couple of the above, I thought I would spell it out separately.
At the 1975 Academy Awards, I have a single entry for Special Achievement Award, not plural, but singular. The thing is, I have both Sound Effects and Visual Effects special achievement awards listed as being given out that year. Could this have been a catch-all for both or is it for one of them only and the second I'm missing data on?
Wesley Lovell
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

OscarGuy wrote:- 49th Oscars: I need verification that Tatum O'Neal presented Best Supporting Actor
I can verify.
OscarGuy wrote:- 57th Oscars: These may resolve each other, but I have Original Song being presented twice, once by Kathleen Turner and Michael Douglas and the other by Gregory Hines; additionally, I'm missing a presentation for the Original Song Score award. I'm guessing that one of these two sets of Original Song presentation was Original Song Score, but not sure which one.
Song was Hines; song score was Turner/Douglas. (You don't mention music score, but, should you need them, it was Ann Reinking and Jeff Bridges.)
OscarGuy wrote:- 81st Oscars: I have the lists of the Oscar Friends who introduced each nominee for Actor, Actress, Supporting Actor, and Supporting Actress, but for some reason I don't have down who opened the respective envelopes. Marion Cotillard and Tilda Swinton are the only ones who were winners the prior year, but since they broke with the gender presentation that year, I don't want to assume they opened them.
Cotillard and Swinton indeed did the honors; Michael Douglas and Alan Arkin read out the men's categories.

Sorry, those are the only ones I can handle.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

18th Oscars: Still need verification on who presented "The House I Live In" an Oscar
George Murphy
- 20th Oscars: I seem to be missing who presented the award for Best Drama or Comedy Score.
Larry Parks
- 32nd Oscars: I seem to be missing who presented the award for Best Drama or Comedy Score.
Eva Marie Saint and Anthony Franciosa
- 37th Oscars: I have the Foreign Language Film award presentation by Rex Harrison listed twice. Once between the Sci-Tech and Supporting Actress award and once between Original Song and the Writing awards.
It was the latter.
- 41st Oscars: I still don't have info on where in the presentation order the Hersholt award was presented
For the third time, if I didn't make myself clear earlier, it was immediately following the presentation of Best Director.
- 49th Oscars: I need verification that Tatum O'Neal presented Best Supporting Actor
It was Tatum, accompanied by her father, Ryan. Tatum was the number one female box office star of the year thanks to The Bad News Bears.
- 57th Oscars: These may resolve each other, but I have Original Song being presented twice, once by Kathleen Turner and Michael Douglas and the other by Gregory Hines; additionally, I'm missing a presentation for the Original Song Score award. I'm guessing that one of these two sets of Original Song presentation was Original Song Score, but not sure which one.
Hines was Song, Turner and Douglas, Song score.
- 65th Oscars: I have Gregory Peck presenting a Hersholt early in the ceremony and Angela Lansbury presenting a Hersholt at the end of the ceremony. Which Hersholt winner was presented in each of these spots?
Peck to his Roman Holiday co-star (Audrey Hepburn), Lansbury to her National Velvet co-star (Elizabeth Taylor).
- 84th Oscars: I'm missing the time of the start of the Red Carpet special for this year.
No clue.
- 88th Oscars: I'm missing the time of the start of the Red Carpet special for this year.
No clue.
- 89th Oscars: I'm missing both the time of the start of the Red Carpet special for this year as well as the list of pre-show hosts.
No clue.
- 81st Oscars: I have the lists of the Oscar Friends who introduced each nominee for Actor, Actress, Supporting Actor, and Supporting Actress, but for some reason I don't have down who opened the respective envelopes. Marion Cotillard and Tilda Swinton are the only ones who were winners the prior year, but since they broke with the gender presentation that year, I don't want to assume they opened them.
I think Swinton for Cruz and Shirley MacLaine for Cotillard, but my memory may be off - can't find any documentation, but Oscars. org lists Swinton and MacLaine last among the presenters if that means anything.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

I've come across another bunch of questions. I will probably have another set as soon as I do some research on other things, but here are some of the outstanding questions I need help with.

