Tom Cruise is a real jerk

Whether they are behind the camera or in front of it, this is the place to discuss all filmmakers regardless of their role in the filmmaking process.
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

Steph2 wrote:Tom O'Neil gets sadder and sadder by the day. Very few people are that much lacking in self awareness. It almost feels wrong to make fun of him because he's clearly a mental deficient, you know?

Am I the only one who thinks he should be able to afford nicer sheets?

OMG, I watched that video. It is such a Cry For Help!

It's one thing for him to make a video pontificating in true Oscarologist fashion about precursor awards and the Oscars, but to do it lying on a half-made bed . . . . And what was that piece of plastic stuck on the wall behind him?

Big Magilla Jan. 19 2008 wrote:How much money do you think an Oscarologist makes?

I don't know if this is true, but someone told me that he heard that Tom O'Neil is a trust fund baby.

Edited By Damien on 1201984123
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
cam
Assistant

Post by cam »

Tom explains how wonderful he and Scientology are.

http://gawker.com/5002269....uppress
Akash
Professor

Post by Akash »

Magilla and Steph, I'm broke and even I have nicer sheets.

(Greg -- whatever you were gonna say -- shut up in advance :p )

Edited By Akash on 1200813493
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Steph2 wrote:Tom O'Neil gets sadder and sadder by the day. Very few people are that much lacking in self awareness. It almost feels wrong to make fun of him because he's clearly a mental deficient, you know?

How much money do you think an Oscarologist makes?
Steph2
Assistant

Post by Steph2 »

Tom O'Neil gets sadder and sadder by the day. Very few people are that much lacking in self awareness. It almost feels wrong to make fun of him because he's clearly a mental deficient, you know?

cam
Assistant

Post by cam »

Please.... Not a religious discussion on THIS thread. :p
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

Penelope wrote:And me placing all organized religions on the same par as cults is beneath contempt? You're kidding me, right? As Steph hinted at, more people have been killed in the name of religion than have sacrificed their lives in the name of religion. Indeed, organized religion has caused more death, destruction and general unhappiness than any other force in the history of mankind. That, my friend, is beneath contempt.
I hate to start what's going to be a long religious debate but even if the concept of religion ceases to exist, men will still be killing each other over other things like land, money and power.

It's in the nature of men. Even if religion ceases to exist, we'll find another excuse to oppress, destroy and kill each other.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

This is one thread I can't say I'm unhappy to see go off-topic. Is there any more we could possibly say about Tom Cruise and Scientology?

As for O'Neill, this isn't the first time he's done one of these silly faux interviews from his bed. I think the last one was about the Tonys. If anything he's become more self-assured and realtively restrained, not really going off the deep end until it came time to talk about his beloved Sweeney Todd. I don't think he was confusing Nicole Kidman with Renee Zellweger. I think he was referencing Zeta-Jones and Kidman as the stars of Chicago and Moulin Rouge! since he didn't actually mention the title or titles of the films he was referring to. Moulin Rouge! is probably his favorite film of all time.
Akash
Professor

Post by Akash »

You know which Tom is even crazier than T Crazy himself? TOM O' FUCKING NEIL!

I don't know why, but I moseyed on over to gold derby or whatever it's called (morbid curiosity) and sure enough, there's yet another video of Tom. Only this time it's not a video of Tom fawning over Dave Karger (honey please, Karger is the kind of boring gay gay-man who bought into the Brokeback hype, and you're the kind of crazy gay gay-man who bought into the Crash hype -- it will never work) but anyway, instead of that, we get (shudder) Tom in bed, under the covers, talking about the Best Picture race (he clearly has notes on the floor, notice how his eyes keep glancing down) and it's easily the most frighteningly embarrassing and unintentionally hilarious thing I've ever seen...well, ever since Richard Gere in Chicago.

