R.I.P. Carol Channing

Whether they are behind the camera or in front of it, this is the place to discuss all filmmakers regardless of their role in the filmmaking process.
danfrank
Assistant

Re: R.I.P. Carol Channing

Post by danfrank »

Carol Channing was, as far as I knew when I was a kid, one of these celebrities who was on television a lot who was amusing and somewhat kooky. Not someone I took seriously. Then, as a young adult who had been studying theater, I saw her on stage in one of the revivals of Hello, Dolly! She was astoundingly good, commanding the stage like few others I have ever seen. That's a very special talent, and she had it.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Re: R.I.P. Carol Channing

Post by Big Magilla »

The end of an era.

Once there were Mary Martin, Ethel Merman, Gwen Verdon and Channing, huge Broadway stars known throughout the world who couldn't translate their drawing power to film no matter how hard they tried but remained big in the entertainment world no matter what.

She lasted longer than the rest, as did the 727, the commercial airliner of choice from the 60s to the 80s, which debuted two years before Hello, Dolly! and flew its last commercial flight two days before Channing's death.

May they both fly forever in memory.
HarryGoldfarb
Adjunct

R.I.P. Carol Channing

Post by HarryGoldfarb »

"If you place an object in a museum, does that make this object a piece of art?" - The Square (2017)

Return to “The People”