Motion Picture Story

1927/28 through 1997
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Re: Motion Picture Story

Post by Big Magilla »

Watched it the other day. I don't know if I've ever seen this or not, but the ending seemed awfully familiar, so either I have or the ending was used in a later film - not the 1942 film with the same title, which is a completely different story.
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

The Original BJ wrote:Since this is where we had previously listed our sources for more obscure titles, here's one I just found:

The 1929/30 Screenplay nominee Street of Chance is available online. It's the one writing nominee that year that isn't a Best Picture nominee, so I assume some people might be missing just that one (as I was).

If you Google "The Card Sharks 1930," the first item that comes up reads "The Card Sharks 1930 William Powell, Kay Francis, Jean Arthur." Go there. The movie that plays is Street of Chance. There's a strange overlay of the title with contemporary text that reads "The Card Sharks," but ignore that.

I went down quite the online rabbit hole to stumble on this, and figured I should share.
Thank you. Watching it now.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Good detective work. The site it's running on is archive.org AKA Wayback Machine, which boats 284 billion web pages.
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

Since this is where we had previously listed our sources for more obscure titles, here's one I just found:

The 1929/30 Screenplay nominee Street of Chance is available online. It's the one writing nominee that year that isn't a Best Picture nominee, so I assume some people might be missing just that one (as I was).

If you Google "The Card Sharks 1930," the first item that comes up reads "The Card Sharks 1930 William Powell, Kay Francis, Jean Arthur." Go there. The movie that plays is Street of Chance. There's a strange overlay of the title with contemporary text that reads "The Card Sharks," but ignore that.

I went down quite the online rabbit hole to stumble on this, and figured I should share.
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Big Magilla wrote:The Sheepman was an early Warner Archive release.

You can rent it at classisflix along with many others you can't find at Netflix:

http://classicflix.com/search_result.ph ... e+sheepman
Thanks for that, Magilla. They have a ton of the titles I'm missing that aren't available on Netflix, and many that would be more expensive to rent on iTunes one by one.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

The Sheepman was an early Warner Archive release.

You can rent it at classisflix along with many others you can't find at Netflix:

http://classicflix.com/search_result.ph ... e+sheepman
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

The Original BJ wrote:
Mister Tee wrote:It might be helpful, if people find convenient ways to track down obscurer titles, that they share their sources. Not that everyone has access to every service, but I know I see a number of films in years just upcoming that I haven't been able to track down, and suggestions would be welcome.
You've no doubt seen many of these over the years, but here are some films not readily available (by which I mean Netflix/iTunes) that I found pretty quickly on YouTube:

The Goddess (1958)
It Happens Every Spring (1949)
Jolson Sings Again (1949)
The Quiet One (1949)
The Dark Mirror (1946)
The Affairs of Susan (1945)
The House on 92nd Street (1945)
The Sullivans (1944) (on YouTube as The Fighting Sullivans)
Wing and a Prayer (1944)
Holy Matrimony (1943)
The North Star (1943)
One of Our Air Craft is Missing (1942)
Tall, Dark, and Handsome (1941)
Tom, Dick, and Harry (1941)
Bachelor Mother (1939)
The Gay Deception (1935)
Laughter (1930/31)
Holiday (1930/31)
Our Dancing Daughters (1928/29)
A Woman of Affairs (1928/29)
Thanks -- I've only seen a little over half of them, so I'll be YouTubing plenty in the coming weeks. I'd actually only recently watched Affairs of Susan and Tom, Dick and Harry by that method (they're strikingly similar movies, by the way). And I only just realized, looking at the 1941 list, that Tom, Dick and Harry and Tall, Dark and Handsome are alliteratively identical -- I wonder if there was any connection between the usage of the two phrases?

Can anyone point to The Sheepman, coming up all too soon? That's remained an elusive one for me.
Kellens101
Temp

Post by Kellens101 »

Ok, sounds good. Thanks for clearing that up.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Kellens101 wrote:Oh ok. Well it's still great :)
Would I be posting Story, Screenplay and Story and Screenplay all separately to avoid major confusion? It's kind of obvious but I just wanted to clarify.
I know it's confusing, but to keep it from becoming too much so, for 1957-1949 let's do Motion Picture Story one week and both Screenplay (which was the same as Adapted Screenplay) and Story and Screenplay (which they called Original Screenplay for a while) the following week. Beginning with 1948 Motion Picture Story one week and Screenplay the next. Prior to 1949, all screenplays were considered Adapted. They were either adapted from the Motion Picture Story which was the treatment or story outline from which a screenplay could be adapted or from a previously published source such as a book, play or short story.
Kellens101
Temp

Post by Kellens101 »

Oh ok. Well it's still great :)
Would I be posting Story, Screenplay and Story and Screenplay all separately to avoid major confusion? It's kind of obvious but I just wanted to clarify.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Kellens101 wrote:This will be so much easier than the previous screenplays. I love this idea.
It won't be that much easier for a while as we will still have two categories of screenplays through 1949. Beginning with 1948 we will have just Motion Picture Story and one Screenplay category which we can do on alternate weeks.
Kellens101
Temp

Post by Kellens101 »

This will be so much easier than the previous screenplays. I love this idea.
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Mister Tee wrote:It might be helpful, if people find convenient ways to track down obscurer titles, that they share their sources. Not that everyone has access to every service, but I know I see a number of films in years just upcoming that I haven't been able to track down, and suggestions would be welcome.
You've no doubt seen many of these over the years, but here are some films not readily available (by which I mean Netflix/iTunes) that I found pretty quickly on YouTube:

The Goddess (1958)
It Happens Every Spring (1949)
Jolson Sings Again (1949)
The Quiet One (1949)
The Dark Mirror (1946)
The Affairs of Susan (1945)
The House on 92nd Street (1945)
The Sullivans (1944) (on YouTube as The Fighting Sullivans)
Wing and a Prayer (1944)
Holy Matrimony (1943)
The North Star (1943)
One of Our Air Craft is Missing (1942)
Tall, Dark, and Handsome (1941)
Tom, Dick, and Harry (1941)
Bachelor Mother (1939)
The Gay Deception (1935)
Laughter (1930/31)
Holiday (1930/31)
Our Dancing Daughters (1928/29)
A Woman of Affairs (1928/29)
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

Big Magilla wrote:In two weeks we will be down to 1957 in our writing awards discussions. As we previously discussed we will be tackling this category separately from the screenplay awards. Inasmuch as the story comes before the screenplay I suggest we do the story awards one week and the screenplay awards the next week. Anyone disagree?
I agree.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

Anything that slows the process down is more than fine with me. 10 films a week has been challenging enough; 15 would be insane.

It might be helpful, if people find convenient ways to track down obscurer titles, that they share their sources. Not that everyone has access to every service, but I know I see a number of films in years just upcoming that I haven't been able to track down, and suggestions would be welcome.

Return to “The Damien Bona Memorial Oscar History Thread”