- 18th Oscars: Still need verification on who presented "The House I Live In" an Oscar

- 20th Oscars: I seem to be missing who presented the award for Best Drama or Comedy Score.

- 32nd Oscars: I seem to be missing who presented the award for Best Drama or Comedy Score.

- 37th Oscars: I have the Foreign Language Film award presentation by Rex Harrison listed twice. Once between the Sci-Tech and Supporting Actress award and once between Original Song and the Writing awards.

- 41st Oscars: I still don't have info on where in the presentation order the Hersholt award was presented

- 49th Oscars: I need verification that Tatum O'Neal presented Best Supporting Actor

- 57th Oscars: These may resolve each other, but I have Original Song being presented twice, once by Kathleen Turner and Michael Douglas and the other by Gregory Hines; additionally, I'm missing a presentation for the Original Song Score award. I'm guessing that one of these two sets of Original Song presentation was Original Song Score, but not sure which one.

- 65th Oscars: I have Gregory Peck presenting a Hersholt early in the ceremony and Angela Lansbury presenting a Hersholt at the end of the ceremony. Which Hersholt winner was presented in each of these spots?

- 84th Oscars: I'm missing the time of the start of the Red Carpet special for this year.

- 88th Oscars: I'm missing the time of the start of the Red Carpet special for this year.

- 89th Oscars: I'm missing both the time of the start of the Red Carpet special for this year as well as the list of pre-show hosts.

- 81st Oscars: I have the lists of the Oscar Friends who introduced each nominee for Actor, Actress, Supporting Actor, and Supporting Actress, but for some reason I don't have down who opened the respective envelopes. Marion Cotillard and Tilda Swinton are the only ones who were winners the prior year, but since they broke with the gender presentation that year, I don't want to assume they opened them.
Wesley Lovell
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Re: 17th Academy Awards

Post by Big Magilla »

Martha Raye was right after Director.

The Gish reference was an aside. Inside Oscar had Gregory Peck as Gish's presenter.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Thanks for helping on these. To clarify a couple.

On the Martha Raye thing, I didn't see where you referenced where the award was presented in the show. I saw where you mentioned director, though.

On the Gish thing. I'm not sure where that comes from. I have it down as Melvyn Douglas already. My question was regarding Special Visual Effects, not the categoryies you mentioned.
Big Magilla wrote: 41st Academy Awards
"Further, I have the Jean Hersholt Humanitarian Award and Director not listed in order. Inside Oscar listed presenters in order, so I'm trying to figure out in what order they were presented."

Bob Hope, Martha Raye's WWII buddy, was the surprise presenter of her Jean Hersholt Humanitarian Award.

43rd Academy Awards
"Wikipedia shows Juliet Prowse as co-presenter for Special Visual Effects, Inside Oscar only lists Lola Falana"

Inside Oscar write-up skips from Honorary Award to Lillian Gish to Supporting Actor.

There is an error on Gish's award presentation, though. It was Melvyn Douglas, not Gregory Peck, who presented it.
Wesley Lovell
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Three last (hopefully) things.

I have records for the 16th Academy Awards that list Edgar Bergen & Charlie McCarthy, Ray Bolger, Susanna Foster, Mitizi Gerber, Lena Horne, Betty Hutton, Kay Kyser & His Band, and Red Skelton as "performers." I assume that these were just random performances that took place during the broadcast and not actual performances of the original songs.

Related: Was the 18th Academy Awards for 1945 the first year the original songs were performed on the broadcast?

For the 18th Academy Awards, I show George Murphy as presenting both special awards, to Peggy Ann Garner and to The House I Live In. Inside Oscar only listed the award to Peggy Ann Garner. Is this correct?
Wesley Lovell
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

31st Academy Awards
Inside Oscar lists Jean Simmons and Louis Jourdan as presenters of the 1958 Film Editing award but it isn't covered in the write-up of the show

35th Academy Awards
Audrey Hepburn introduced the 1962 Costume Design awards on film from Paris, Eva Marie Saint opened the envelope and read the winner's name.

