Tom Cruise is a real jerk

Whether they are behind the camera or in front of it, this is the place to discuss all filmmakers regardless of their role in the filmmaking process.
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

From Ted Casablanca's website

Chris Klein speaks:

Zach Braff could learn a thing (or 10) from Chris Klein about dealing with the press.

I ran into Katie Holmes' former flame Friday night at Runway for Life at the Beverly Hilton. Chris, his new, fairly presentable g-friend, Ginnifer Goodwin, and other celebs like Anna Kournikova and Cindy Crawford hit the runway to raise money for St. Jude Children's Research Hospital.

One word for Mr. Klein during my Suri inquisition: Unflappable. After some obligatory career chitchat, I got to the million-dollar question on every gossip's minds and mouths. "Have you seen Vanity Fair?" I asked. "I have indeed, yes," Chris replied, politely yet succinctly.

"Any thoughts?" I pressed, as inquiring minds (like yours and mine, natch ) so want to know C.K.'s feelings regarding the new insta-nuclear fam that is Tom&Kate&Suri.

"I think they look so lovely and so happy, and I'm really, really happy for them," he said semisincerely, and rather repetitively, without batting an eyelash of irony regarding his ex, the former Katie Holmes. Jeez. Now, I was über-impressed Mr. K. hadn't bolted off the carpet or given me the hand yet, so I figured why not go there? You know: There.

"What do you think about the gossip that Suri looks like you?" I said, quasi-innocently, but really not. "Do people ever ask you about that?" I was fully prepared for the American Pie performer to throw an apple job in my face, or at least to walk away.

But Chris stayed and answered!

"I've never had anyone ask me that before," he replied, ever so thoughtfully. Could he actually have been telling the truth? Hmmm. "I haven't even heard people talking like that." (Obviously, the dude doesn't read the rags.) "It's definitely them, and they look so beautiful," he surmised.

"Are you and Katie still in contact?" I asked, for good horse-corpse-beating measure.

"We've been so busy that it's hard to keep in touch," he explained. Ding-ding-ding! That would be the sound of my way nosy questions coming to a close. Big snaps for Chris...He was a great sport the entire time. The almost beefy boy (with a nice bum) came off sincere and not the least bit bitter. So, either TomKat ain't even a blip on his radar, or he's a much better actor than I thought.
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Aw...

BURBANK, Calif. - Brooke Shields says Tom Cruise has apologized for publicly criticizing her use of antidepressants after the birth of her first daughter.

The two had a public beef last year after the "Mission: Impossible III" star, echoing the position of Scientology, said in an appearance on NBC's "Today" show that depression can be treated with exercise and vitamins rather than drugs.

The 41-year-old actress says Cruise apologized in person Thursday.

"He came over to my house, and he gave me a heartfelt apology," Shields said Friday during an appearance on "The Tonight Show with Jay Leno." "And he apologized for bringing me into the whole thing and for everything that happened.

"And through it all, I was so impressed with how heartfelt it was. And I didn't feel at any time that I had to defend myself, nor did I feel that he was trying to convince me of anything other than the fact that he was deeply sorry. And I accepted it."

Cruise's spokesman confirmed the celebrities made up.

"It is true that his friendship with Ms. Shields has been mended," spokesman Arnold Robinson said in a statement. "He has not changed his position about antidepressants, which as evidenced by the black label warnings issued by the FDA on these types of drugs, are unhealthy."

Shields, who wrote "Down Came the Rain: My Journey Through Postpartum Depression," has dismissed the actor's remarks as a "ridiculous rant" and "a disservice to mothers everywhere."
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

I agree. This statement helps absolutely no one, and if anything calls Sumner Restone's competence into question.

Go ahead and let Tom Cruise go. He certainly isn't the hitmaker he used to be and he was the only one who made money off of M:I-3, but citing his off-screen behavior as reason for firing is a misguided mea culpa to audiences who are (understandably) sick of him. Just fire him with the normal gracious Hollywood bullshit and be done with it. I hate to say it but it appears that they're bullying poor Tom Cruise...which he can get mileage out of.
"How's the despair?"
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

Sumner Redstone is a real jerk, too. An unprofessional one, at that.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Viacom Inc.'s Paramount Pictures unit is ending its 14-year relationship with Tom Cruise's film production company because of the actor's offscreen behavior, the company's chairman said in an interview with the Wall Street Journal.