Seriously, if you haven't seen it, stop whatever you're doing, go make a batch of popcorn, put on your most comfortably loose clothes (you'll need to, to facilitate all the rolling around, uncontrollable laughing you'll be doing) and just watch the madness. Oh and if you can't get enough humor at his expense, just scroll below (I couldn't, so I did) to his interview with poor Tilda Swinton who probably wishes she was anywhere else. Notable highlights of these two videos include Tom peddling his "all male critics hate chick flicks" theory with a new homophobe slant (Sweeney Todd is too "broadway" for them); Tom mistakenly suggesting that Nicole Kidman was in Chicago; and (my favorite) Tom referring to himself as an "Oscarologist" in front of Tilda Swinton while she chuckles politely, probably to prevent herself from calling him a complete moron. (Having only my computer screen in front of me, I was unencumbered by niceties and I was able to say aloud, "Tom, you're a complete moron.") Notice the unbearable patience Swinton shows him -- the way one interacts, let's say, with someone who is mentally handicapped.

Seriously, I'm ready to give the Tom Cruise "T Crazy" Award to Tom O'Neil. How the hell did he ever make it this far??

Edited By Akash on 1200750991
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

Here's something Hal Holbrook as Mark Twain recited when I saw his performance a few weeks ago:
Like many Christians of great character and intellect, he has made the study of his Scriptures and the writing of books of commentaries upon them the loving labor of his life. Like them, he has believed that his was not an idle and foolish waste of his life, but a most worthy and honorable employment of it. Yet, there are many people who will see in those others, men worthy of homage and deep reverence, but in him merely a crank. But I shall not. He has my reverence. And I don't offer it as a common thing and poor, but as an unusual thing and of value. The ordinary reverence, the reverence defined and explained by the dictionary costs nothing. Reverence for one's own sacred things--parents, religion, flag, laws, and respect for one's own beliefs--these are feelings which we cannot even help. They come natural to us; they are involuntary, like breathing. There is no personal merit in breathing. But the reverence which is difficult, and which has personal merit in it, is the respect which you pay, without compulsion, to the political or religious attitude of a man whose beliefs are not yours. You can't revere his gods or his politics, and no one expects you to do that, but you could respect his belief in them if you tried hard enough; and you could respect him, too, if you tried hard enough. But it is very, very difficult; it is next to impossible, and so we hardly ever try.
Greg
Tenured

Post by Greg »

Here's an obscure side note. Svante Arrhenius, one of the earliest winners of the Nobel Prize in chemistry, advocated the theory of panspermia, which states that life on Earth originated from extraterrestrial seeds.
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

To me, the idea that we're descended from aliens from outer space is more rational than that we were created by some omniscient, unknowable purple unicorn in the sky.

And me placing all organized religions on the same par as cults is beneath contempt? You're kidding me, right? As Steph hinted at, more people have been killed in the name of religion than have sacrificed their lives in the name of religion. Indeed, organized religion has caused more death, destruction and general unhappiness than any other force in the history of mankind. That, my friend, is beneath contempt.
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

cam wrote:
OscarGuy wrote:I'm sure there are Scientologists who would want to die for their religion. One of their beliefs is that when they die, they move on in the celestial order and their entire goal is to get to the pinnacle of the celestial order. So, some might want to die to move on to th next level.

That's what Muslim fanatics believe, isn't it?
Maybe Tom wants to experience the seventy( or whatever) virgins.
Funny, though, he doesn't seem to be in much a hurry to get there. Anyway, ther's a difference between being willing to die for your religion and feeling secure that once you do die you'll have a place waiting to go to.

But I agree, we don't need another debate on religion.
cam
Assistant

Post by cam »

OscarGuy wrote:I'm sure there are Scientologists who would want to die for their religion. One of their beliefs is that when they die, they move on in the celestial order and their entire goal is to get to the pinnacle of the celestial order. So, some might want to die to move on to th next level.

That's what Muslim fanatics believe, isn't it?
Maybe Tom wants to experience the seventy( or whatever) virgins.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

I'm sure there are Scientologists who would want to die for their religion. One of their beliefs is that when they die, they move on in the celestial order and their entire goal is to get to the pinnacle of the celestial order. So, some might want to die to move on to th next level.

Of course, I won't go into my personal beliefs about organized religion, because you know what. We had a discussion thread some time ago about religion. It eventually died out like everything else in the evolutionary track, but we did have those discussions some years ago.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin

Return to “The People”