R.I.P. Bernardo Bertolucci

Whether they are behind the camera or in front of it, this is the place to discuss all filmmakers regardless of their role in the filmmaking process.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Re: R.I.P. Bernardo Bertolucci

Post by Mister Tee »

I've been kind of busy, and haven't had time to offer my salute to this major contributor to world cinema. His career had its peaks and valleys, but anyone responsible for The Conformist, 1900 and, above all, Last Tango in Paris, merits nothing but approbation.

I will say, if you'd asked me at the end of the 70s who was among those least likely to ever win an Oscar, Bertolucci would easily have come to mind. It's gratifying that even The Academy found a way to honor him, if not for his finest work.
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

I had the privilege of meeting him, many years ago. A true gentleman, ready to give advice to the young, and with an obvious love for that art called cinema which he had contributed to make great. Also, an Italian intellectual of a kind which doesn't exist anymore.
Today with a colleague we tried to name the (sadly few) great directors of the Golden Age of Italian cinema who are still alive. Wertmuller, Cavani, Argento, one of the Taviani brothers, Zeffirelli... Not many others.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

I actually thought Nicolas Roeg had died years ago. Bertolucci comes as a bit of a shock even though I knew he had been ill for a long time.
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

A much better obituary from The Guardian:

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2018/n ... es-aged-77
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
Precious Doll
Emeritus

R.I.P. Bernardo Bertolucci

Post by Precious Doll »

A man who needs no introduction. Two legendary directors gone within days:

https://variety.com/2018/film/global/be ... 203036077/
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)

Return to “The People”