R.I.P. Max von Sydow

Whether they are behind the camera or in front of it, this is the place to discuss all filmmakers regardless of their role in the filmmaking process.
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Re: R.I.P. Max von Sydow

Post by Reza »

His upcoming last film listed on IMDb is something called Echoes of the Past and has von Sydow very prominent and solely placed front and center on the film's poster.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

The Guardian's initial article referenced The Exorcist and The Seventh Seal, so at least they understood.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

I wake up to my phone telling me (alongside the grim stock market news) that von Sydow, "known for The Exorcist and Game of Thrones", has died. Reminiscent of when Alec Guinness, "Star Wars actor", died. It all makes me feel I've lived too long.

What a career von Sydow has had. He was famous before I was even really aware of movies. It's rather amazing how his presence from the Bergman films paved the way for him to play Christ (The Greatest Story Ever Told, first time I saw him) and Father Merrin. His shot at being a Hollywood leading man -- Hawaii -- didn't exactly work out, but it's hard to imagine he cared much; he continued to do a wide range of often-interesting films right up to today. (Looking at IMDB, I think I saw him in at least 30-40 movies.) A towering figure.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

I was shocked to learn he was 90. He seemed to be 90 for years. There’s something about him that just seemed 90.
"How's the despair?"
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Big Magilla wrote:
Precious Doll wrote:I know he was old be this is still a shocker. The man of course needs to introduction:

https://deadline.com/2020/03/max-von-sy ... 202877327/

And shame on the Academy for now giving him a much deserved honorary Oscar years ago.....
Agreed.
Ditto
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Precious Doll wrote:I know he was old be this is still a shocker. The man of course needs to introduction:

And shame on the Academy for now giving him a much deserved honorary Oscar years ago.....
Agreed.
Precious Doll
Emeritus

R.I.P. Max von Sydow

Post by Precious Doll »

I know he was old be this is still a shocker. The man of course needs to introduction:

"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)

Return to “The People”