R.I.P. Jerry Ohlinger

Whether they are behind the camera or in front of it, this is the place to discuss all filmmakers regardless of their role in the filmmaking process.
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

R.I.P. Jerry Ohlinger

Post by Reza »

Spent a lot of time browsing and buying film memorabilia from his shop in Manhattan during the 1980s.

Jerry Ohlinger, Colorful Dealer in Film Memorabilia, Dies at 75
by Lightlynews.com · 11/16/2018

Jerry Ohlinger, the quirky proprietor of a cluttered Manhattan store that has for many years been a compulsory cease for collectors of “Star Wars” posters, pictures of Greta Garbo and all kinds of different film memorabilia, died on Nov. 10 in Manhattan. He was 75.

The trigger was pancreatic most cancers, stated Bill Marlborough, a longtime worker.

Jerry Ohlinger’s Movie Material Store is claimed to be New York’s final movie memorabilia store of a sure kind: an overstuffed place the place clients can come and discuss cinema however would possibly need assistance discovering what they’re after. There was others — Cinemabilia and the Memory Shop, as an illustration — however with a lot of the collectibles commerce shifting on-line, one after one other closed. Mr. Ohlinger held on, downsizing a number of occasions, most not too long ago to the present location, upstairs at 216 West 30th Street.

Over the years he accrued an unlimited assortment of memorabilia, a lot of it warehoused. At the tip of his life he was embroiled in a prolonged authorized dispute over that assortment with a New Jersey couple, Sean Chatoff and Xingling Hu, with whom he had struck an settlement involving storage of and gross sales from the gathering.

The most up-to-date ruling in that dispute, which has been taking part in out in courts in New Jersey and New York, was just some weeks in the past, and the destiny of the gathering stays unclear.

Jerry George Ohlinger was born on June four, 1943, in Manhattan, the place, Mr. Marlborough stated, he lived nearly his whole life in the identical constructing on West 78th Street. His father, Alfred, and mom, Celia Hoffstein, ran a speakeasy at one level, Mr. Marlborough stated.

Mr. Ohlinger’s curiosity in accumulating started early, fueled by journeys along with his father to the film homes on Broadway and 42nd Street. He began somewhat primitively, clipping photos out of magazines.

“I by no means noticed an actual photograph from a movement image till I used to be 10 years previous,” he advised The New Yorker in 2013. The first film nonetheless he bought — for 10 cents — was from “The Three Caballeros,” Disney’s animated 1944 characteristic.

Mr. Marlborough stated Mr. Ohlinger was educated as an accountant and went to work as a bookkeeper for 20th Century Fox in New York. That’s when his childhood ardour took a extra critical flip.

At Fox, Mr. Marlborough stated, “he discovered that folks threw away a whole lot of issues, so he picked them out of the rubbish and began his personal assortment.”

He finally started taking his wares on the street.

“I used to go to a whole lot of the comedian guide conventions, which was the place I actually began to promote stuff,” he advised the web site The Culture Trip. “That was about 1970. Usually I used to be the one individual promoting film memorabilia. I found that individuals who like comics like motion pictures, too.”

Mr. Ohlinger opened his first retailer in 1977, on West Third Street. That was the 12 months that the discharge of 1 explicit film altered the accumulating panorama: “Star Wars.”

Jerry Ohlinger’s Movie Material Store, initially on West Third Street, has moved a number of occasions over time. It moved to this location on West 35th Street in 2004; it’s at present on West 30th Street.

“That modified the enterprise dramatically,” Mr. Ohlinger stated. “People who weren’t usually keen on accumulating film posters or pictures abruptly needed one thing on this title. It was a phenomenon, and it led to an excellent enhance in enterprise.”

In the mid-1980s he moved to an even bigger area on West 14th Street. Business was booming.

“I assume we had a very good status as a result of we had been open seven days per week and had been very busy,” he stated. “On Saturdays we may have as many as eight to 15 folks within the retailer at one time, and on Sundays only some much less. We would wish three folks on the counter again then.”

Mr. Ohlinger was a selected fan of film stills, and had tons of of 1000’s of them.

“You can actually see particulars that you simply don’t see within the movie, as a result of the movie doesn’t pause for you,” he defined to The New Yorker. Also, he stated, most such photographs had been taken not throughout filming (due to concern about shutter noise), however throughout rehearsals, so that they usually caught a singular second barely totally different from what filmgoers noticed.

The man was simply as quirky as the shop.

“I cherished him dearly due to and regardless of all of his peculiarities,” Dollie Banner, a longtime worker, stated by electronic mail. “Your quintessential New York proprietor, but in addition a singular one-of-a-kind character. Thrifty to an absurd diploma, cigar dangling or left perched someplace catching you unawares. The high-pitched voice and even larger snigger. Most gleeful when he may purchase one thing cheaply and promote it for a prime worth, even when he needed to wait a long time to take action.”

By the 1990s the mix of upper rents and competitors from on-line merchants was placing stress on Mr. Ohlinger. He tried to adapt by entering into on-line gross sales himself, however saved the shop open too. After the constructing that housed it modified palms and he was confronted with a close to doubling of his lease, he moved to West 35th Street in 2004. By 2014 that area had additionally turn into too costly, and a spate of articles reported that the shop could be closing.

But Mr. Ohlinger once more confirmed his resilience, opening a smaller operation on West 30th Street, which Mr. Marlborough stated will proceed.

Mr. Ohlinger leaves no quick survivors.

Ms. Banner stated Mr. Ohlinger’s presence all the time made the store greater than only a place to purchase issues.

“I believe a whole lot of clients got here to spend a while speaking to Jerry and never simply to acquire their explicit piece of film memorabilia,” she stated. “His data of film paper was spectacular, masking all types of distribution and printing anomalies, a number of rereleases, and so on. His style in motion pictures was random, very subjective, however he discovered worth in each title, irrespective of the standard.”

Among his many followers was Sam Sarowitz, who owns a really totally different kind of film memorabilia enterprise, Posteritati, in SoHo, the place objects are displayed gallery-style and clients search utilizing a database.

“It’s not fairly the get-your-hands-dirty feeling and discovering one thing on the backside of a field,” Mr. Sarowitz stated in a phone interview. As for the extra madcap retail model of Ohlinger’s, he stated, “There was undoubtedly a attraction to that mannequin.”

Mr. Ohlinger stated clients had been usually keen on a selected star or film or style. He collected the entire vary of them, he stated, however he had no favorites.

“They’re all my kids,” he states.

Return to “The People”