R.I.P. Betsy Palmer

Whether they are behind the camera or in front of it, this is the place to discuss all filmmakers regardless of their role in the filmmaking process.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Re: R.I.P. Betsy Palmer

Post by Big Magilla »

Great story, Ace. I never met her, but have met several other TV panelists. Kitty Carlyle, Peggy Cass, the recently deceased Jayne Meadows were all classy ladies who appreciated their fans, too.
Aceisgreat
Temp

Post by Aceisgreat »

Okay, I'll be the one to geek out. Met her at a convention years ago with several friends. She spoke at length with us about that movie, signed our DVDs, posed for photographs, and embraced us all individually. Furthermore, when I told her that one of our friends couldn't make it because he was ill, she had me call him, hand her the phone, and she chitchatted with him for at least ten minutes. None of us could shut up for days about how awesome she was.
flipp525 wrote:She may have been "slumming" it for $1,000 per week acting in New Jersey for that role, but it was Academy Award-worthy work, in my opinion.
And here I thought I was the only one...
"I can't stand a naked light bulb any more than I can a rude remark or a vulgar action." -- Blanche DuBois
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

It's not the emphasis I object to, it's the way it's written. The CNN obituary which refers to her as the murderer from Friday the 13th in its headline but then refers to her in its opening paragraph as the actress who became famous as a TV personality before becoming that woman which puts things in their proper perspective.

The Variety piece reads like something I would expect to see in People or US, not the Show Business bible
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

Given that 90% of Alec Guinness obits characterized him as The Guy from Star Wars and nothing else, Betsy Palmer doesn't have much complaint. Her movie career was minor to put it extravagantly. I watched The Tin Star recently (advance prep for 1957's screenplay thread), and she doesn't make much impression; her role in Mr. Roberts (by far her most famous film) is tiny; and The Long Gray Line is a dreariness I saw 50 years ago and have no intention of putting myself through again.

Be honest: the main reason people in our age bracket remember her is because she was a pretty and utterly charming panelist on I've Got a Secret -- borderline ditzy, but sweet and lovable. But that ended 50 years ago. I see from her IMDB profile that she's continued to do inconsequential TV, plus some Broadway replacement work, but Friday the 13th is by far her most visible credit post-the Johnson administration. It's hardly cheating her to highlight that.
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Big Magilla wrote:This is ridiculous. Betsy Palmer was a famous TV personality long before Friday the 13th which brought her to the attention of a new generation. She had one of the warmest personalities of any performer in film history. Her role in The Long Gray Line was tailor made for her. Friday the 13th was pretty much slumming.
Calm down, Magilla. You're going to faint.

Yes, we all know that she had a career in TV, screen and stage before she somewhat reluctantly took on the role of Mrs. Voorhees that would enshrine her into camp horror history. She may have been "slumming" it for $1,000 per week acting in New Jersey for that role, but it was Academy Award-worthy work, in my opinion.

Eric, where are you?
Last edited by flipp525 on Mon Jun 01, 2015 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

This is ridiculous. Betsy Palmer was a famous TV personality long before Friday the 13th which brought her to the attention of a new generation. She had one of the warmest personalities of any performer in film history. Her role in The Long Gray Line was tailor made for her. Friday the 13th was pretty much slumming.
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

R.I.P. Betsy Palmer

Post by Reza »

MAY 31, 2015 | 06:25PM PT
Variety Staff
Betsy Palmer, who is best known for playing Jason Voorhees’ mother in “Friday the 13th” and appeared in dozens of other films, plays and TV shows, died Friday in Connecticut of natural causes. She was 88.

The character actress had a six decade career, but her most indelible role was as Mrs. Voorhees, the murderous camp cook whose deformed son Jason drowned in the waters of Crystal Lake. Palmer carved her way into horror film history in the 1980 classic, and appeared in flashbacks throughout the next few entries in the slasher series.

Born Pamela Betsy Hrunek in East Chicago, Ind., she started out in classic TV shows of the 1950s such as “Playhouse 90″ and “Studio One.” She went on to appear in numerous TV shows including “As the World Turns,” “The Love Boat,” “Knot’s Landing,” “Murder, She Wrote,” “Newhart,” “Columbo” and “CHiPs.”

On the bigscreen, she had character roles in Joan Crawford starrer “Queen Bee,” “The Tin Star” with Henry Fonda and Anthony Perkins, “The Long Gray Line” and “Mr. Roberts,” also with Fonda.

She often appeared on gameshows such as “I’ve Got a Secret” and “To Tell the Truth.” While she originally said she took the Mrs. Voorhees role just to pay for a car, she came to embrace her fame and was seen in numerous documentaries about “Friday the 13th” and appeared at horror conventions.

On Broadway, she appeared in plays including “Cactus Flower” and “Same Time, Next Year.”

She is survived by her daughter, Melissa Merendino.

Return to “The People”