Mel Gibson Busted - Where's Your God Now?

Whether they are behind the camera or in front of it, this is the place to discuss all filmmakers regardless of their role in the filmmaking process.
Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

I wonder if this includes his (internalized) homophobia.
I´ve heard he was gay.
Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

From tvguide.com

Personally, I would have drummed Mel Gibson outta Hollywood years ago for making Bird on a Wire. But now that he's supposedly made anti-Semitic remarks while being arrested on suspicion of a DUI, Tinseltown power player Ari Emanuel agrees with me. "People in the entertainment community, whether Jew or Gentile," the agent wrote on HuffingtonPost.com, "need to demonstrate that they understand how much is at stake in this by professionally shunning Mel Gibson and refusing to work with him, even if it means a sacrifice to their bottom line." Already, ABC is on board with the boycott: According to the Wall Street Journal, the network has abruptly canceled the miniseries it was making with Gibson about a pair of lovers during — I kid you not — the Holocaust.
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

Eric wrote:"Hatred of any kind goes against my faith," Gibson said.
I wonder if this includes his (internalized) homophobia.
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
Eric
Tenured

Post by Eric »

From the AP wire:

Gibson admits making anti-Semitic remarks, asks for help from Jewish community
By SANDY COHEN
AP Entertainment Writer

LOS ANGELES (AP) -- Mel Gibson admitted making anti-Semitic remarks during his drunken driving arrest and asked members of the Jewish community Tuesday to help him recover from his alcohol addiction.

In a statement issued through his publicist, the actor-director asked to meet with Jewish leaders "with whom I can have a one-on-one discussion to discern the appropriate path for healing."

"There is no excuse, nor should there be any tolerance, for anyone who thinks or expresses any kind of anti-Semitic remark," Gibson, 50, said in the statement, which directs an apology to "everyone in the Jewish community."

"Please know from my heart that I am not an anti-Semite. I am not a bigot. Hatred of any kind goes against my faith," Gibson said.

Gibson was arrested in Malibu early Friday.

(Copyright 2006 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)
Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

In spite of the fact that Gibson´s father is a schmok, I don´t like to conect that unhappy episode with his ideological tendencies. Nolte had had a similar episode some time ago and that single fact didn´t affect the opinion that I had on him.
99-1100896887

Post by 99-1100896887 »

More...
On Global-TV(Canada) tonight, under the heading" Gibson Cover-Up", there was mention that the American media was referring to the fact that Gibson was arrested "without incident", but quoted the site that Anonymous gave us. In this morning's paper there was an allegation that his father, when interviewed, did not believe that the Holocaust occurred. Another loony...
99-1100896887

Post by 99-1100896887 »

That's it for Mel. BUT--he could always run for Congress.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

Then again, maybe we have corroboration from the man himself -- "said things I do not believe to be true and which are despicable". Wow -- is he screwed.

From Hollywood Reporter

Statement from Mel Gibson re DUI arrest July 29, 2006

"After drinking alcohol on Thursday night, I did a number of things that were very wrong and for which I am ashamed. I drove a car when I should not have, and was stopped by the LA County Sheriffs. The arresting officer was just doing his job and I feel fortunate that I was apprehended before I caused injury to any other person. I acted like a person completely out of control when I was arrested, and said things that I do not believe to be true and which are despicable. I am deeply ashamed of everything I said. Also, I take this opportunity to apologize to the deputies involved for my belligerent behavior. They have always been there for me in my community and indeed probably saved me from myself. I disgraced myself and my family with my behavior and for that I am truly sorry. I have battled with the disease of alcoholism for all of my adult life and profoundly regret my horrific relapse. I apologize for any behavior unbecoming of me in my inebriated state and have already taken necessary steps to ensure my return to health"
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

I have much the same feeling for Gibson that many do here, but I have to say I find this whole "screaming anti-Semitic slurs" story to be a little too neat for me to believe without significant corroboration. He's in plenty of trouble for his reckless driving and belligerent attitude toward the police; for him to additionally play so perfectly into his loathers' stereotype of him strikes me as rather convenient. If none of it was recorded, my guess is alot of people decline to believe it.

Anyway, isn't this website the one I just heard about on Olbermann as a relentless pesterer of celebrities? I'm not going to suddenly declare them an unimpeachable source just because they go after someone I don't like.
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

anonymous wrote:It gets worse, Damien.
Actually, Irvin I would say that this is better, not worse. Maybe the incident will destroy whatever credibility the stubby-little-legged pig has.
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Mel's religion tells him to avoid using condoms - hence his brood of kids. However, doesn't this religion tell him anything about excessive drinking or abusing?
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

Too much Communion wine?
=======================
From the San Francisco Chronicle:

GIBSON ARRESTED FOR INVESTIGATION OF DUI
Friday, July 28, 2006

Mel Gibson was arrested early Friday for suspicion of driving under the influence, a Sheriff's Department spokesman said.

Gibson's vehicle was speeding eastbound on the Pacific Coast Highway when officers stopped him at 2:36 a.m., Sheriff's spokesman Steve Whitmore said.

Gibson, 50, was booked at the Lost Hills Sheriff's station at 4:06 a.m., according to department records. The actor-director was cited and released, Whitmore said. Bail was set at $5,000.

"The investigation is ongoing," Whitmore said. "As we would do with anyone, we don't want to release any more since the information is fragmentary."

Gibson's spokesman, Alan Nierob, said he was looking into the matter.

Gibson won a best-director Oscar for 1995's "Braveheart."

Like his 2004 religious blockbuster, "The Passion of the Christ," which was shot in Aramaic and Latin, his new film, "Apocalypto," was done in an ancient tongue, Yucatec Maya.

Gibson has starred in the "Lethal Weapon" and "Mad Max" films, "What Women Want" and "The Man Without a Face," among other movies.

Return to “The People”