R.I.P. Alvin Sargent

Whether they are behind the camera or in front of it, this is the place to discuss all filmmakers regardless of their role in the filmmaking process.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Re: R.I.P. Alvin Sargent

Post by Big Magilla »

Mister Tee wrote:He wrote the kind of down-the-middle, intelligently moving dramas that most studios wouldn't think of making today. Not an experimenter, but a fine practitioner of pure craft -- like a less glib William Goldman. The Hellmann/Julia cafe encounter, Pookie Adams' desperate phone call, Trixie Delight's hilltop monologue -- they're all on him, and that rates a big salute.
He wrote some of the most memorable screenplays of the last half of the 20th Century and at least two of the best of the early 21st Century.

My top ten:
Gambit (1966)
The Sterile Cuckoo (1969)
The Effect of Gamma Rays on Man-in-the-Moon Marigolds (1972)
Paper Moon (1974)
Julia (1977)
Ordinary People (1980)
Dominick and Eugene (1988)
White Palace (1990)
Unfaithful (2002)
Spider-Man 2 (2004)
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Sabin wrote:Great writer.

He also survived his wife, Laura Ziszkin by eight years. They were married for one year.
Sargent and Ziskin lived together for more than 25 years before making it official, a relationship that lasted longer than his 22-year marriage to actress Joan Camden from 1953-1975. His six-time Emmy award-winning brother Herbert was also a writer who had been married to and divorced from actresses - Norma Crane and Geraldine Brooks.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

He wrote the kind of down-the-middle, intelligently moving dramas that most studios wouldn't think of making today. Not an experimenter, but a fine practitioner of pure craft -- like a less glib William Goldman. The Hellmann/Julia cafe encounter, Pookie Adams' desperate phone call, Trixie Delight's hilltop monologue -- they're all on him, and that rates a big salute.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Great writer.

He also survived his wife, Laura Ziszkin by eight years. They were married for one year.
"How's the despair?"
Precious Doll
Emeritus

R.I.P. Alvin Sargent

Post by Precious Doll »

2 time Oscar winning screenwriter for Julia & Ordinary People. He was also nominated for Paper Moon:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/ ... 92-1166270
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)

Return to “The People”