R.I.P. Olivia de Havilland

Whether they are behind the camera or in front of it, this is the place to discuss all filmmakers regardless of their role in the filmmaking process.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Re: R.I.P. Olivia de Havilland

Post by OscarGuy »

I think the intent was to highlight living legends who were active during Hollywood's Golden Age.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Sonic Youth wrote:
Reza wrote:
Sonic Youth wrote:I think Greg was referring to a specific era that doesn't apply to many of these names being bandied about
Stars who were around before the 1960s.
I guess I intuited something a little less broad than this, even though that is what Greg said. But Olivia de Havilland and Clint Eastwood would seem to belong in entirely different chapters of a "History of Hollywood" textbook.
A lot of these newer names that Reza listed may have been acting prior to 1960 but were not stars until after. I hesitated to include Eastwood, Nicholson and Maggie Smith who were borderline stars at the end of the 1950s, but by then Eastwood was already making a name for himself in TV's Rawhide, Nicholson had starred in Roger Corman's Cry Baby Killer and Smith had starred opposite George Nader in Nowhere to Go.

June Lockhart made her film debut as one the Cratchit children in the 1938 version of A Christmas Carol in support of Reginald Owen as Scrooge and her parents, Gene and Kathleen Lockhart, who were second and third billed as Bob Cratchit and his wife. She was twice nominated for Emmys in the 1950s and received her most recent credit last year. I can't think of anyone whose career goes back further who is still active.
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

Reza I think you left out Monica Vitti & Stella Stevens who like Joanne Woodward are suffering from dementia.

Another person (not unwell) is Tina Louise.
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

Reza wrote:
Sonic Youth wrote:I think Greg was referring to a specific era that doesn't apply to many of these names being bandied about
I guess I intuited something a little less broad than this, even though that is what Greg said. But Olivia de Havilland and Clint Eastwood would seem to belong in entirely different chapters of a "History of Hollywood" textbook.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

To the lists below you can add the names of Michael Caine, Sean Connery, Christopher Plummer, William Shatner, Robert Wagner, Mel Brooks, Woody Allen, Betty White, Marsha Hunt, Janis Paige, Glynis Johns, Jane Withers, Peggy Dow, Nancy Olson, Terry Moore, Debra Pagett, Robert Blake, Angie Dickinson, Claude Jarman Jr., Margaret O'Brien, Barbara Eden, Jean-Pierre Léaud, Jean-Paul Belmondo, Dick Van Dyke, Rosemary Harris, Joss Ackland, Hardy Kruger, Gena Rowlands, Mario Adorf, Michael Lonsdale, Julie Newmar, David McCallum, George Hamilton, Claudia Cardinale, Jane Fonda, Robert Redford, Warren Beatty, Ursula Andress, Richard Chamberlain, Julie Andrews, Judi Dench and Dolores Hart.
Last edited by Reza on Mon Jul 27, 2020 8:29 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

OscarGuy wrote:sorry. I thought Woodward had died.
She is suffering from total dementia and is being looked after nurses. Does not recognise anyone.
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

Big Magilla wrote:Clint Eastwood and Jack Nicholson.
How about Morgan Freeman, Marsha Mason and Harrison Ford? I think Greg was referring to a specific era that doesn't apply to many of these names being bandied about, although I suppose the same could be said for June Lockhart.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

sorry. I thought Woodward had died.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Clint Eastwood and Jack Nicholson.
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

Big Magilla wrote:I did mention Sophia, but missed those others.

Add Kim Novak and Maggie Smith.
Yeap. And Vera Miles.
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

OscarGuy wrote:Magilla, those people aren't all alive. That's what they were talking about.
Who among Joanne Woodward, Sophia Loren, Ann Blyth, Dean Stockwell, Leslie Caron, Harry Belafonte, Piper Laurie, Jane Powell, Don Murray, Russ Tamblyn, Shirley Jones, Rhonda Fleming, Arlene Dahl, Joan Collins, Susan Kohner, and Marisa Pavan did you think had died?
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

I did mention Sophia, but missed those others.

Add Kim Novak and Maggie Smith.
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

In addition to the ones that Magilla mentioned from the 50's Mamie Van Doren, Alain Delon, Jean-Louis Trintignant, Michael Craig, Shirley MacLaine, Brigitte Bardot, Sophia Loren, Gina Lollobrigida, Tuesday Weld, Lee Grant are all still with us.

I'd say there is a lot more than we can recall.
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

OscarGuy wrote:Magilla, those people aren't all alive. That's what they were talking about.
The ones Magilla mentions below are all still alive.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Magilla, those people aren't all alive. That's what they were talking about.
Wesley Lovell

Return to “The People”