41st Academy Awards
"Writing Awards on Wikipedia show Don Rickles as co-presenter, but Inside Oscar doesn't list him."

Rickles did his schtick between Roz Russell and Frank Sinatra's presentation of the writing awards at the 1968 awards. He was not a presenter. All the awards with the exception of the Jean Hersholt Humanitarian Award were presented by the hosts that year.

"Short Subject Awards on Wikipedia shows Pink Panther as a co-presenter, but Inside Oscar doesn't list him."
Couldn't find the reference.

"Further, I have the Jean Hersholt Humanitarian Award and Director not listed in order. Inside Oscar listed presenters in order, so I'm trying to figure out in what order they were presented."

Best Director followed Best Score and was presented by the five female co-hosts, Ingrid Bergman, Rosalind Russell, Natlaie Wood, Diahann Carroll and Jane Fonda.

Bob Hope, Martha Raye's WWII buddy, was the surprise presenter of her Jean Hersholt Humanitarian Award.

43rd Academy Awards
"Wikipedia shows Juliet Prowse as co-presenter for Special Visual Effects, Inside Oscar only lists Lola Falana"

Inside Oscar write-up skips from Honorary Award to Lillian Gish to Supporting Actor.

There is an error on Gish's award presentation, though. It was Melvyn Douglas, not Gregory Peck, who presented it.

46th Academy Awards
"Wikipedia lists Walter Matthau as co-presenter for Best Director, but Inside Oscar doesn't list him."

Matthau was probably a last minute addition, but yes, he did co-present Best Director with Shirley MacLaine at the 1973 awards.

47th Academy Awards
"Wikipedia lists O.J. Simpson as co-presenter for Art Direction, but Inside Oscar doesn't list him."
Sammy Davis, Jr. introduced only Susan Blakeley, her Towering Inferno co-star was a surprise co-presenter at the 1974 awards.

48th Academy Awards
"Wikipedia lists Jennifer O'Neill as co-presenter for Costume Design, but Inside Oscar doesn't list her."
Robert Shaw only introduced listed presenter Savalas, but O'Neill was there to read the winner's name at the 1975 awards.

49th Academy Awards
"Wikipedia lists Muhammad Ali as co-presenter for Supporting Actress, but Inside Oscar doesn't list him."
Sylvester Stallone, in the year of Rocky, was the announced presenter, Muhammed Ali was his surprise co-presenter at the 1976 awards.

50th Academy Awards
"Wikipedia lists Mickey Mouse in lieu of Mickey Rooney as co-presenter for Animated Short (could be a typo on my part)."
Where did you get Mickey Rooney from? Mickey Mouse, who is also listed in Inside Oscar, was correct. Paul Williams and Jodie Foster assisted him at the 1977 awards.

51st Academy Awards
"Wikipedia lists Woody Woodpecker as co-presenter for the Honorary Award to Walter Lantz, but Inside Oscar doesn't list him."
Woody Woodpecker was a surprise co-presenter with Robin Williams at the 1978 Oscars.

I'm also apparently missing a whole section from the presenter list for this year. My current list skips from the Scoring Awards down to Supporting Actress. Wikipedia lists the following (in-order?) Honorary Award to the Museum of Modern Art, presented by Gregory Peck; Honorary Award to King Vidor, presented by Audrey Hepburn; Foreign Film, presented by Natalie Wood and Yul Brynner; and Jean Hersholt award, presented by Jack Valenti. Can anyone verify these and their order in the ceremony?

Those are correct and in the correct order.

52nd Academy Awards
Need to verify that between the Special Achievement Award and the Thalberg award, the award for Sound was presented by Rod Steiger and Sally Kellerman.

Not mentioned in Inside Oscar for the 1979 awards.

58th Academy Awards
"I have down that Donald Sutherland presented with Debbie Reynolds and Gene Kelly for the Music Awards. I'm pretty sure it's supposed to be Donald O'Connor, but I wanted to verify."

Yes, it was Donald O'Connor.

Return to “The Damien Bona Memorial Oscar History Thread”