R.I.P. Peter Fonda

Whether they are behind the camera or in front of it, this is the place to discuss all filmmakers regardless of their role in the filmmaking process.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Re: R.I.P. Peter Fonda

Post by Mister Tee »

Wow -- this one came out of nowhere for me. I had no idea he was ailing.

I never thought Easy Rider amounted to much, except as a launch for Nicholson's career and demonstration of the counterculture's box-office potential. But it puts Fonda in the movie history books.

I see by his IMDB page that he worked right up to the end. In fact, he seems to have been phenomenally busy the past decade or two. But I can't say I've seen any of the many films and TV shows listed.

It's nice that he has the one acting nomination, for very graceful work in Ulee's Gold.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

R.I.P. Peter Fonda

Post by Sabin »

Peter Fonda Dies: Symbol Of A Generation In ‘Easy Rider’ Was 79
By Bruce Haring

https://deadline.com/2019/08/peter-fond ... 202670129/

Peter Fonda, a two-time Oscar nominee best known for his work in the groundbreaking Easy Rider, which he co-wrote, produced and co-starred in, has died.

The son of Hollywood legend Henry Fonda, brother of actress Jane Fonda, and father of actress Bridget Fonda, his death was confirmed by his publicist.

“It is with deep sorrow that we share the news that Peter Fonda has passed away. Fonda, 79 years old, passed away peacefully on Friday morning, August 16th at 11:05am at his home in Los Angeles surrounded by family. The official cause of death was respiratory failure due to lung cancer.

“In one of the saddest moments of our lives, we are not able to find the appropriate words to express the pain in our hearts. As we grieve, we ask that you respect our privacy.

And, while we mourn the loss of this sweet and gracious man, we also wish for all to celebrate his indomitable spirit and love of life.

In honor of Peter, please raise a glass to freedom. From his Family.

Fonda’s death comes just past the 50th anniversary of the release of Easy Rider, which debuted on July 14. The film will be celebrated with a screening and concert set for Sept. 20 at New York’s Radio City Music Hall. The film, which starred Fonda, Dennis Hopper and Jack Nicholson, will be shown in sync with a live performance of its soundtrack. Expected to appear are Steppenwolf’s John Kay, who will perform Born To Be Wild, and Roger McGuinn, Others will appear under the music direction of T-Bone Burnett.

Fonda was also an Oscar nominee for Best Actor in his role as a beekeeper in Ulee’s Gold. He also won a Golden Globe in 2000 for The Passion of Ayn Rand.

Fonda was married three times, currently to Margaret DeVogelere.
"How's the despair?"

Return to “The People”