R.I.P. Anne Meara

Whether they are behind the camera or in front of it, this is the place to discuss all filmmakers regardless of their role in the filmmaking process.
flipp525
Laureate

Re: R.I.P. Anne Meara

Post by flipp525 »

I loved Meara's humane, beautiful work in Fame. She will be missed.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Re: R.I.P. Anne Meara

Post by Big Magilla »

Blue Wine was not obscure back in the day. It was the best selling German wine from the '50s through the '80s. I loved those commercials.

I always wished Meara would have had a stronger presence in films. She occasionally stood out in a film like Lovers and Other Strangers and Fame (which she later did on TV) where her comic timing made her presence unforgettable. She was less memorable in dramatic roles. I had to search IMDb. to remember she was in The Boys from Brazil, which I actually re-watched recently, and Awakenings. She should have had the kind of career Eve Arden had.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

R.I.P. Anne Meara

Post by Mister Tee »

I guess she's mostly Ben's mother to some of you. But I remember her fondly for her years as comedy duo with Jerry -- notably a long-running series of commercials they did for an obscure wine called Blue Nun.

She was also a near-neighbor -- I had a very pleasant conversation with her back in the 90s at our local video store. And she was a very kind human being. Mason Reese (another name old-timers might remember), a former child star, suffered a debilitating physical decline, and she came to his home frequently to read to him.

Anne Meara, one half of 'Stiller & Meara' and mother of Ben Stiller, dies
By Emanuella Grinberg, CNN

(CNN)Comedy great Anne Meara, one half of the comedy team "Stiller & Meara," died at 85 on Saturday, her family said.

Meara and her husband, Jerry Stiller, performed as the comedy team "Stiller & Meara" on "The Ed Sullivan Show" and other programs in the 1960s. They were married for 61 years and worked together almost as long, a family statement said.

In addition to her husband, she is survived by her children, comedian Ben Stiller and daughter Amy, and grandchildren.

"Anne's memory lives on in the hearts of daughter Amy, son Ben, her grandchildren, her extended family and friends, and the millions she entertained as an actress, writer and comedienne," the family statement said.

Return to “The People”