Sumner Redstone, Viacom chairman, said the behavior of the star of the "Mission: Impossible" series and "Top Gun" was unacceptable to the company, according to the Wall Street Journal story e-mailed to reporters.

Cruise, one of Hollywood's biggest stars, has been known more recently for his antics on U.S. television talk shows, including jumping up and down on Oprah Winfrey's couch to declare his love for Katie Holmes and criticizing the use of antidepressant drugs.

"As much as we like him personally, we thought it was wrong to renew his deal," Redstone was quoted as saying in the Wall Street Journal. "His recent conduct has not been acceptable to Paramount."

Cruise's representatives and officials from Viacom and Paramount did not have any immediate comment on the report.
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

Cruise sunk as studios cut pay

By John Harlow August 07, 2006 12:00am, The Sunday Times, London

SUPERSTAR Tom Cruise has joined the ranks of the unemployed.

The Hollywood studio that bankrolls his films is not backing any more Cruise movies until he agrees to a significant pay cut.
The 44-year-old actor is eager to get back to work to put behind him disappointments such as Mission: Impossible III, but last week his 13-year deal with the Paramount studio was allowed to lapse. Executives say Cruise faces a "financial adjustment and reality check" before he can continue his illustrious career.

Cruise is not the only star to suffer as Hollywood bosses cut jobs and get tough with expensive talent. Jim Carrey, Mike Myers and Reese Witherspoon are all "on holiday" with no immediate films in prospect, while Brad Pitt recently took a pay cut to play Jesse James.

Last week, soon after the arrest of Mel Gibson for drink-driving, the studio crackdown reached younger actors such as Lindsay Lohan. The 20-year-old was publicly censured by her employers for refusing to put her work above her social life. Her mother said it was an "ungallant" attack on her daughter, who was just a "good girl enjoying herself".

Studio executives are increasingly frustrated by hit films that leave them impoverished because the stars, as well as directors such as Steven Spielberg, grab most of the profits.

Cruise has become a symbol of the battle for power between studios and their stars, a struggle that dates back to 1919 when Charlie Chaplin set up his own studio, United Artists, to keep most of the profits from his silent comedies for himself.

Studios are feeling more bullish because many northern summer hits, from Cars to Superman Returns, have been driven by strong scripts and computer effects rather than celebrities.

Yet, by all standards, Cruise is a special case. For 20 years, the diminutive star has earned the studios billions of dollars in films such as Top Gun and The Firm. Last year, according to Forbes magazine, he earned $87 million from War of the Worlds, still a Hollywood record.

Since 1992 Paramount has paid Cruise-Wagner Productions, Cruise's private film development company, up to $17.5 million a year to base its office on the Paramount lot in Los Angeles. It also paid for 10 staff. In return, Paramount gets the first bite at any Cruise film. Paramount has now refused to renew the deal on its current terms, effectively suspending its work on half a dozen future Cruise films.

Cruise, whose fortune is conservatively estimated at $624 million, is meanwhile paying staff out of his own pocket and remains confident that it will soon be "business as usual" at Cruise-Wagner Productions.

But the abrupt demise of the current deal remains an embarrassing psychological blow after a turbulent year for "the Cruiser". Thomas Cruise Mapother IV has been battling to hold on to public affections since he decided to shed Pat Kingsley, his long-term publicity adviser who for years shielded him from controversy.

Kingsley would never have allowed him to appear on Oprah Winfrey's show and jump on the couch while declaring his love for young actor Katie Holmes.

That did not affect his popularity as much as criticising actor Brooke Shields for using prescription drugs for postnatal depression: as a Scientologist, he disapproves of all psychological drugs.

