R.I.P. Adrienne Shelley

Whether they are behind the camera or in front of it, this is the place to discuss all filmmakers regardless of their role in the filmmaking process.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

Big Magilla wrote:Maybe I've read too many mysteries, or watched too many TV crime shows, but as soon as I heard this, I knew it was murder. I'm glad they apprehended the periptrator so quickly.
I think you can bet on the story showing up as a Law and Order within the year.

Ghastly story. And she leaves a three-year-old behind.
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

Wow, what a scumbag he is, just punching and murdering a tiny woman like that.

Her husband runs a blog called The Ostroy Report, a liberal political blog. He hasn't posted anything since her murder, but people have been leaving condolences in the comments section.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Maybe I've read too many mysteries, or watched too many TV crime shows, but as soon as I heard this, I knew it was murder. I'm glad they apprehended the periptrator so quickly.
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

Brooklyn Man Charged With Murdering Actress
(CBS/AP) NEW YORK Prosecutors have charged a man with murdering actress Adrienne Shelly, who was found hanging from a shower rod in her West Village office last Wednesday, CBS 2 News has learned. Sources tell CBS 2’s Ti-Hua Chang a construction worker has allegedly confessed to the crime.

Police have charged 19-year-old Diego Pillco, of the 300-block of Prospect Avenue in Brooklyn, with second degree murder.

Sources tell CBS 2’s Ti-Hua Chang that Pillco, a construction worker, apparently confessed to the crime.

Pillco allegedly punched the 5-foot-2 actress after she complained about the noise he was making in the West Village apartment building where her office is located, killing her.

He then allegedly admitted to dragging the body up to her office, and positioning her in the shower to make her death look like a suicide.

The medical examiner's office had not yet ruled whether the death of the petite actress best known for her roles in the Hal Hartley films "Trust" and "The Unbelievable Truth" was a homicide or a suicide.

Police had been hesitant to label the case a suicide after no suicide note was found and sneaker prints that didn't match Shelly's shoes were found in the bathtub.

Shelly, whose birth name was Adrienne Levine, was found by her husband, Andy Ostoy, Wednesday evening hanging from a shower rod in the bathtub of a Greenwich Village apartment which she uses as her office.

Shelly, who was born in Queens and grew up on Long Island, also had a 3-year-old daughter Sophie.
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

I woman I was friends with at the time -- but have since lost contact with -- played her mother in The Unbelievable Truth and said she was a really nice young woman.
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

I like 'Henry Fool'.

Her performance in 'Trust' is a tiny marvel. Just earlier this year, she made a glorified cameo in 'Factotum' and I found myself wondering what she was doing with herself, why she had not grace us with her presence in so many years. This is quite a loss.
"How's the despair?"
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

Jeez!! I finally realized who this is!

I just saw the name and didn't read further. I saw "Trust" in 1990 when it came out and immediately fell in love... with the movie and with Adrienne Shelly. My imagined love affair with Shelly probably ended... oh, likely about two weeks later, but most definitely in 1994 when Karen Silas grabbed the title of Sweetheart of the Indies after I watched "About Last Night..." (My love affair with Hal Hartley films lingered substantially longer until "Henry Fool" put a swift end to it.)

I don't recall Shelley being such a great actress, unfortunately, but "Trust" was a very important film for me at that period in my life.

What a bizarre story this is! And how equally bizarre that essentially no one knows who she is, but her story makes the front page of the New York Times.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

I just read this. This is so sad to me. She was such a unique presence on film and I feel she never got a chance to bloom. And she was in post-production on a movie too.
"How's the despair?"
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

Actress Adrienne Shelly dead in New York
By COLLEEN LONG, Associated Press Writer
Thu Nov 2, 11:35 PM ET

NEW YORK - Adrienne Shelly, an actress best known for her roles in the Hal Hartley films "Trust" and "The Unbelievable Truth," was found dead in her office by her husband, her agent said Thursday.

Shelly was found about 6 p.m. Wednesday. Police said Thursday night that they are awaiting autopsy results before deciding whether to investigate the case as foul play.

An autopsy was performed Thursday, but the medical examiner's office did not have a cause of death.

Shelly, who was 40, appeared as Jerry in the 2005 film "Factotum" with Matt Dillon. She starred as Audry Hugo in the 1989 film "The Unbelievable Truth" and as Maria Coughlin in the 1990 film "Trust." She worked steadily during her career in film, theater and television but later turned to writing and directing, making her directorial debut with "Sudden Manhattan" in 1996.

Shelly was married to Andy Ostroy and had a 3-year-old named Sophie, according to her agent of about a decade, Rachel Sheedy. Ostroy is not in the movie business.

Born Adrienne Levine in Queens and raised on Long Island, Shelly lived in lower Manhattan with her family and had been focusing more lately on writing, directing and caring for her daughter, Sheedy said.

Shelly recently wrote and directed a film called "Waitress," which starred Keri Russell and Nathan Fillion.

"She was so psyched about the film," Sheedy said. "She gathered an amazing cast, and she was really happy and excited to hear back from Sundance about it."

Return to “The People”