R.I.P. Jerry Stiller

Whether they are behind the camera or in front of it, this is the place to discuss all filmmakers regardless of their role in the filmmaking process.
Greg
Tenured

Re: R.I.P. Jerry Stiller

Post by Greg »

The first TV performance of Jerry Stiller that came to my mind was the "Manzier" episode of Seinfeld. I do not have the url, but, there is a video on YouTube of Stiller and Meara promoting single-payer health care. It was made in the 1990's in response to the "Harry and Louise" ads that attacked the failed Clinton attempt at health-care reform.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

"Well, I see a little Blue Nun over there"
"Oh -- is she the one in the black pedal-pushers?"

A commercial that's stuck in my head for nearly 50 years.

Loved Stiller and Meara from their early Ed Sullivan Show appearances. Would never have imagined they'd endure this long. It turned out they were more than sharp comedians -- both turned out to be solid actors in a variety of genres (Jerry was just as good in a serious role, like Hurlyburly on stage, as he was in a sitcom that seemed his more natural range).

The whole family was from my neighborhood -- I used to see Anne at our video store back in the day -- and some friends have worked with various members. Good people. Losing Jerry means I keep getting older, and more of my past disappears all the time.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Thanks! Just as classy as I remember.
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

Big Magilla wrote:Jerry Stiller and Anne Meara were, for me, the greatest husband and wife comedy team of all time.

They were good on their own, but together they were magic. The only product I ever bought in my entire life because of a commercial endorsement by actors was Blue Nun, a German wine that had been around since the 1920s and heavily advertised since the 1950s that they famously popularized in a series of very witty radio and TV commercials in the early 1970s.

Have a little Blue Nun in honor of his memory, Magilla.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTt1uuA ... qrB8zir7Y8
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Jerry Stiller and Anne Meara were, for me, the greatest husband and wife comedy team of all time.

They were good on their own, but together they were magic. The only product I ever bought in my entire life because of a commercial endorsement by actors was Blue Nun, a German wine that had been around since the 1920s and heavily advertised since the 1950s that they famously popularized in a series of very witty radio and TV commercials in the early 1970s.
Precious Doll
Emeritus

R.I.P. Jerry Stiller

Post by Precious Doll »

I know him from playing Divine's husband in Hairpsray (1988).

Embarrassed to say but like Little Richard I thought he had passed away years ago:

https://variety.com/2020/tv/news/jerry- ... 234603183/
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)

Return to “The People”