Don't read this, Damien

Whether they are behind the camera or in front of it, this is the place to discuss all filmmakers regardless of their role in the filmmaking process.
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

Reza wrote:Shades of the Ethan and Uma split!!!
Except in that case, the wife was the biggest slut since the Whore of Babylon.
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Shades of the Ethan and Uma split!!!
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

More Infornation (from MSNBC):

REESE AND RYAN: WAS THERE ANOTHER WOMAN?
Phillippe reportedly had a fling with ‘Stop Loss’ co-star Abbie Cornish

LOS ANGELES - To say that people were shocked by Reese Witherspoon and Ryan Phillippe’s sudden split would be an understatement.

But today, we find out what (or who) may have caused the breakup.

Just two weeks ago, Reese accompanied Ryan to his screening for “Flags of Our Fathers” in New York, where the couple reportedly fought bitterly at the after party.

Sadly, explosive new details are surfacing about Reese and Ryan’s troubled marriage, including reports of an alleged affair between Ryan and a young actress.

“Ryan did not go out of his way to hide the fact that he was having a fling with his co-star Abbie Cornish,” said Us Weekly’s Katrina Szish. “Besides the fact they were spotted making out in a sushi restaurant together, she was spotted many times leaving his loft apartment.”

According to Us Weekly, Ryan’s alleged affair with Cornish, a 24-year-old Australian actress, was common knowledge around Austin, Texas where the two were shooting the new film “Stop Loss.”

Abbie’s rep denies the affair and both Reese and Ryan’s people had no comment.

“Reese came across pictures of Ryan and Abbie together and she immediately confronted Ryan. He admitted having an affair. He said all of the rumors were true and said let’s just end this now,” Szish told Access Hollywood.

Abbie, who some say actually resembles Reese, is an actress on the rise. She can be seen opposite Russell Crowe in the romantic comedy “A Good Year,” which hits theaters next week, and opposite Heath Ledger in the sexual drama “Candy” which opens November 17th.

Reese and Ryan, who have a 7-year-old daughter and a 3-year-old son, have been plagued by rumors of problems before. Just days after Reese’s big Oscar win in March, tabloids were reporting their marriage was in crisis.

“Reese has been holding onto this marriage for dear life, primarily because she loves her children,” Szish added.

Ironically, five out of the last eight best-actress Oscar winners split from their partners shortly after their big win.

This includes Hilary Swank, Halle Berry and Julia Roberts

Both Reese and Ryan have publicly admitted to receiving marriage counseling in the past.

“I don’t think there should be a social stigma attached to having therapy,” Reese told Access Hollywood in 2002. “It’s self improvement.”

In 1998, Access asked Reese if it was easier dating a fellow actor.

“I don’t know, all I can say is it’s great to be with Ryan. He understands me and I think that’s all you can ever ask for in a relationship,” she told us.
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Could it be the Oscar curse? First Hillary and now Reese. I'm sure a mature Taylor Hackford will not split from Helen Mirren after she wins the award next year.
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

Call me a sentimental sap, but this makes me sad:

From TMZ:

REESE WITHERSPOON AND RYAN PHILLIPPE SLIT
Oct 30th 2006 1:40PM
Filed under: Break-Ups

Reese Witherspoon and Ryan Phillippe have separated. The couple's rep released a statement to TMZ Monday morning that says "We are saddened to announce that Reese & Ryan have decided to formally separate. They remain committed to their family and we ask that you please respect their privacy and the safety of their children at this time."

Sources tell TMZ Witherspoon has contacted celebrity divorce lawyer Robert Kaufman, who has represented Jennifer Aniston, Roseanne and Lisa Marie Presley.

Sources say Witherspoon spoke with Kaufman about divorcing Ryan Phillippe, her husband of seven years. The couple has two children. They met at Witherspoon's 21st birthday party.

As for why Witherspoon contacted Kaufman, we're told it was not triggered by one event. Rather, one connected source says it was "cumulative."

Divorce papers have not yet been filed.
99-1100896887

Post by 99-1100896887 »

Damien: Maybe Hilary works out at the same gym that Uma does!
Cam
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

Wow, Swank really turned out to be a [insert expletive of your choice] on wheels, didn't she? How dare she taint his reputation like this. He's really going to have trouble finding work now.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Poor guy. He must've been just a little bit depressed about his career. The only role I saw him take up lately was playing Norman Maine to Hilary's Esther Blodgett/Vicki Lester.

Swank Cites Lowe's 'Substance Abuse'
Jul 5, 12:35 PM EST

The Associated Press

NEW YORK -- Hilary Swank, who is divorcing actor-husband Chad Lowe, says Lowe's "substance-abuse problem" was partly responsible for the breakup of their marriage, in an interview with Vanity Fair magazine.

