R.I.P. Sophiya Haque

Whether they are behind the camera or in front of it, this is the place to discuss all filmmakers regardless of their role in the filmmaking process.
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

R.I.P. Sophiya Haque

Post by Reza »

sky.com
Ex-Corrie Actress Sophiya Haque Dies From Cancer

Friends and colleagues of the actress have been paying tribute to the 41-year-old's "star presence and charisma".

6:03am UK, Friday 18 January 2013
Sophiya Haque

Haque had also appeared in Bollywood movies and presented for MTV Asia

The 41-year-old played Rovers Return barmaid Poppy Morales in the soap from December 2008 to June 2009.

Up until Christmas she had been appearing in the West End production of Privates on Parade.

Haque's partner, David White, confirmed she had passed away peacefully in her sleep on Wednesday evening.

The managing director of the agency which represented Haque called the actress "one of the most inspirational people I ever met".
Sophiya Haque
Haque's performance in the West End was "glorious" said Michael Grandage

Stuart Piper, of Cole Kitchenn, said: "She was the kind of person you always want to spend time with.

"Full of light, warmth, compassion, care and with an infectiously wicked sense of humour, and I loved every minute of working with her."

He added: "On stage, it was like you were watching her in close-up even if you were sat at the back of the stalls, such was her star presence and charisma."

Michael Grandage, who had been working with Haque in Privates on Parade, also paid tribute to the Portsmouth-born actress.

The award-winning theatre director said he was "devastated" by her death and described her performance in the production as "glorious".

"The company would like to dedicate the remaining performances to her memory," added Grandage.

Haque also worked alongside some of the biggest Bollywood names following a move to India in 1997, and previously worked as a presenter on MTV Asia.

Her return to the UK in 2002 saw her appear in Andrew Lloyd Webber's Bombay Dreams and a musical version of The Far Pavilions.

She also had a part in 2008 film Wanted, starring Angeline Jolie, James McAvoy and Morgan Freeman.

Return to “The People”