R.I.P. Daryl Duke

Whether they are behind the camera or in front of it, this is the place to discuss all filmmakers regardless of their role in the filmmaking process.
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

Payday was something that I had wanted to see for years. I remember it being released in my part of the world during the early 1980's and I stupidly didn't go and see it.

I got sick of waiting for a DVD release and purchased a VHS copy a couple of years ago from Amazon. I was somewhat disappointed with the film. It's similar in style to better films like Wanda & Goin' Down the Road which were made around the same time.

I then sold the film on the second hand market.

I don't want to put anyone off setting it as I beleive that people need to see things for themselves. I noticed that there are some cheap second hand VHS copies selling through Amazon which you should consider if you get sick of waiting for a DVD release.
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

Tee, whenever I hear the name "Daryl Duke" I, too, immediately think of Payday, which i, too, have never seen. The favorable critical response to that picture made it seemed that Duke would emerge as a leading director in the 70s, but for whatever reason it never happened. I was surpeised he was so old; I always assumed that, given the timfre of that period, Payday was directed by someone in his 20s or early 30s.

Wow, the Les Crane Show -- now there's a forgotten 60s icon (and married to Tina Louise at the time).
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

They don't even mention the credit that came to mind immediately for me: his 1973 film Payday, which was a sleeper critical favorite, one I've been seeking to view for three decades.
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Thorn Birds director Daryl Duke dies
Mon Oct 23, 2:50 PM

Daryl Duke, who directed the popular 1983 miniseries The Thorn Birds, has died at age 77 while at home in Vancouver.

Duke's family announced Sunday the Vancouver native passed away Saturday after a battle with pulmonary fibrosis.

A family statement released on Duke's website hailed him as a magnanimous and generous human being [who] always asserted his excellent opinions, beliefs and sense of humour on any matter whether business or personal, from which we all benefited.

In his 50-year career, Duke produced and directed dramas, documentaries, variety programs and classical music series.

He won an Emmy Award in 1971 for The Day The Lion Died, an episode of NBC's The Senator television series starring Hal Holbrook. Other awards include a Genie, then known as the Canadian Film Awards, for best film for The Silent Partner (1978) starring Elliott Gould, Christopher Plummer and Susannah York.

He garnered Emmy and Directors Guild nods for The Thorn Birds, starring Richard Chamberlain and Rachel Ward. The nine-part series was the second-highest-rated miniseries on American television at the time, behind Roots.

A graduate of the University of British Columbia, Duke began his career as a film editor and writer for the National Film Board of Canada before moving on to the CBC in 1953, directing a wide variety of programs in Vancouver.

Directed current affairs, dramas

Duke made his mark at the CBC as producer and director of the documentary series Close-Up and Explorations. Close-Up featured profiles of authors, political leaders and philosophers.

He also produced episodes of the acclaimed current affairs show This Hour Has Seven Days as well as dramas such as Wojeck and Quentin Durgens, MP.

Duke crossed the border often to direct in the U.S. In 1964, he produced both The Steve Allen Show in Hollywood and The Les Crane Show in New York.

He went on to helm a major motion picture in 1985, Tai-Pan, based on a novel by James Clavell. According to Duke's website, it was the first Western feature film to be shot in China. It starred Joan Chen and Bryan Brown.

In the mid-1970s, he founded the independent television station CKVU-TV in Vancouver and became the station's first president and CEO. He sold his ownership in the station in 1988.

Duke was inducted into the Canadian Association of Broadcasters Hall of Fame in 2000 and three years later, the Directors Guild of Canada bestowed a lifetime achievement award. In 2004, he received a doctorate from B.C.’s Simon Fraser University and a John Drainie Award from ACTRA (the Alliance of Canadian Cinema, Television and Radio Artists), for his contributions to broadcasting.

Duke is survived by his wife, two sons, a stepson and nine grandchildren.

Return to “The People”