R.I.P. Tom Bell

Whether they are behind the camera or in front of it, this is the place to discuss all filmmakers regardless of their role in the filmmaking process.
rudeboy
Adjunct

Post by rudeboy »

No, I had no idea he was that old. A terrific, underrated character actor.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Another shocker. I was just watching him the other day in The L-Shaped Room opposite Leslie Caron. I didn't realize he was 73.
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

BBC Online - 10/5/06

Prime Suspect actor Tom Bell dies
Veteran actor Tom Bell, whose many film and TV roles included a Bafta-nominated performance in drama series Prime Suspect, has died aged 73.

He died in hospital following a short illness, the actor's agent said.

Bell appeared opposite Dame Helen Mirren in the first three series of Prime Suspect, and returns in the seventh being shown on ITV1 next month.

He earned a 1979 Bafta TV nomination for Out, and played Jack "The Hat" McVitie in the 1990 film The Krays.

Bell played Detective Sergeant Bill Otley in Prime Suspect, a sexist officer who clashed with Dame Helen's character Jane Tennison.

He also appeared in films including Wish You Were Here, Prospero's Books and Swing.

An ITV1 spokeswoman said: "We are greatly saddened by the news of Tom's death and extend our deepest sympathies to his family."

Bell is survived by a son and two daughters.

Return to “The People”