Happy Birthday, Jane Wyman

Whether they are behind the camera or in front of it, this is the place to discuss all filmmakers regardless of their role in the filmmaking process.
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

God, the 1980s just flashed before my eyes while reading the banter between both of you. Dallas, Dynasty, Falcon Crest, Knots Landing and The Colbys. I was completely hooked onto Dynasty and The Colbys. Never really got into Dallas or Falcon Crest, though would catch glimpses while they were playing on tv. Those hideous clothes and wigs were such a scream!
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

I have no idea, in fact, I wasn't even aware that Melrose Place was on DVD! I watched the first boring season and gave up; which means I stopped before Heather Locklear showed up, which is when I guess the show got good.
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

How is Melrose Place doing?
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

DVD sales for Dallas have done extremely well (season 5 comes out soon); the second season of Dynasty is due to be released soon, as well (the first season did only moderately well in sales, but that may be because Joan Collins' Alexis doesn't show up until season 2).
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

I think you're right about Turner. It does seem like way more than 5 epsodes. 9 years, really? By that time I must have stopped watching.

As far as its DVD release, I don't know. I don't think night tiem soaps sell all that well. Maybe they'll issue seaon one and see how it goes before investing any more money in it.
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

IMDb is notoriously wrong on the number of episodes an actor appears on a show; Lana was certainly on the show for more than 5 episodes as Chase's mother Jacqueline Perrault (perhaps 5 in season 1, but definitely most of season 2, before Jacqueline was shot by Julia [Abby Dalton] in the season 2 cliffhanger). Also, FC actually lasted for 9 seasons (1981-90); the 9th was undeniably the worst, with Wyman taking most of it off per doctors' orders, but reappearing for the final episode (by this time, the only original cast members still on the show were Lorenzo Lamas and Chao-Li Chi).

Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Wow! I didn't realize Falcon Crest lasted six seasons. Checking into it further on imdb, I don't recall all those famous actors having been on the show - Dana Andrews, Cliff Robertson, Eddie Albert I can picture, but Gina Lollobrigida and Kim Novak I can't. Novak seems to have lasted a whole season. Lana Turner, on the other hand, I recall, but was surprised to learn she was only in five episodes before they gave her the boot. I recall Wyman complaining at the time that Turner thought she was still at MGM with an entourage to cater to her every whim, a practrice that annoyed Wyman no end.

Interesting how Billy Moses matured into William in just two years while Lorenzo Lamas looked the same throughout the six years.
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

Happy Birthday to Ms. Wyman, truly a wonderful actress, whose performance in Johnny Belinda is, imho, one of the true great and deserving Oscar wins in history.

By the way, has anybody heard if Falcon Crest will be showing up on DVD anytime soon? There were some rumblings early last year, when Susan Sullivan (being interviewed in relation to a Dharma & Greg DVD release) revealed that she had been told FC would be out "in the next year." In the meantime, to tide us over....

The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

I watched The Lost Weekend last night. Granted, it's not the showcase for Wyman that her best roles have provided, but I was thinking about her too, Magilla!
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Today is Jane Wyman's 93rd birthday. I just thought it would be nice to note that someone is still alive and well instead of waiting for them to die to mention them.

My idea for the next generation Oscar book would be to interview the Oscar insiders who go back to the beginning, or as close to the beginning as we can, and find out who and what they voted for over the years. I'd start with Oscar winners Wyman, Olivia de Havilland and SAG co-founder Gloria Stuart while they're still around.

Return to “The People”