R.I.P. Rip Torn

Whether they are behind the camera or in front of it, this is the place to discuss all filmmakers regardless of their role in the filmmaking process.
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Re: R.I.P. Rip Torn

Post by Precious Doll »

As I was unaware op Rip Torn's work on hugely successful TV shows I was initially shocked at the amount of press he received. He deserves all the attention he is receiving anyway for his film work alone - an always reliable actor and welcome presence to nearly every film he appeared in. Glad to see his work in The Man Who Fell to Earth is getting some mention though its a shame that one of his best performances in Coming Apart (1969) is largely forgotten. I also must sight his very funny performance in the much derailed Freddy Got Fingered - pretty ballsy to take on that role which he pulled off effortessly.

And what a collection of wives over the years: Ann Wedgeworth, Geraldine Page & Amy Wright - just wow. Take about talent in spades there. And if his only claim to fame had been encouraging his cousin (along with his wife Geraldine Page) Sissy Spacek in her career into acting (after a failed singing career attempt), that would be more than enough in my book.
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

I can't say I was all that wild about his early career, and he had a tendency toward the ham. (When he got his unexpected Oscar nomination for Cross Creek, a friend of mine said, No, don't encourage him.) But he was absolutely perfect on The Larry Sanders Show -- hilariously inappropriate at every moment. This of course became his persona from then on, and I enjoyed it every time. (In fact, like with Leslie Nielsen post-Naked Gun, I had trouble watching his older/blander performances without giggling, expecting at an moment he'd burst into the familiar comedy.)

It was a NY legend that, when he and Geraldine lived together, their mailbox read Torn/Page. And now, today, we have RIP Rip.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Fantastic in Defending Your Life. When he appeared on 30 Rock, he seemed so old. I thought for sure we only had him for a short while longer. Apparently, around that time he was arrested, intoxicated, armed with a loaded revolver, breaking into a Connecticut bank after hours. Shows what I know about Texans at least.
"How's the despair?"
anonymous1980
Laureate

R.I.P. Rip Torn

Post by anonymous1980 »

Another great one gone.

Story.

Return to “The People”