"At that moment he moved from the realm of eccentricity to something scary and cruel," said Martin Kaplan of the Norman Lear Centre, which studies how films affect society. "It was easier to forgive jokes about eating placenta than what is perceived to be an attack on a vulnerable woman's real problem."

Hollywood studios are influenced by Q Scores, an annual poll of a celebrity's likeability. In the last poll, the percentage of Americans who liked Cruise fell from 30 two years ago to 19, while people who disliked him jumped from 14 to 31. The next Q Score, due to be released confidentially to the studios next month, is expected to be even worse.

Henry Schaffer, of Marketing Evaluations, which carries out the Q Score polls, said Cruise had suffered in particular with young women, especially compared with more low-profile stars such as Tom Hanks. "The two Toms used to be neck and neck at the top of the Hollywood tree, but the more flamboyant Tom is in danger of crash and burn," he said.

Schaffer said Gibson, who is facing drink-driving charges and more intangible damage related to his anti-Jewish outburst when he was arrested in Malibu on July 28, had recently been recovering in public esteem from the extremely divisive release of his last film, The Passion of the Christ.

"This could be a big blow," said Schaffer. He added that before Gibson's forthcoming court appearance he should "do a Hugh Grant": go on US television and apologise directly and with a light touch.

Cruise is a tougher problem, say Hollywood spin doctors. One former public relations adviser to the actor said Cruise had two options: defensive or aggressive.

First, he should cultivate a quieter lifestyle. "He should come across as humble, not judgmental, even if it is the best acting he has ever done - because inside he is still a cocky boy, but the times have changed," said the former aide.

Then, when the time is right, he should make a positive splash with his baby daughter Suri and her mother, Holmes, who is 27.

While Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt demanded a $5.5 million charity donation from People magazine for the first shots of their offspring, Shiloh Nouvel Jolie-Pitt, Suri has been invisible except to a close circle that includes Penelope Cruz, Cruise's ex-girlfriend. Although Madame Tussaud's is already showing a waxen effigy of a bundled Suri in New York, the public is impatient to see the real baby, born in April.

US tabloid magazines are offering up to $7.5 million for the first snap. Insiders suggest that any baby pictures might be wrapped up into a wedding celebration for Cruise and his girlfriend.

This is not expected to happen until Cruise has sorted out his employment prospects. Although he could produce films independently or offer himself as an actor for hire, pride is at stake and he is unlikely to get as good a deal as he had with Paramount.

It may depend on what films he wants to make. One studio executive joked: "He can get all his perks back when he agrees to make Top Gun 2, in a jet, wearing an oxygen mask. Tom Cruise will have to finally shut up when he is saving the world."
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

Two new stories on The World's Creepiest Family:

From TMZ: In The Zone:

EXCLUSIVE: Suri Cruise Birth Certificate

TMZ has obtained a copy of the official birth certificate of the elusive Suri Cruise, daughter of Tom Cruise and Katie Holmes.

The document, filed with the Los Angeles County Register-Recorder/County Clerk, was filed May 8, 2006. (Click on document to download) There are several interesting items of note:

First, St. John's Hospital has a policy of filing birth certificates within 10 days of birth. In this case, Suri was born on April 18 but the certificate was not filed until May 8, 20 days later. An official from the hospital told TMZ that the delay occurred because they needed a signature from the parents or a representative of the parents certifying birth, and that person did not come in until May 4. The person who signed is labeled "friend." The signature is not legible.

Also, the "Attendant or Certifier" who signed the certificate -- Anne Heffernan, RNC -- was not in the delivery room and did not see the baby. But a hospital rep tells TMZ that Heffernan is authorized to sign when the doctor is not available. A hospital rep said "normally the doctor signs" but it isn't a requirement.

Finally, the hospital rep said that the circumstances that triggered the eventual signing of the birth certificate were that Suri needed a passport and a birth certificate is a prerequisite to obtaining one.

And some comments folks posted about the story:

"This is creepy. How very "Satan's School For Girls." Do you think he swapped his dead baby out with another one and had to wait several days for this to take place.? Maybe all that sonogramming fried the fetus."