"I knew something was happening, but I didn't know what," the Oscar-winning actress tells the magazine in its August issue. "When I found out, it was such a shock because I never thought he'd keep something from me. And yet, on another level, it was a confirmation of something I was feeling that was keeping us from being completely solid."

Swank, 31, says Lowe is "sober now."

"It's an enormous obstacle to overcome, and he's doing it. He's living a sober life. I know how difficult it is, and I'm really proud of his sobriety," she tells the magazine.

A call by The Associated Press to Lowe's agent, David Rose, was not immediately returned Wednesday.

In May, an attorney for the couple confirmed to the AP that Swank and Lowe would divorce after eight years of marriage. The couple had announced their separation in January.

Swank tells Vanity Fair that Lowe's problem did not directly cause their split. "Would I say that his substance-abuse problem helped us? Absolutely not. ... I would say we grew apart."

Swank and Lowe, 38, who have no children, were married in 1997.

She famously forgot to thank a tearful Lowe while accepting her best actress Oscar in 2000 for "Boys Don't Cry." Last year, she won again for "Million Dollar Baby" — this time, thanking Lowe.

Lowe, who is the brother of actor Rob Lowe, won an Emmy Award in 1993 for his portrayal of AIDS patient Jesse McKenna on the TV series "Life Goes On."

Swank says she initiated the divorce, but "it ended up being mutual."

"It takes two to make something work or not work," she says. "I make mistakes; I'm not some squeaky-clean person here."

Swank says she's not ready to start dating again.

"The thought of it — of that whole world — I can't imagine it! That is not a world I've even thought about entering.

I can't imagine going out right now and trying to find someone else to be with. It seems like a scary place. I've been with Chad since I was 18 years old."
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

From the Real Estate scetion of today's New York Times:
Hollywood Couple Selling Town House

The West Village town house of the actress Hilary Swank and her husband, the actor-director Chad Lowe, has come on the market with an asking price of $8.25 million.

The couple bought the four-story, 17-foot-wide town house on Charles Street for $3.9 million in 2002. The house, which Ms. Swank and Mr. Lowe renovated, has six fireplaces, two full bathrooms and two half baths, in about 4,000 square feet.

The listing comes after the couple announced plans to divorce. The listing broker, Michael Bolla, said he could not discuss the property.
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Damien wrote:Damn. Call me a hopeless romantic but I was convinced they'd work it out.
It was obvious from the word go that they would end up divorced. I feel that in a hetrosexual relationship if the woman fawns over the man the relationship will succeed. In their case it was Lowe who appeared to be more enamoured of Swank - a deadly edge to a relationship. The disparity in their careers was also probably too much of a cross to bear for Lowe.
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

Damn. Call me a hopeless romantic but I was convinced they'd work it out.
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

Reza wrote:The Oscar curse???
Personally, I was hoping for something more along the lines of Luise Rainer.
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

The Oscar curse???
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

I was hoping they'd work it out, but no:

----------------------------
NEW YORK - Two-time Oscar winner
Hilary Swank will file for divorce from actor-husband
Chad Lowe, People magazine reports.
ADVERTISEMENT

"Hilary Swank and Chad Lowe have jointly decided to divorce," an attorney for the couple, Jeffrey A. Bernstein, told the magazine in a story posted on its Web site Friday. "They continue to be friends and have the utmost respect for one another."

Bernstein confirmed to The Associated Press that the couple would divorce, but declined to elaborate on the reason for the split or specify when court papers will be filed.

A spokesman at Innovative Artists, the agency that represents Lowe, said there was no comment from the actor.

A call to Swank's manager, Troy Nankin, was not immediately returned Friday.

Swank, 31, and Lowe, 38, who have no children, announced they were separating in January after eight years of marriage. At the time, the couple appeared to retain some hope of reuniting.

"Hilary and Chad have decided to separate, but they are hopeful they'll be able to get through this tough time," Nankin then said in a statement.

Swank famously forgot to thank a tearful Lowe while accepting her best actress Oscar in 2000 for "Boys Don't Cry." Last year, Swank won again for "Million Dollar Baby" — this time, thanking Lowe.

She will next star in "The Black Dahlia," Brian De Palma's adaptation of James Ellroy's novel.

Lowe, who is the brother of actor Rob Lowe, won an Emmy Award for his portrayal of AIDS patient Jesse McKenna on the TV series "Life Goes On" in 1993.
Franz Ferdinand
Adjunct

Post by Franz Ferdinand »

Don't any celebrity marriages last these days? Those two seemed geniunely in love, could it have been Hilary's second Best Actress statue in five years? Too soon for Chad maybe? No time for kids?

Return to “The People”