RIP Peter Boyle

Whether they are behind the camera or in front of it, this is the place to discuss all filmmakers regardless of their role in the filmmaking process.
kaytodd
Assistant

Post by kaytodd »

Entertaining and interesting to watch even in roles and films that were beneath him. Boyle didn't make these films worth watching, but I always enjoyed watching Boyle.

I was not a fan of Johnny Dangerously but I enjoyed his role as the crime boss for whom Michael Keaton worked. Funny performance in an OK film. I have vague memories of the TV miniseries remake of From Here To Eternity from the late 1970's (yes, they actually did this). But I do remember how creepy and downright mean Boyle was as Fatso, Ernest Borgnine's character from the film. Hardcore was a really bad film that can be enjoyed as a piece of camp. But Boyle was fun as the private eye George C Scott hires to find his daughter. Tail Gunner Joe was a bad TV movie about Senator Joe McCarthy but I remember thinking Boyle was very good in the title role and he made McCarthy a complex person, not a cartoon character.

One film I have not seen mentioned yet was Friends Of Eddie Coyle. Top notch crime thriller directed by Peter Yates. Saw it about a year ago after several years. Different from a lot of other caper films, rather low key. Good performances by Boyle and Robert Mitchum. Hope it will be run again on TV soon.
The great thing in the world is not so much where we stand, as in what direction we are moving. It's faith in something and enthusiasm for something that makes a life worth living. Oliver Wendell Holmes
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Joe is also on DVD. This is the movie I was thinking of when I said I always liked Peter Boyle even when I didn't like his movies.

The late Dennis Patrick was also quite good in it.

It was kind of depressing to hear the various "entertainment" reporteers refer to Young Frankenstein as Boyle's breaktrhough as though Joe and even The Candidate had never happened, but that's what I've come to expect from them. He'll make it into Oscar's In Memorium this year not because of his memorable screen work, but becuase the organizers know him from Everyobidy Loves Raymond. Sad, sad, sad.
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

Tee, I have Joe on VHS, so if you ever want to borrow it . . .

It's not very good -- it is after al a John G. Avildsen picture -- but Boyle is truly memorable and non-caricatureish, finding great depth in what easily could have been a one-dimensional part. It is a true time capsule movie.

I've always assumed that Boyle came in 6th among Best Actor contenders that year.
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

I've been quite surprised so many of the on-air obits have not even mentioned Joe. I expected such from ET, whose memory only goes back to 1980, but even the ABC News story stuck to Raymond and Young Frankenstein. Leaving out Joe is like not mentioning The Graduate for Hoffman, or Thelma and Louise for Brad Pitt -- it was the role that took him from absolutely nowhere, and gave him this 35 year career. (Oh, and for those who think the Oscars just started making stupid choices...they skipped over Boyle's breakthrough in 1970, in favor of Ryan O'Neal in Love Story)

I actually assume I wouldn't like Joe very much today -- it was quite "of the moment", and I'd guess it would ring of caricature today. But you'd think that a movie that launched both Boyle and Susan Sarandon would be better remembered. Are prints even available? I haven't seen it around in decades.

I was unaware of his health problems, and thus found this shocking. It's a shame he's the only member of Raymond cast who never won an Emmy (the dreary Garrett won over and over). But Boyle will be remembered, and I assume the ho-hum sitcom left him very comfortable in his final years.
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

A good friend of mine is best friends with one of his daughters, amd I had heard over a year ago that his health was tenuous. Still this came as a shock.

I never watched Raymond, and from the moments I saw it when my beloved was channel surfing, it looked pretty obnoxious and stupid, but I am glad it brought Boyle late career recognition. But most of all, Peter Boyle rekindles memories of a 15-year-old anti-Vietnam War lefty kid reading a New York Times article about the star of Joe and being so impressed at the dichotomy between the actor and his character, and thinking how cool this ex-monastery denizen seemed. I've loved him ever since.
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
VanHelsing
Assistant

Post by VanHelsing »

He was Bullock's co-star in While You Were Sleeping. How can I forget him?! Really gonna miss him.
With a Southern accent...
"Don't you dare lie to me!" and...
"You threaten my congeniality, you threaten me!"

-------

"You shouldn't be doing what you're doing. The truth is enough!"
"Are you and Perry?" ... "Please, Nelle."
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

I actually like Everybody Loves Raymond quite a bit. He was one of the reasons.

I will remember him fondly for his outstanding performance in one of my favorite episodes of The X-Files.

RIP.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

I always liked Peter Boyle, even when I didn't like the films/TV shows he was in. He was the classiest thing about Everybody Loves Raymond.
Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

Sad news. Great actor
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

So sad...his performance in Young Frankenstein is legendary, but he was a great dramatic actor too who never got enough credit. I dislike Everybody Loves Raymond quite a bit, but if it finally got him the due he deserved, it can't be completely bad.

