Best Screenplay 1959

1927/28 through 1997

What were the best original and adapted screenplays of 1959?

The 400 Blows (Francois Truffaut and Marcel Moussy)
13%
North by Northwest (Ernest Lehman)
18%
Operation Petticoat (Paul King, Joseph J. Stone, Stanley Shapiro and Maurice Richlin)
No votes
Pillow Talk (Russell Rouse, Clarence Green, Stanley Shapiro and Maurice Richlin)
3%
Wild Strawberries (Ingmar Bergman)
13%
Anatomy of a Murder (Wendell Mayes)
8%
Ben-Hur (Karl Tunberg)
No votes
The Nun's Story (Robert Anderson)
5%
Room at the Top (Neil Paterson)
3%
Some Like it Hot (Billy Wilder and I. A. L. Diamond)
37%

Total votes: 38

CalWilliam
Temp

Re: Best Screenplay 1959

Post by CalWilliam »

Truly exhilarating competition, in both categories.

Please someome explain how Pillow Talk could have won at the time, and why.

It's a very tough choice between Bergman, Truffaut and Hitchcock, but I voted for Lehman. It's not exactly deep writing (as the other two are), but it's so iconic and fondly remembered that it's enough of a reason this time. And it's the most Original Screenplay too.

Five very good films borderline great in Adapted.
Anatomy of a Murder is bold as movies are not so anymore. Room at the Top still remains as a fascinating intimacy. Ben-Hur provides subtlety along with epic and adventure in a perfect balance to me. Some Like it Hot deals with transgression in the best possible way, and The Nun's Story is a complex, respectful character study, which is my final vote, as a claim for a very underrated effort.
"Rage, rage against the dying of the light". - Dylan Thomas
Greg
Tenured

Re: Best Screenplay 1959

Post by Greg »

I can't vote as I have not seen all the movies. I have seen and love both the, at least so far, winning scripts, North By Northwest and Some Like It Hot.

The cut and fade-to at the very end of North By Northwest is one of my all-time favorite endings. I consider this not only terrific editing, but believe a lot of credit should go to the script for stating what is to happen.

Some Like It Hot is, of course, hilarious; and, my favorite funny line is "Now you've done it! Now you've done it! You've just torn off my chest!"
Kellens101
Temp

Best Screenplay 1959

Post by Kellens101 »

What were the best screenplays of 1959?

Return to “The Damien Bona Memorial Oscar History Thread”