Anouke Aimée - A Man and a Woman
10%
Ida Kaminska - The Shop on Main Street
8%
Lynn Redgrave - Georgy Girl
15%
Vanessa Redgrave - Morgan
No votes
Elizabeth Taylor - Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?
68%

Total votes: 40

bizarre
Assistant

Re: Best Actress 1966

Post by bizarre »

I've seen Taylor and Kaminska. Taylor is terrfiic for reasons that everyone else has covered. I do prefer Burton's and Dennis' performances, though, and she fades from the picture for a large stretch of the film's middle.

The Shop on Main Street is a fabulous film, but Kaminska is one-note - she never plays the character as someone who willingly blocks these things out. That's all script and reflected light from Jozef Króner's wonderful performance. In actuality it's a shrill, tedious caricature.

My picks:

1. Bibi Andersson, Persona
2. Liv Ullmann, Persona
3. Elizabeth Taylor, Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?
4. Maya Bulgakova, Wings
5. Tuesday Weld, Lord Love a Duck
mayukh
Graduate

Post by mayukh »

Aimee's nomination, I think, is one of the most pointless ever – she's a great actress and she certainly deserved a nomination at some point in her career, but not for this kind of banal trifle. Absurd nomination, and one really has to wonder what the Academy was thinking when Lelouch's film won awards over The Battle of Algiers and Loves of a Blonde.

Taylor was sensational in the best and worst sense of the word. I thought she was simply divine in her sort of tragically comical scenes, but her dramatics rang hollow. I always thought her performance was a tad artificial.

Ida Kaminska is very affecting, but it's ultimately between the two Redgrave sisters for me. Vanessa is glorious – charismatic but also subtle, absolutely radiant and very self-aware. But I ultimately give my award to Lynn, headstrong, petulant, and achingly vulnerable.
Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

Tough Lineup. But Taylor performance as Martha is irresistible. A movie that never ages.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

Apparently I've single-handedly cost Elizabeth Taylor a landslide.

I don't know what to say; it's apparently a Rohrschach test. You guys see depths beneath a relatively unvarying surface. For me, it's just a demonstration of less being less. As I said, I have nothing against the performance; I just don't much respond to it. (As opposed to, say, Whoopi Goldberg in The Color Purple -- another performance I've had people insist to me is brilliant but which has always struck me as entirely vapid)
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Mister Tee's dismissal and Magilla's use of the word "lovely" to describe her performance surprised me as well.

I think Ida Kaminska is hauntingly brilliant and unforgettable in The Shop on Main Street. The fact that Mrs. Lautmann either doesn’t hear what's going on, or doesn’t want to hear it, becomes a coping mechanism the character uses throughout the film to deal with unpleasant situations which ultimately contributes to her downfall. Is she really completely unaware that WWII is raging around her? Does she simply choose to dodder around in a frustrating oblivion? Reducing her actions to a total "obliviousness" seems to miss a lot of what she's doing in that performance. It's a difficult character to play and I think she pulls it off with devastating aplomb.

This category has always belonged to La Liz in an absolutely sensational performance in Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?. With all those odds working against her (playing-against-age, the make-up, the-this-the-that) her turn as Martha succeeds on so many levels (including the meta-level), there is a certain justice to her win here, especially in light of her previous undeserved win.

But Kaminska is every bit as deserving, make no mistake about it. I'm throwing a vote her way on general principle.

Edited By flipp525 on 1252966678
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

I can't argue with the fact that Elizabeth Taylor is running away with this. It's a deserving performance in a role where no one had any reason to expect her to succeed. In a way she was one of the first beauties to get ugly and get an Oscar, but unlike many who followed her lead, I think she pulls it off.

If Kaminska's and Taylor's films had been released in different years, like 65 and 66 (or even 66 and 67), both would've gotten my vote in those years, no question. In the same year it's a little tougher, thought. I suspected Taylor would run away with this, though, and so I voted for Ida Kaminska, whose quick dismissal from Mister Tee is surprising to me. Here's something a blogger wrote about Kaminska that sums up my feelings about her performance pretty well:

But as the nightmare of the town's occupation and, worse, the psychological colonizations and, worst, the ominous deportations begins to encroach, Kaminská not only deepens our connection to her character, and plays her fear and despair more directly, she also reveals an impressive scheme behind the earlier movements in the performance. "I know you're only pretending! You knew what was happening!" Tony shouts, in a long-escalating and grotesquely self-serving context: he's drunk, exorcising his own guilt, and desperate to save his own ass. But, in his reprehensible way, which could never be "right," is he onto something? Kaminská's elaborate mimesis of deafness and ignorance starts to crack, such that we grasp it in retrospect as the character's own semi-willful mimesis. What did she know? What did she understand, and what does she now understand? Without violating the tact or the formal lightness of touch that characterize this film (and many other touchstones of the mid-1960s Czech New Wave), Kaminská constructs a performance that seems, occasionally, too heavy or stagebound or old-fashioned but reveals itself as an inspired, deeply affecting, and ethically courageous decision to speculate about a victim's own denials—this isn't the first time this widow has refused a truth—and about the moments when disavowal is forced to give way to something else. Her line-reading of the single word "pogrom" raises more ghosts and asks more cutting questions than do most Holocaust-themed films, even those with direct representations of the kind this film refuses.

