Mel Gibson Busted - Where's Your God Now?

Whether they are behind the camera or in front of it, this is the place to discuss all filmmakers regardless of their role in the filmmaking process.
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

No, he's not busted again! This is just a continuation of the initial arrest story.

Gibson Takes Redemption Tour to 'Good Morning America'

Oct 6, 7:19 PM (ET)
By SANDY COHEN

LOS ANGELES (AP) - Mel Gibson's redemption tour is heading to TV. The embattled 50-year-old actor-director, whose high-profile drunken-driving arrest and subsequent anti-Semitic tirade made international headlines over the summer, is set to appear on "Good Morning America" next week.

This follows other efforts by Gibson to mend his personal and professional life, including participating in a recovery program, attending court-ordered alcohol-rehabilitation classes and meeting privately with Jewish leaders to understand the source of his "vicious words," as he described them.

These steps will be followed by the Dec. 8 Disney release of Gibson's new film, "Apocalypto."

Gibson spoke with Diane Sawyer somewhere in Southern California recently for a two-part TV interview scheduled to air on Disney-owned ABC's "Good Morning America" on Oct. 12 and 13. This is the first time he has talked to the media since his arrest.

The interview "will be a segment in the show," said ABC news spokeswoman Bridgette Maney. "It's not going to be the entire 'Good Morning America'."

As for what to expect during the discussion, Gibson's publicist, Alan Nierob, would only say, "We'll have to wait and see."

Gibson has made few public appearances since his July 28 arrest in Malibu, when he told the arresting officer: "The Jews are responsible for all the wars in the world," and asked him, "Are you a Jew?" He also made sexist comments to a female deputy. Gibson later apologized for what he called "vitriolic and harmful words."

Media outlets have clamored for access to the "Lethal Weapon" actor since his arrest. Maney would not address the significance to the show of the interview or how it was secured. Sawyer interviewed Gibson in 2004 about his controversial movie "The Passion of the Christ."

Gibson quietly stepped back into the public eye late last month. He attended two screenings of his new movie in Oklahoma on Sept. 21 and 22. He arrived at the first wearing a mask and wig. He did not speak to reporters.

The actor-director also appeared at a film festival in Austin, Texas, on Sept. 22 where he showed footage from "Apocalypto." He answered questions from fans, who did not ask about his arrest or recovery.

Disney spokesman Dennis Rice would not offer specifics about Gibson's or the studio's plans to market the movie, which chronicles the decline of the Mayan civilization. The subtitled film features a cast of unknown stars speaking in an ancient Mayan language.

"We look at each movie on its own merits and devise a plan from the ground up," he said. "Hopefully it is the best plan that will maximize the opportunity of each picture, and 'Apocalypto' is no different."

Some have criticized Gibson, who issued two apologies for his conduct following his arrest, for not doing more outreach toward the Jewish community - especially in light of his recent promotional appearances.

"You would think that he would also find time to say that he wants to address his terrible statements," Rabbi Marvin Hier, dean of the Simon Wiesenthal Center in Los Angeles, told The Associated Press this week. "His remarks were so anti-Semitic and so hurtful to Jews. You can't make amends for that by talking on the phone to 12 Jews you know from Hollywood."

Nierob said Gibson has met privately with several Jewish leaders, who have been "welcoming and supportive."

Veteran Hollywood publicist David Brokaw said that if Gibson is "really convincing and engaging" during the Sawyer interview, "he could turn it around."

"Mel Gibson, in some form or another, will always be a big star," Brokaw said. "The question is how prophylactic he can or should be about what's happened."

Gibson pleaded no contest to charges of drunken driving on Aug. 17 under a deal in which he'll serve three years' probation, pay a fine and attend alcohol rehabilitation classes. He also volunteered to make a public-service announcement about the hazards of drinking and driving.

He is scheduled to appear in court Jan. 17 for a progress report.

---
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
kaytodd
Assistant

Post by kaytodd »

Damien wrote:
kaytodd wrote:One of the father's relatives asked him to move to Australia to work in a family business.

I had always heard that Pop had moved the family out of America to protect his son (s?) from the draft during the Vietnam War.
That may have beed the real reason for the move to Australia, but the documentary (which I saw about ten years ago) gave the "family business" reason. But I would not be surprised if the father was a hypocrite as well as a hatemonger.

