R.I.P. Burt Reynolds

Whether they are behind the camera or in front of it, this is the place to discuss all filmmakers regardless of their role in the filmmaking process.
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Re: R.I.P. Burt Reynolds

Post by Reza »

So sorry, Miguel.

May she RIP.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Sorry for your loss, Miguel.
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

mlrg wrote:
Precious Doll wrote:However, the nature of cardiac arrest is usually sudden, fatal and unpredictable.
My mother passed away due to a cardiac arrest while shopping at her usual grocery store just three weeks ago. So yes, it's sudden, fatal and unpredictable. She was one week away of turning 75.
I'm so sorry for your loss mlrg.

A very good and longtime work friend of mine passed away from cardiac arrest in 2014 shortly after turning 52. A day hardly goes by when I don't think of her. To make matters even more tragic her identical twin sister also worked at the same organisation that she worked, though we all worked in different areas. Her sister was off work for more than 12 months - its a long and heartbreaking story.
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
mlrg
Associate

Post by mlrg »

Precious Doll wrote:However, the nature of cardiac arrest is usually sudden, fatal and unpredictable.
My mother passed away due to a cardiac arrest while shopping at her usual grocery store just three weeks ago. So yes, it's sudden, fatal and unpredictable. She was one week away of turning 75.
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

Big Magilla wrote:I had read all the stories about his declining health, but I thought he still had a few more years left in him especially in light of his carting in the Tarantino film.
When I posted the link I didn't know what to add because it was something of a shock. Like most people I was aware of his declining health but only days ago I noticed he had been cast in the upcoming Tarantino film and had other films in pre-production so I assumes all was relatively well. However, the nature of cardiac arrest is usually sudden, fatal and unpredictable.

When I fell under the spell of cinema in the 1970's Burt Reynolds was one of the biggest stars in the world. I saw most of his work from that period at the time with the exception of Smokey and the Bandit (1977) - probably his biggest hit of the 1970s. I finally caught up with that film on home video about six years after its initial release and immediately understood why it was so successful - just sheer entertainment all the way.

It was during this period that I also saw a lot of his earlier films with Deliverance being the standout. He also showed his funny side in Woody Allen's Everything You Always Wanted.........

I can't say I was ever a fan of Burt Reynolds but his certainly had charisma and an aura of star quality about him. I guess too many critical/commercial bombs as the 1980's progressed turned him into something of a has-been by the 1990s but I don't think he ever stopped working.

He was great in Boogie Nights, which I'm sure everyone knows he hated, and it earned him his only Oscar nomination. Speaking of Oscar nominations I recall reading at the time (1980) that his co-stars of Starting Over (Jill Clayburgh & Candice Bergen) were nominated for Oscars that Reynolds was very disappointed at being overlooked which is completely understandable. He certainly showed more range in Starting Over that everything else he did around that time.

I've always wondered if his famous nude posing for Cosmopolitan did his career more good than harm. It was probably great publicity and gave him widespread public exposure (no pun intended) but it may have also led to people thinking of him as lightweight to some degree.

In less than 24 hours since news of his passing much has been written in the media but the most moving tribute I have read is from Hadley Freeman of The Guardian:

https://www.google.com/url?q=https://ww ... lY2WEkjRh2
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

I had read all the stories about his declining health, but I thought he still had a few more years left in him especially in light of his carting in the Tarantino film.
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Reynolds would have been a better choice than Tyson for an honorary Oscar. He was a major boxoffice star and appeared in a variety of roles. He was memorable in Deliverance, charming in the Bandit films, held himself capably opposite many top leading female stars and came very close to winning an Oscar for Boogie Nights.

R.I.P.
Precious Doll
Emeritus

R.I.P. Burt Reynolds

Post by Precious Doll »

Return to “The People”