Edited By dws1982 on 1252941048
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

I think it's somehow fitting that an actress of as wild extremes as Elizabeth Taylor would give one of the worst performances to ever win the Best Actress Oscar ('60) and one of the best ('66).
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Mister Tee wrote:Redgrave V. does really beautiful, subtle work -- so subtle that when I first saw it, age 18, I didn't have a clue what critics had seen in her. It takes a more educated palate to recognize what a fine job she does.

I did not get Vanessa's nod.....probably because I was so annoyed watching the over-the-top antics of David Warner that her ''subtle'' work here escaped me. I always thought her nod was the Academy's way of welcoming a younger member of a great acting dynasty.....it helped that Vanessa was very much part of the swinging 60s scene, and mood of the moment, along with Christie, Terence Stamp, The Beatles, Michael Caine, David Hemmings, Twiggy, Jean Shrimpton etc. and wife of acclaimed film and stage director Tony Richardson. She was also seen in a brief unbilled part as Anne Boleyn in the year's most acclaimed film, A Man For All Seasons, in addition to her participation in Antonioni's Blow-Up. And she was already a fairly acclaimed star on stage.

Have not see Ida Kaminska's film but love the dreamy quality of A Man and a Wloman and Anouk Aimee's performance.

Anyway I voted for La Liz.

My own personal top 5:

Elizabeth Taylor, Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?
Sharmila Tagore, Anupama
Lynn Redgrave, Georgy Girl
Virginia McKenna, Born Free
Anouk Aimee, A Man and a Woman

Edited By Reza on 1252903570
mlrg
Associate

Post by mlrg »

Elizabeth Taylor - Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

Five good performances. Anouk Aimee was pure cinema, one of those faces the camera can't not fall in love with. I'm not sure she was a great actress, and she was better in other (French or Italian) movies than in A Man and a Woman... but when you have that face, you dont have to be Eleonora Duse. (And Aimee WAS a good actress anyway).

Lynn Redgrave is affecting in Georgy Girl, Vanessa Redgrave is subtle in Morgan, Ida Kaminska is one of those Oscar oddities that you want to root for... but this is a Hollywood prize after all, and La Taylor is the perfect embodiment of the kind of actress Oscar is meant for. I wouldnt vote for her if she didnt deserve it though, and in Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf she's so effective that she makes you forget how miscast she is.
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

Ida Kaminska.
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

Aimee was obviously nominated in salute to her film's (unfathomable out of its era) popularity. Nothing notable.

I find Kaminska wildly overrated -- the utter obliviousness of her character makes for a strictly one note performance. Not bad or anything, but also not memorable.

Redgrave V. does really beautiful, subtle work -- so subtle that when I first saw it, age 18, I didn't have a clue what critics had seen in her. It takes a more educated palate to recognize what a fine job she does.

Lynn's work reaches the audience more directly, and she's just wonderful. When I first saw the film, at age 14, I fell head over heels in love with her, and was crushed when she didn't win the Oscar. In a re-viewing last year, I thought both film and performance held up remarkably well. Redgrave does a great job creating a character who's vulnerable and sympathetic but also has a keen survival sense beneath it all.

But the chief reason I was so heavily rooting for Lynn in April 1967 is that I hadn't seen Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? -- it being the first "No One Under 18 Admitted" major movies, 14-15 year old me was barred from it. When I saw it a few years later, my allegiance shifted sharply. I know Elizabeth Taylor is not, by objective standards, much of an actress...and I know getting to put on weight and drink and swear -- and perform Albee's scathing dialogue -- are all Oscar-bait. But, damn, I just think she's sensational in the part. Any other year, I'd stick with Lynn, but Taylor is my clear choice of this bunch.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Elizabeth Taylor will win this one without any help from me, so I'm giving my vote to Lynn Redgrave who was just as worthy in Georgy Girl, so much so that the New York Film Critics couldn't decide between them and voted a vote.

Even, this is one year the National Society of Film Critics may have gotten it right in giving the award to 83 year-old French character actress Sylvie for her wonderful late career triumph in The Shameless Old Lady.

Vanessa Redgrave is marvelous in Morgan! but her best work is ahead of her. She's good enough for a nomination, but not a win.

Ida Kaminska gives a lovely performance in The Shop on Main Street but her screen time is limited. The film focuses on co-star Josef Kroner who oddly did not receive the same amount of acclaim at the time. I'd have given her token old lady slot to Sylvie.

The one I don't get at all is Anouk Aimee. A Man and a Woman was a big hit but the only thing I ever found it good for, in theaters or on home video, is as an instant cure for insomnia. I'd have preferred a nod for Anne Bancroft in 7 Women instead.

Edited By Big Magilla on 1258001562
jowy_jillia
Graduate

Post by jowy_jillia »

T-A-Y-L-O-R

1. Julie Christie - The Sound of Music - 9 votes
2. Julie Andrews - The Sound of Music - 6 votes
3. Samantha Eggar - The Collector - 1 vote
4. Elizabeth Hartman - A Patch of Blue - 1 vote

1. Kim Stanley - Séance on a Wet Afternoon - 7 votes
2. Julie Andrews - Mary Poppins - 6 votes
3. Anne Bancroft - The Pumpkin Eater - 3 votes