But, Australia was a U.S. ally in Vietnam and a lot of young Australian men served in active duty in Vietnam. I guess the father could have been an uninformed dummy as well (despite his success on Jeopardy).
The great thing in the world is not so much where we stand, as in what direction we are moving. It's faith in something and enthusiasm for something that makes a life worth living. Oliver Wendell Holmes
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

kaytodd wrote:One of the father's relatives asked him to move to Australia to work in a family business.
I had always heard that Pop had moved the family out of America to protect his son (s?) from the draft during the Vietnam War.
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

Director Mel Gibson has finally merited a comparison with Orson Welles.

He'll now have to make a living doing wine commercials. At least he has qualifications.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
kaytodd
Assistant

Post by kaytodd »

I was always a fan of Mel Gibson on the screen, but I always thought there was something a little off about him personally. Several years ago, I was watching a show like Biography about him and heard some strange things that may partly expain his personality.

I was unaware until I saw that show that Gibson was born and raised in the U.S., for I always assumed he was a native Aussie. He lived in upstate New York (Poughkipsie, I believe) until he was 11 or 12. He is of Irish descent. His father (who was known even then to be outspoken with views that were out there) was working for a railroad company when he suffered a serious work related back injury and was unable to return to that job. He received a large financial settlement from his employer (railroad workers, like maritime workers, can collect pain and suffering along with lost wages and medical bills when they are injured on the job). One of the father's relatives asked him to move to Australia to work in a family business.

So Mel, at the vulnerable age when a boy is first entering adolescence, was moved to the other side of the world by a father who is overbearing and outspoken. His father is also apparently well read and intelligent. He helped finance the move by going on Jeopardy and winning around $26,0000.00. For a long time, he was one of the top winners in the show's history.

One thing from the documentary that raised my eyebrows were film clips from TV commercials and soap operas Mel made when he was 18 or 19 and starting his acting career. He had an Austrailian accent so thick that it was difficult for me to understand. But he had lived in the U.S. until just a few years earlier. The only explanation is that Mel decided to work on his Aussie accent. I was picturing this young boy uprooted from his home to the other side of the world and working at fitting in at his new home.

I guess I am inclined to be more charitable toward Mel than many on this board. None of the above justifies or is even a good explanation for many of the hateful things he has said about gays and Jews. But that story and some of his professional choices (for example, making a film like "Passion" with money from his own pocket and following it with a film about the Maya) makes him one of the more interesting figures in the film business.
The great thing in the world is not so much where we stand, as in what direction we are moving. It's faith in something and enthusiasm for something that makes a life worth living. Oliver Wendell Holmes
Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

In spite of the fact that Gibson´s father is a schmok, I don´t like to conect that unhappy episode with his ideological tendencies. Nolte had had a similar episode some time ago and that single fact didn´t affect the opinion that I had on him.
Quoting myself, and regarding Gibson his fake regrets are not going to change the unmistakable reactionary and fachist profile that he has.
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

criddic3 wrote:( if Michael Medved's article is truthful)
LMAO.

That was a good one, criddic. You really know how to brighten one's day with a laugh . . .
criddic3
Tenured

Post by criddic3 »

I think this has a lot to do with the kinds of things Mr. Gibson must have heard from his father through the years growing up. Drinking hard must bring some of that out. This is a highly psychological theory, but it fits. I don't know that Mel Gibson actually believes his own anti-semetic rant, but at least he admits he was wrong to do what he did.

Apart from this questionable and unflattering behavior, this is a terrific film maker, who shouldn't be kicked off the Hollywood stage for making a mistake or two. I mean, if he went on a talk show sober and denied the Holocaust, then haul him away certainly. But I'm going to try to be fair and give him a chance to make amends, as he has said he wants to do ( if Michael Medved's article is truthful) and I'll probably see his next film this year.

The guy needs help, is all.
"Because here’s the thing about life: There’s no accounting for what fate will deal you. Some days when you need a hand. There are other days when we’re called to lend a hand." -- President Joe Biden, 01/20/2021
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

(...from an internet cafe in Prague...)

