R.I.P. Albert Finney

Whether they are behind the camera or in front of it, this is the place to discuss all filmmakers regardless of their role in the filmmaking process.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Re: R.I.P. Albert Finney

Post by Big Magilla »

All those except Wolfen which I haven;t seen in decades.

I've probably seen Finney's version of Scrooge now just as many times as the Reginald Owen version if not the Alastair Sim version as well.
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

Big Magilla wrote:I've re-seen so many of his films in the past few years, it didn't occur to me that he hadn't made a film in seven years until I came across the notation in this article that Skyfall was his last film.
I've watched a lot of his films in the last 2 years or so: Tom Jones, Saturday Night and Sunday Morning, Wolfen, The Dresser, Murder on the Orient Express (which I didn't much care for on my initial viewing in the 1980s but loved the second time round and I had a lot more appreciation for the entire cast) and The Entertainer (his feature film debut). I've seen Under the Volcano & Two For the Road so many times I've lost count.
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

I've re-seen so many of his films in the past few years, it didn't occur to me that he hadn't made a film in seven years until I came across the notation in this article that Skyfall was his last film.
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

Here is a link to a terrific piece on Albert Finney. Lots of great photos and observations of him by people who worked with and knew him:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... inney.html
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

Reza wrote:Apparently Finney told the Academy that he would not bother coming over to collect an honorary Oscar. Since the Academy does not present in absentia that was their last attempt at giving Finney one.

Janet Gaynor and Myrna Loy were both awarded Oscars and their acceptance speech was filmed at their homes. Godard was awarded an Oscar in absentia too so not sure if the Finney story holds true.
I think Godard pulled a swifty on them. Accepting the award and than nearer the awards ceremony saying he couldn't travel all that way without smoking. That forced the Academy to make do the best they could.

Also, the Academy allowed Carrie Fisher to accept on Debbie Reynolds behalf a couple of years ago due to her mothers ailing health.

Finney never attended the Oscars for any of his nominations and is quoted as saying something like he didn't want to sit around for hours where he couldn't enjoy smoking and drinking. He had kidney cancer about 6 six years which he beat and apparently passed away as the result of a chest infection.

I wish the Academy would give more Honorary Awards to people whilst they are still in their 70s as a number don't even make it to their 80's and some are serious decline by then. Besides, one wants receiptants to get as many years as possible to enjoy the honour and memory of such an event.
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

Big Magilla wrote:I'd add David Warner, Timothy Dalton and late in the decade, Malcolm McDowell to the list. Warner and McDowell were definitely in the angry young man mold, Dalton not so much.
Great catches.

How could I forget David Warner :oops: - one of the favourite actors of all time and it was nice seeing him Mary Poppins Returns recently. The 1960s was certainly a showcase for British acting talent. Juts an extraordinary period for actors, actresses and directors too.
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Apparently Finney told the Academy that he would not bother coming over to collect an honorary Oscar. Since the Academy does not present in absentia that was their last attempt at giving Finney one.

Janet Gaynor and Myrna Loy were both awarded Oscars and their acceptance speech was filmed at their homes. Godard was awarded an Oscar in absentia too so not sure if the Finney story holds true.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

I'd add David Warner, Timothy Dalton and late in the decade, Malcolm McDowell to the list. Warner and McDowell were definitely in the angry young man mold, Dalton not so much.
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

Reza wrote:
Mister Tee wrote:Was he the last survivor of the Angry Young Man cohort, or do we count Tom Courtenay?
Maybe not quite from the "angry young man" school of cinema but I think his only surviving contemporaries from the 1960s are Tom Courtenay, Terence Stamp and Michael Caine.
There is also (not from the "angry young man" group) Sean Connery, Murray Melvin & James Fox. Later in the 1960s Edward Fox, Anthony Hopkins & Michael York would all emerge. I honestly can't think of anyone else.
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Mister Tee wrote:Was he the last survivor of the Angry Young Man cohort, or do we count Tom Courtenay?
Maybe not quite from the "angry young man" school of cinema but I think his only surviving contemporaries from the 1960s are Tom Courtenay, Terence Stamp and Michael Caine.
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Mister Tee wrote:Given his disdain for honors like a knighthood, it's entirely possible he was offered a lifetime achievement award and said no. He's certainly earned one in most people's estimation.
In 2001 he was awarded the BAFTA Fellowship, their version of the honorary Oscar, which he very proudly accepted.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

Was he the last survivor of the Angry Young Man cohort, or do we count Tom Courtenay?

Truly an astonishing filmography -- and he didn't even make that many films, relative to some contemporaries, because he still did so much stage work.

So many splendid movies in which he played a part -- Saturday Night and Sunday Morning, Tom Jones, Two for the Road and Miller's Crossing personal favorites.

As for prizes: he demonstrated that you could do quality work year over year and simply slip through -- never quite having the right vehicle in the right year. Given his disdain for honors like a knighthood, it's entirely possible he was offered a lifetime achievement award and said no. He's certainly earned one in most people's estimation.
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Such sad news.....and yet another great star the Academy failed to honour with an honorary Oscar.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

One of the great ones. He'll definitely be missed.
Bog
Assistant

Post by Bog »

Titanic loss to the world of film and television!

Return to “The People”