"THAT MAN IS SENSE LESS....I DONT PUT ANYTHING PAST HIM...MAYBE SURI DOESNT EXIST..I GUESS ONLY TIME WILL TELL...."

" have yet to even start believing this child exists.. no pictures.. no a a very secretive birth certificate and she needed a passport??? so they took her publc and NO ONE got a picture of this kid not even security pictures??? a million dollar prize for a pic and you're telling me a customs officer wouldn't snap a camera phone pic.. yeah right..."

"Can somebody say CUCKOO, CUCKOO!!"

"WHO GIVES A CRAP!!!!!!!! WHAT ABOUT OUR SOLDIERS WHO ARE GETTING KILLED DAILY!!!!!!!!!"

==================================

And from ABC News:

Where's Suri? Photos Still Under Wraps
More Than Two Months After Birth -- Still No Baby Picture
By BUCK WOLF

No one has seen Suri," an unnamed Hollywood insider said to Us Magazine, adding that such friends as Victoria Beckham, fellow Scientologists John Travolta and Kelly Preston , as well as Will Smith and "Collateral" co-star Jada Pinkett Smith , had yet to see the 2½-month-old infant.

"[The Smiths] keep calling Tom to see her," the source said.

Suri was born on April 18 at the Saint John's Health Center in Santa Monica, Calif., the same day Brooke Shields gave birth to daughter Grier.

Shields, who famously clashed with Cruise over the use of medicine to treat postpartum depression, has since been seen toting her child around Hollywood. Pictures of the baby have been released.

In subsequent weeks, celebrity baby fever hit an even bigger frenzy, when Angelina Jolie gave birth to daughter Shiloh in Namibia, Gwen Stefani gave birth to son Kingston James, and Rachel Weisz welcomed son Henry Chance. Photos of the infants have been captured and published.

Feelers for a Baby Photo Auction

Jolie and Brad Pitt have since sold baby pictures, reportedly raising $4 million for charity.

Cruise reportedly has sent out feelers about the possible auction of a baby photo, Us Weekly reports. Photo agency WireImage approached multiple sources about bidding for rights to publish the image.

On May 11, before bidding was to begin, the agency sent out an e-mail declaring, "The baby shoot is on hold for now." Us Weekly says it received the message because it was one of the potential bidders for the picture.

Days after Suri's birth, Cruise hit the road to promote "M:I:3" and spoke like a proud new father, describing the new child and the moments he'd shared with Holmes.

Cruise and Holmes have spent most of their time at his Beverly Hills mansion, and vacationed at his Telluride, Colo., vacation house in June. While the couple has been pictured in public together, the baby has yet to be seen.

Such a quest for privacy certainly is in contrast to Cruise's highly public courtship of Holmes, highlighted by his famous couch-jumping moment with Oprah Winfrey, and the Eiffel Tower news conference to announce their engagement.

"It's strange that Tom would go from the one extreme of sharing every detail of his life to the other extreme of withdrawing from the public eye," says celebrity style maven Rachel Weingarten, the author of "Hello Gorgeous!"

"On one hand, Tom was such an advocate of silent birth," Weingarten says. "Maybe he and Katie are just focused on keeping things as silent and serene as they can for the kid. Then again, maybe Tom won't show us the kid until he has another movie or DVD to promote."

Cruise was not always so eager to share his private life, even after he became a big star. He and ex-wife Nicole Kidman adopted their daughter, Isabella, in 1993 and son Connor in 1995, but it wasn't until 1996, after Connor's second birthday, that the couple released a family photo to the media.

"We might yet see little Suri on the fall season debut of Oprah, jumping up and down on her own little couch," says Weingarten.
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
Nik
Temp

Post by Nik »

I understand why some actors would be reluctant to "come out" given how Hollywood has recently displayed its disdain for boys kissing (Crash over Brokeback). And the bigger your star is, the greater the impact since you have more to lose with the South and the Midwest going apeshit over the fact that GASP a major star might not want to eat pussy! Oh my god, how can I EVER look at his movies again? I mean, it's PUSSY!