But the anti-gay diatribe points out a double standard that seems to be at work here: Hollywood not only looked the other way when Mel dissed us gays, but then turned around and actually gave him an Oscar for a film with an anti-gay subplot; now, however, it seems as though the industry has mostly put Mel off at a distance. And given the situation in the Middle East right now, his statements are making a stronger impact. Personally, I do hope this is the end of Mel, but it probably won't be.
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Here's Liz Smith's take:

Daily Variety is after the Mel Gibson-Lindsay Lohan misbehaviors over last weekend, and their take is that the movie biz is bracing for a backlash from such star gaffes. Pul-eeze! Lindsay is a 20-year-old. Enough said. As for Mel, I almost always believe everything Variety tells me, but this time I just don't agree. By the time Mel's "foreign language" epic "Apocalypto" is released in December (it's about early Mayan culture, torture and death), everybody will have forgotten that the Oscar-winning director allegedly got drunk, drove a car, behaved badly and made anti-Semitic and sexist remarks. (Calling somebody "Sugar Tits" is high drama, I think! It sounds like modern movie dialogue where life ain't so politically correct.) And Mel is already ahead with his mug shot. No terrified drag queen, a la Michael Jackson, or hair-on-end unrecognizable Nick Nolte, or even an exhausted, unhappy Hugh Grant. Nope, there is Mel, with a winsome little smile and one lock of hair fetchingly out of place.

Americans have short-term memories for bad behavior. Some years ago, long before "The Passion of the Christ" became a controversy, this column quoted remarks made by Mel in Australia, reprinted in a Spanish magazine. At that time, he was attacking homosexuals with a vengeance. The Gibson camp then firmed up its defense and said I should never have repeated such comments because, after all - they'd been said in Australia! (I suppose there are no gay people in Australia to take offense, and the rest of the world should close its ears and ignore Mel's outburst.) Did this revelation ruin Mr. Gibson? Are you kidding? He went on to greater glory.
kaytodd
Assistant

Post by kaytodd »

Mel is a strange bird with some distasteful views. But I am still looking forward to Apocalypto. He could have done anything he wanted after his financial windfall from "Passion." It is interesting he chose to make a film about a culture that has been almost never been portrayed in films (off the top of my head, I cannot think of a film about the Maya.). I am looking forward to this one as much as I was "Passion", which I liked.

My overall opinion of him diminishes almost every time he opens his mouth in public. But I liked how he decided to go it alone and risk a significant chunk of his fortune (he is rich but I don't think he is rich enough to just piss away 20-25 million) when he could find nobody to back "Passion." And it made me feel good when it paid off for him.

Good thing for him the release date has been moved to December. Once again, he made very bad publicity for himself.
Greg
Tenured

Post by Greg »

Actually, even if Hollywood shuns Gibson, I don't think it will make any difference to his career. He can personally bankroll his own move, as he did The Passion Of The Christ; and, even if theaters won't show it, he can sell DVD's over the Internet. He's not any more of a nutjob than Rush Limbaugh and Bill O'Reilly and they still have careers.
Eric
Tenured

Post by Eric »

Or when the gay is bigoted towards straights.
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

cam wrote:Gay AND bigot?....I thought they were polar opposites!

There was a discussion last night on Canadian television about the event, and some did mention Nick Nolte's "rehabilitation", but the general opinion of the five was that"this" will be gone in people's minds "in a year". End of discussion by them.

I disagree totally, it would be folly to be overtly Anti - Semitic in his business and agree with Okri.
A difference is that Nick Nolte did not engage in outrageous hate speech when he was hauled in. Plus, Nolte has always been a cool guy who has been very respected by critics -- hell, he started his career in lefty and fringe theatre like La Mama in the 60s. And unlike Gibson, he's never held himself as some sort of moral beacon.

I would say that lthe Anti-Semite-With-Stubby-Little-Legs Mel Gibson's having a flourishing career hereon in is just slightly more likely than Robert Blake starring in a festure called. "The Return of Baretta" or one of the stars of Capricorn One ever stepping on a soundstage again: "Ready for your close-up, Mr. Simpson?"

cam, gay and bigot are mutually exclusive except when the queer in question is a self-hating closet case.
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
99-1100896887

Post by 99-1100896887 »

Gay AND bigot?....I thought they were polar opposites!

There was a discussion last night on Canadian television about the event, and some did mention Nick Nolte's "rehabilitation", but the general opinion of the five was that"this" will be gone in people's minds "in a year". End of discussion by them.

I disagree totally, it would be folly to be overtly Anti - Semitic in his business and agree with Okri.

I sort of meant my flip remark about him running for Congress.
Hell, don't run: be "appointed" to Vice-President. It wouldn't be the first time that that had ever been done.

His career is finished. And Okri, he SHOULD have been shunned after Bird On A Wire and the like, including the worst pick ever for Best Film Oscar. It's nice that he has one, as it is the last he'll ever get.

Return to “The People”