R.I.P. Diana Coupland

Whether they are behind the camera or in front of it, this is the place to discuss all filmmakers regardless of their role in the filmmaking process.
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

BBC Online

Actress Diana Coupland dies at 74
Actress Diana Coupland, best known for her role in 1970s sitcom Bless This House, has died in hospital aged 74.

The comedy actress died at Coventry's University Hospital, after she failed to recuperate from surgery to resolve long-term heart problems.

"The operation was a success but because of Diana's longstanding illness, her condition continued to deteriorate," the surgeon said.

Coupland more recently played roles in EastEnders and Casualty.

Bond role

"Diana's chances of a full recovery were discussed with her family and they made a decision that she should be allowed to pass away peacefully," said heart surgeon Ramesh Patel.

"May I offer my condolences to the family for the loss of their wife and mother, who I know will be greatly missed."

Coupland had not wanted to act initially. Ballet dancing was her first choice of career, but a horse-riding accident prevented her pursuing that ambition.

She began acting in the 60s. Her early career saw her singing voice dubbed over the voice of Ursula Andress in the James Bond film Dr No.

But it was her role in Bless This House, opposite Sid James, that brought her television fame.

She continued to work solidly through the 1980s, and featured in popular shows including police drama Juliet Bravo and Triangle, the series set on a North Sea ferry.

The actress was also well known for her charitable works, becoming patron for National Lupus UK, a charity supporting people suffering from Systemic and Discoid Lupus.
Story from BBC NEWS:

Return to “The People”