That said, I think the larger charade of a wife and now bringing some muling, puking little rat into the world just to "cover" your image (not to mention his behavior, his homophobia - suing tabloids and what not) is what makes him revolting to me. He could have just as easily taken the Jodie Foster route and not talked about it at all. Noble? No. But certainly less embarrassing. It's not like Middle America would think anything of it. We are after all talking about people who don't believe in Evolution or Global Warming (next week, they're taking down gravity).

At this rate, his tombstone will probably read: Loved Pussy. Lots of it.
99-1100896887

Post by 99-1100896887 »

I mean,what would happen IF he came out? Takes a lot of work to deny rumours. If he came out, he could live comfortably, away from the limelight for a change, or pooh-pooh it as yesterday's news, and the media would grow less interested in his love life or his craziness. They no long seem to be interested in Kevin Spacey's love life or any of the others rumoured to be gay. What's the difference here?
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

Bill Maher tonight: "Tom Cruise's movie finally came out. At least the movie came out."
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

Bill Maher said (I'm paraphrasing):

"Tom Cruise was in the room when Katie delivered the baby and he said it was the most beautiful thing he had ever seen. Which is what many of us also said when we saw a vagina for the first time."
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Damien wrote:
Sonic Youth wrote:But he later changed his mind, saying Holmes persuaded him to continue his European promotional tour.

Presumably she wanted to spend some time with the real father of the baby, whoever that might be.
I doubt she knows who the father is. It's probably some anomymous Scinetology sperm donor with features as close to Cruise as possible to keep the gullible public from catching on.
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

Sonic Youth wrote:But he later changed his mind, saying Holmes persuaded him to continue his European promotional tour.
Presumably she wanted to spend some time with the real father of the baby, whoever that might be.
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

Cruise puts baby on hold to promote movie
BBC News

Tom Cruise will meet fans at the London premiere of Mission Impossible 3 on Tuesday after a last-minute decision not to return to his new child.

The star was in Rome on Monday for the world premiere, telling reporters he would fly straight back to be with fiancee Katie Holmes and daughter Suri.

But he later changed his mind, saying Holmes persuaded him to continue his European promotional tour.

"We discussed it. She said 'You know, things change,'" he said.

The London screening at the Odeon Leicester Square will be followed by a French premiere in Paris on Wednesday.

"I realise the fans are going to be there in London and Paris and, you know, everything is cool," he said. "So we're going to hit it. We're going to bang it."

The change of heart follows a surprise appearance at the press conference for the film in Rome.

He originally told reporters: "I'm going to be here for a few hours, and then I'm going to get on a plane and go back to Katie and Suri."

"My mission impossible was to be here today. I didn't want to come. My daughter was just born, and I didn't want to leave her and her mother."

He later joined other cast and crew members to greet thousands of fans in the city's Piazza del Popolo.

'Warm welcome'

He told them: "I want to thank you for the warm welcome that you've given to my daughter Suri and my fiancee Katie, and I just love you all."

The actor said he would start planning his wedding to Holmes when he returns to the US.

"That stuff is actually going to happen in the next couple of weeks. We are going to decide where and when and how," Cruise said.

"Really whatever Kate wants, you know."

Suri was born in Los Angeles on 18 April and the couple said the name meant "princess" in Hebrew and "red rose" in Persian.

Her birth was "everything we wanted it to be and more", Cruise said, adding that "it was really very spiritual".

"I look at Kate and my admiration and love and respect for her, although I didn't think it could get any more, it became more. It was very beautiful."

He also revealed the "teamwork" the couple use to look after their new child.

"I changed her first," Cruise said. "I change diapers all the time. I have to tell you I love it.

"We have a whole system worked out. It's the B and B - she does the breast feeding and I do the burping and changing the diapers."

Mission Impossible 3, also starring Oscar winner Philip Seymour Hoffman and Ving Rhames, will be released around the world from 3-5 May.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Well, it does sound like a good name for an alien princess. Padme or Leia would have been too obvious.

Return to “The People”