R.I.P. Anémone

Whether they are behind the camera or in front of it, this is the place to discuss all filmmakers regardless of their role in the filmmaking process.
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Re: R.I.P. Anémone

Post by Precious Doll »

I've managed to find a good obituary on Anémone in English: https://www.eyeforfilm.co.uk/news/2019- ... ard-mowe-1

I'm also going to take the passing of Anémone to plug one of her last films called Rosalie Blum (2016) which for some bizarre reason was never released in the US or UK, though it is possible it may be streaming somewhere.

Because of Australia's on-going love affair with French cinema we are very lucky to have lots of French films released at the cinema and on DVD (usually that don't get picked up for distribution in the UK or US. Julien Rappeaneau's Rosalie Blum is one such recent case and I highly recommend the film. The film is one of those that is structured rather cleverly in that it tells the story initially from one character's point of view and as is progresses we have the story from the view point of other characters and in the process more layers are added and the story enrich as it progresses. It ties up beautifully in the end. Anémone plays a supporting role as the leading man's (a brilliant Kyan Khojandi) cantankerous mother. She is wonderful and an absolute hoot in the film. Interestingly, the film is based on a graphic novel. Anyway, copies of the Australian DVD are around for sale but the DVD is region locked to Region 4, but if you can pick up a copy at a reasonable price its worth a look.

Anémone's most famous role is probably in Jean-Loup Hubert's 1987 La Grand Chemin. Sadly the film remains unreleased in any English speaking territories on DVD or Blu Ray (to my knowledge) but its certainly worth tracking down - its a real charmer of a film and Anémone won a well earned Caesar award for Best Actress.

La Grand Chemin was remade in 1991 with Melanie Griffith & Don Johnson - its a not a bad film just rather blah and was of course one of a series of films made in 1990's that helped to derail Melanie Griffiths career. If you have seen it please don't let it put you off seeing the far superior French original.
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
Precious Doll
Emeritus

R.I.P. Anémone

Post by Precious Doll »

French actress best known for Death in a French Garden, The Grand Highway and more recently Rosalie Blum:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anémone
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)

Return to “The People”