R.I.P. Anna Russell

Whether they are behind the camera or in front of it, this is the place to discuss all filmmakers regardless of their role in the filmmaking process.
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

I had no idea she was still alive. One of my best memories of high school is my Music Appreciation teacher (a monk) playing old Anna Russell LPs for us. Just the thought of her singing a olde English folk song -- "My love gave me a cherry without a pit; He gave me a pair of shoes that did not fit" -- or her "Iphigonia In Brooklyn" makes me laugh over 30 years later.

A wonderful, unique talent!
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
99-1100896887

Post by 99-1100896887 »

Canada's Anna Russell died Thursday at age 94, in Australia. She studied to be an opera singer, but had a disastrous short career. Her first break came when the director of the Toronto Symphony at the time, Sir Ernest Macmillan invited her to appear as soloist, and she had the house in stitches.
Her best known monologue was a hilarious " explanation" of Wagner's Ring Cycle. The classic 50s recording is still available on CD, and worth listening to. She was an early Dame Edna, without the double-entendres, and the flamboyance of the Dame.
If you like Ruth Draper's or Joyce Grenfell's monologues you will love Russell.

Return to “The People”