R.I.P. Trini Lopez

Whether they are behind the camera or in front of it, this is the place to discuss all filmmakers regardless of their role in the filmmaking process.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Re: R.I.P. Trini Lopez

Post by Big Magilla »

Saw it years ago. My response was closer to this 2006 review on IMDb.:

"Odds are you have never seen The Phynx and for good reason. This is the deformed beast of a child that Hollywood wants to keep locked up in the attic. Its the hell-spawn of the youth movement and the old embalmed generation coming together to make ... something.

The basic plot concerns the SSA (Super Secret Agency) attempting to rescue the icons of American culture that have been kidnapped and brought to Albania. Who are the great icons? George Jessel, Rudy Vallee, Edgar Bergan, Huntz Hall, Leo Gorcey, Joe Louis, Col. Sanders, Xavier Cugat and probably a dozen others (all I can say is I hope they were paid a lot). SSA decides that the best way to get them out is top form a rock band (think Monkees and Beatles singing songs by Lieber and Stoller) and have them invited into the country. They then kidnap Two white guys an Indian and a black guy and force them to be spies and a rock group thus allowing for some surreal bits as other stars show up to train the band (Richard Pryor, Dick Clark, James Brown among others)."

The "others" include Joan Blondell, Dorothy Lamour, Patty Andrews, Ruby Keeler, Patsy Kelly, Busby Berkeley, Pat O'Brien, Johnny Weissmuller, Maureen O'Sullivan, Ed Sullivan, Joe Louis, Jay Silverheals, Martha Raye, and Guy Lombardo.
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Re: R.I.P. Trini Lopez

Post by Precious Doll »

A week or so ago by chance I just discovered that The Phynx (1970) which I've long wanted to see was actually released several years ago by Warners Achive. I placed it in my Deep Discount cart and completed my whole order for 20 films. Due to the number of films Deep Discount sent them to me by First Class mail so I received them in days and tonight I finally got to see The Phynx.

Couldn't believe it when Trini Lopez popped up in. Really enjoyed the film too I must say and hope Warners will upgrade this oddity/gem to Blu Ray soon.
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
Big Magilla
Site Admin

R.I.P. Trini Lopez

Post by Big Magilla »

The Mexican-American singer turned actor died of COVID-19 at 83.

https://www.latimes.com/world-nation/st ... natra-dies

Return to “The People”