R.I.P. Bruno Ganz

Whether they are behind the camera or in front of it, this is the place to discuss all filmmakers regardless of their role in the filmmaking process.
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Re: R.I.P. Bruno Ganz

Post by Precious Doll »

Mister Tee wrote:A fine actor, who's probably been more widely seen in those fake-subtitled clips from Downfall than in any of his other excellent work.
That is so true and its so sad to observe the following in the Australian press anyway:

1) Bruno Ganz's passing is getting way more press than Albert Finney got because (read on in point two), though The Guardian has been the exception;

2) Its primarily in relation to the fake-subtitled clips from Downfall that Mister Tee mentioned;

3) They pretty much only mention his work in Downfall, Herzog, Rohmer, Wenders and Hollywood junk and ignore some of his best European work like Knife in the Head, In the White City & The Dust of Time (which I have to admit I don't care for but plenty do);

4) That the press in Australia is so clueless that they fall to even mention that he appeared in Gillian Armstrong's The Last Days of Chez Nous (1992) which on its release was very well received and did pretty good business (and for my money easily Armstrongs best work).

A side note: a live near were much of Chez Nous was shot. The house in which most of the film is set is a 3 minute walk around two corners from where I have lived since 2007. I didn't realise it was the house from the film until we happened to rewatch the film about 6 or 7 years ago and of course went 'wow, thats just around the corner'. We now refer to the house as the 'Chez Nous House'.
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Re: R.I.P. Bruno Ganz

Post by Mister Tee »

A fine actor, who's probably been more widely seen in those fake-subtitled clips from Downfall than in any of his other excellent work.
Precious Doll
Emeritus

R.I.P. Bruno Ganz

Post by Precious Doll »

One of the key actors of the German New Wave (though his was Swiss Born). This one is a shocker - he like Albert Finney gave so many great performances in great/good films. He worked with Herzog & Wenders but was never part of the Fassbinder group.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bruno_Ganz

https://www.thewrap.com/bruno-ganz-who- ... ies-at-77/
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)

Return to “The People”