Tripp
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

I'm surprised this article didn't mention his role as Billy Bob's racist father in "Monster's Ball".
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

Aww, that's sad. And these days, 71 is young.

He had apparently been sick for a very long time. I saw a few episodes of Raymond's final season, and he was looking pretty bad.

Can anyone tell me about this show "Joe Bash"? Did anyone see it? That's one of those legendary lost shows, I understand, and he's supposed to have been magnificent.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

This is sad news. I may not have been the biggest Raymond fan but Boyle often added a great deal of energy and fun to the show. None will soon forget his Young Frankenstein performance.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

Peter Boyle, the tall, prematurely bald actor who was the tap-dancing monster in "Young Frankenstein" and the curmudgeonly father in the long-running sitcom "Everybody Loves Raymond," has died. He was 71.

Boyle died Tuesday evening at New York Presbyterian Hospital. He had been suffering from multiple myeloma and heart disease, said his publicist, Jennifer Plante.

A Christian Brothers monk who turned to acting, Boyle gained notice playing an angry workingman in the Vietnam-era hit "Joe." But he overcome typecasting when he took on the role of the hulking, lab-created monster in
Mel Brooks' 1974 send-up of horror films.

The movie's defining moment came when Gene Wilder, as scientist Frederick Frankenstein, introduced his creation to an upscale audience. Boyle, decked out in tails, performed a song-and-dance routine to the Irving Berlin classic "Puttin' On the Ritz."

It showed another side of the Emmy-winning actor, one that would be exploited in countless other films and perhaps best in "Everybody Loves Raymond," in which he played incorrigible paterfamilias Frank Barone for 10 years.

"He's just obnoxious in a nice way, just for laughs," he said of the character in a 2001 interview. "It's a very sweet experience having this happen at a time when you basically go back over your life and see every mistake you ever made."

When Boyle tried out for the role opposite series star Ray Romano's Ray Barone, however, he was kept waiting for his audition — and he was not happy.

"He came in all hot and angry," recalled the show's creator, Phil Rosenthal, "and I hired him because I was afraid of him."

But Rosenthal also noted: "I knew right away that he had a comic presence."

Boyle first came to the public's attention more than a quarter century before. "Joe" was a sleeper hit in which he portrayed the title role, an angry, murderous bigot at odds with the era's emerging hippie youth culture.

Although critically acclaimed, he faced being categorized as someone who played tough, angry types. He broke free of that to some degree as
Robert Redford's campaign manager in "The Candidate," and shed it entirely in "Young Frankenstein."

The latter film also led to the actor meeting his wife, Loraine Alterman, who visited the set as a reporter for Rolling Stone magazine. Boyle, still in his monster makeup, quickly asked her for a date.

He went on to appear in dozens of films and to star in "Joe Bash," an acclaimed but short-lived 1986 "dramedy" in which he played a lonely beat cop. He won an Emmy in 1996 for his guest-starring role in an episode of "The X Files," and he was nominated for "Everybody Loves Raymond" and for the 1977 TV film "Tail Gunner Joe," in which he played Sen. Joseph McCarthy.

In the 1976 film "Taxi Driver," he was the cabbie-philosopher Wizard, who counseled Robert DeNiro's violent Travis Bickle.

Other notable films included "T.R. Baskin," "F.I.S.T.," "Johnny Dangerously," "Conspiracy: Trial of the Chicago 8" (as activist David Dellinger), "The Dream Team," "The Santa Claus," "The Santa Claus 2," "While You Were Sleeping" (in a charming turn as
Sandra Bullock's future father-in-law) and "Scooby Doo 2: Monsters Unleashed."

Educated in Roman Catholic schools in Philadelphia, Boyle would spend three years in a monastery before abandoning his studies there. He later described the experience as similar to "living in the Middle Ages."

He explained his decision to leave in 1991: "I felt the call for awhile; then I felt the normal pull of the world and the flesh."

He traveled to New York to study with Uta Hagen, supporting himself for five years with various jobs, including postal worker, waiter, maitre d' and office temp. Finally, he was cast in a road company version of "The Odd Couple." When the play reached Chicago he quit to study with that city's famed improvisational troupe Second City.

Upon returning to New York, he began to land roles in TV commercials, off-Broadway plays and finally films.

Through Alterman, a friend of
Yoko Ono, the actor became close friends with John Lennon.

"We were both seekers after a truth, looking for a quick way to enlightenment," Boyle once said of Lennon, who was best man at his wedding.

In 1990, Boyle suffered a stroke and couldn't talk for six months. In 1999, he had a heart attack on the set of "Everybody Loves Raymond." He soon regained his health, however, and returned to the series.

Despite his work in "Everybody Loves Raymond" and other Hollywood productions, Boyle made New York City his home. He and his wife had two daughters, Lucy and Amy.

Return to “The People”