R.I.P. John Singleton

Whether they are behind the camera or in front of it, this is the place to discuss all filmmakers regardless of their role in the filmmaking process.
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Re: R.I.P. John Singleton

Post by FilmFan720 »

Precious Doll wrote:
Precious Doll wrote:
Heksagon wrote:John Singleton's career was the most extreme example of starting at the top and making his way to the bottom that I can think in Hollywood, at least in recent decades. I wonder if there is now going to be some effort to re-evaluate some of his less successful work.

The youngest Best Director nominee is also one of the youngest ones to die. The only one who died younger than Singleton, that I can find, was Ted Wilde, who died a day after his 40th birthday.

The youngest ones after Singleton, that I can find, are Francois Truffaut (52), Victor Schertzinger (53) and Anthony Minghella (54)
Ernst Lubitsch follows at 55.
And Krzysztof Kieslowski at 54.
Ted Wilde is the youngest Best Comedy Director to pass away at 40. Singleton would technically be the youngest Best Director nominee, followed by Truffaut at 52, Schertzinger and W.S. Van Dyke at 53, Kieslowski and Minghella at 54, and Lubitsch at 55.

Robert Rossen, John Farrow, Hal Ashby, John Cassavetes, Victor Fleming, and Gregory La Cava were all under 60.

Michael Anderson had the longest life of any Best Director nominee, living to 98. The oldest living nominee is Norman Jewison at 92. The youngest is Damien Chazzelle.
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

Reza wrote:
Precious Doll wrote:There is no such thing as a 'good death'.
Going to sleep as usual but not waking up would be a "good" way to go.
To some degree, but not for the loved ones left behind. Not being able to say goodbye etc but on the other hand one is spared prolonged suffering and decline.
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Precious Doll wrote:There is no such thing as a 'good death'.
Going to sleep as usual but not waking up would be a "good" way to go.
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

While I pretty much concur with the view that John Singleton's career generally nose-dived after Boyz n the Hood, his 1995 film Higher Learning is not without it merits. It probably punched too high but it was still a pretty impressive piece and is I think his best post Boyz film that really deserves reassessment.

His passing is very tragic given his age. This year alone I know of a number of people diagnosed with cancer, transient global amnesia, cellulitis, stroke (lucky to be still with us as her husband noticed a change in her behaviour, filmed her and whisked her off to the hospital where quick action was taken and disaster avoided, a broken foot requiring screws in - for a very active person too. Most these are people aged 55 to around 60.

There is no such thing as a 'good death'.
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

Precious Doll wrote:
Heksagon wrote:John Singleton's career was the most extreme example of starting at the top and making his way to the bottom that I can think in Hollywood, at least in recent decades. I wonder if there is now going to be some effort to re-evaluate some of his less successful work.

The youngest Best Director nominee is also one of the youngest ones to die. The only one who died younger than Singleton, that I can find, was Ted Wilde, who died a day after his 40th birthday.

The youngest ones after Singleton, that I can find, are Francois Truffaut (52), Victor Schertzinger (53) and Anthony Minghella (54)
And Krzysztof Kieslowski at 54.
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

Big Magilla wrote:Three who might've been Oscar nominees had they lived longer: Jean Vigo, 29; F.W. Murnau, 42; Richard Boleslawski, 47; all of whom were at career peaks when they died in the 1930s.

Singleton is one of the saddest. He seemed like someone with such a bright future when he earned his first and only nomination that what followed went from disappointing to irrelevant in record time, quite likely having an effect on his health, leading to his early death.
At 37, Fassbinder can be added to that list as well.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Three who might've been Oscar nominees had they lived longer: Jean Vigo, 29; F.W. Murnau, 42; Richard Boleslawski, 47; all of whom were at career peaks when they died in the 1930s.

Singleton is one of the saddest. He seemed like someone with such a bright future when he earned his first and only nomination that what followed went from disappointing to irrelevant in record time, quite likely having an effect on his health, leading to his early death.
Heksagon
Adjunct

Post by Heksagon »

John Singleton's career was the most extreme example of starting at the top and making his way to the bottom that I can think in Hollywood, at least in recent decades. I wonder if there is now going to be some effort to re-evaluate some of his less successful work.

Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

As with every passing, John Singleton's career reads differently today than it did last week. Last week, it read a talented, competent director who directed one great film (or at least one perceived to be great) and then never get close to topping it. Sometimes it looked like he was trying (Poetic Justice, Rosewood), sometimes it didn't (2 Fast 2 Furious, Four Brothers). In 2014, John Singleton gave a speech to Loyala Marymount where he criticized Hollywood for not, "letting the black people tell the stories." Today, we can look at John Singleton's career as a man who worked constantly to tell black stories within the Hollywood system. Compared to his contemporaries of the wave of "urban filmmakers," it's hard to look at his career as anything other than a historic success.

It's just crazy that he's gone so young. Shocking. Sad.
"How's the despair?"
Big Magilla
Site Admin

R.I.P. John Singleton

Post by Big Magilla »

Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Re: John Singleton

Post by Reza »

Big Magilla wrote:He's on life support now, inaccurately reported as dead a few hours ago.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/life/peo ... 614689002/
But the obituaries are saying he was taken off life support and he has passed away.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Re: John Singleton

Post by Big Magilla »

He's on life support now, inaccurately reported as dead a few hours ago.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/life/peo ... 614689002/
Big Magilla
Site Admin

R.I.P. John Singleton

Post by Big Magilla »

First African-American nominated for Best Director is in a coma in an L.A. hospital at 51.

https://www.nydailynews.com/news/nation ... story.html

Return to “The People”