R.I.P. Walter Bernstein

Whether they are behind the camera or in front of it, this is the place to discuss all filmmakers regardless of their role in the filmmaking process.
dws1982
Emeritus

Re: R.I.P. Walter Bernstein

Post by dws1982 »

A lot of the late 90's and early 00's HBO original films are not available on HBO's streaming services, but Miss Evers' Boys is one that is. (I'm not sure if HBO had exclusive rights to the films for a limited time, or if they just assume there isn't any demand for them.) I've never watched it but I will try to soon.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Re: R.I.P. Walter Bernstein

Post by Mister Tee »

When I saw the thread title on the home page, my first reaction was, wow, he must have been old -- I saw The Front as a still-young man, which is distant memory, and Bernstein was already in the second or third act of his career by then.

The Front isn't great -- it's a glossed-over, wish-fulfillment view of the blacklist -- but it's witty and enjoyable. Bernstein's other credits are hit-and-miss, but with some highlights -- especially Fail Safe and (much later) Miss Evers' Boys, which should be seen for the wonderful Alfre Woodard performance. And he apparently worked into his 90s, which is an inspiration to us all.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

R.I.P. Walter Bernstein

Post by Big Magilla »

Return to “The People”