R.I.P. Kobe Bryant

Whether they are behind the camera or in front of it, this is the place to discuss all filmmakers regardless of their role in the filmmaking process.
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Re: R.I.P. Kobe Bryant

Post by FilmFan720 »

Heksagon wrote:The only person to win an Olympic Gold Medal and an Academy Award didn't get to boast about that for very long.

Bryant was 41 when he died which has to make him one of the youngest Oscar winners to die. Heath Ledger was 28, Irving G. Thalberg was 37 and Howard Ashman and John Lennon were 40. I presume there are other younger ones, but I can't think of any at the moment.

I can think of one other Oscar winner who died in a helicopter crash, Original Screenplay winner Albert Lamorisse.
Heath Ledger is, I believe, the youngest at 28.

Juvenile award winner Bobby Driscoll died at 31; documentarian Malik Bendjelloul was 36; writer Pierre Collings and art director Frederick Hope were 37; short subject director Nancy Woodard was 39.

I believe River Phoenix is the youngest nominee ever to pass away.
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

Another young person was Malik Bendjelloul who won an Oscar for his documentary Search for Sugar Man who passed away at 36.
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
Heksagon
Adjunct

Post by Heksagon »

The only person to win an Olympic Gold Medal and an Academy Award didn't get to boast about that for very long.

Bryant was 41 when he died which has to make him one of the youngest Oscar winners to die. Heath Ledger was 28, Irving G. Thalberg was 37 and Howard Ashman and John Lennon were 40. I presume there are other younger ones, but I can't think of any at the moment.

I can think of one other Oscar winner who died in a helicopter crash, Original Screenplay winner Albert Lamorisse.
Franz Ferdinand
Adjunct

R.I.P. Kobe Bryant

Post by Franz Ferdinand »

Being that he IS an Academy Award-winning filmmaker in some capacity, it's worth mentioning that the basketball legend died in a helicopter crash in Calabasas today. I think his legacy was immeasurably tarnished by the rape allegation against him in 2003, but he was a sporting legend.

Return to “The People”