R.I.P Chadwick Boseman

Whether they are behind the camera or in front of it, this is the place to discuss all filmmakers regardless of their role in the filmmaking process.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Re: R.I.P Chadwick Boseman

Post by Big Magilla »

This is made more shocking by the times we are living in when most sudden deaths are due to violence or pandemic. It's not just young black kids whose first thought was it most be one of those. When I saw the headline, I immediately though "coronavirus", too.

That he was able to continue his career under the circumstances of his health is not extraordinary, but that he was able to do so in such physically demanding roles was. Keeping his condition hidden for four years in this day and age was also extraordinary, as was his ability to keep his private life private. There had been speculation for years about his relationship with his girlfriend, but no one knew they were married until the family put out a statement that his "wife" was with him at the end. He was not only a remarkable actor, but a remarkable human being as well.

I'm not sure he would have been able to maintain such complete privacy toward the end under normal circumstances. He hadn't been seen in public since February, but then neither has anyone else not making actual news.

Like, Tee, I thought of a shocking Hollywood death from decades ago.

At the 1960 Oscars on April 17, 1961, James Stewart broke down when accepting Gary Cooper's honorary Oscar, creating speculation that Coop was seriously ill. Less than a month later, he was dead of prostate cancer six days after his 60th birthday.

Boseman played baseball icon Jackie Robinson, "42". Coop played baseball icon Lou Gehrig in Pride of the Yankees in '42, released when he was 41. Had Boseman lived to Coop's age at the time of his death, he likely would have retained his star power just as long as Coop had.
Franz Ferdinand
Adjunct

Post by Franz Ferdinand »

This is truly disheartening, a similar shock to David Bowie's passing after a secret cancer battle, though of course Boseman was just starting out with some well-regarded performances in decent biopics and of course an iconic turn as Black Panther. He seemed likely to enjoy a successful, possibly Oscar-calibre career. A huge loss.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

On Twitter, there are parents telling stories about how when children are told of Boseman's passing that they initially assume it's due to Coronavirus... or the police.

It's a sad year.

Knowing that Chadwick Boseman portrayed Black Panther almost entirely while he was fighting colon cancer in secret is impossibly moving, and a very high bar.
"How's the despair?"
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

I'm seeing that many parents of young children -- especially, of course, black children -- are having difficulty explaining to their kids that someone who was such a hero to them is gone. It strikes me reminiscent of what it was for many of us 60-odd years ago, when George Reeves died. It sounds silly to me now, but "How could Superman kill himself?" was uttered in anguish by may a child my age.

On a more adult level: I was unaware Boseman was playing Levee in an already-shot film of Ma Rainey's Black Bottom. This was a breakthrough role for Charles S. Dutton onstage, and very much a change-of-pace for the generally-playing-heroic Boseman. It's quite a credit to leave behind.
danfrank
Assistant

Post by danfrank »

Just when I thought 2020 couldn’t get any worse. I had no idea about his diagnosis. He seemed on the verge of a gigantic career. I’m shocked and deeply saddened.
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

He was diagnosed 4 years ago, just as he was breaking out as an actor. So all this time, he's been battling it.

I, too, am shocked and stunned by this. He is a talented actor and his status as a Marvel superhero would've ensured he had his pick of projects and he was just beginning. A tragic loss.
Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

Yeah, this is staggering.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Original link is broken.

Here's a better one:

https://sports.yahoo.com/chadwick-bosem ... uxbndlbing
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

I'm beyond stunned. What a loss
Last edited by Sabin on Fri Aug 28, 2020 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"How's the despair?"
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

This just came up on my phone and I’m speechless. What a magnetic presence who had so much left to give.
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

R.I.P Chadwick Boseman

Post by Mister Tee »

Well, this comes as a complete shock to me. Not since Heath Ledger have I seen an obituary and reacted with such disbelief.

He was an excellent James Brown, and fine as Jackie Robinson (given the movie was pretty lame). And of course he seemed to have the world at his feet after Back Panther.

Just watched him in Da 5 Bloods this week.

Truly sad.

https://apnews.com/5f4352111fdead278da3651b44d311b8
Last edited by Mister Tee on Fri Aug 28, 2020 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “The People”