R.I.P. John Mahoney

Whether they are behind the camera or in front of it, this is the place to discuss all filmmakers regardless of their role in the filmmaking process.
flipp525
Laureate

Re: R.I.P. John Mahoney

Post by flipp525 »

Big Magilla wrote:He was great at playing nice guys, but my favorite Mahoney performance was his villainous judge in Suspect with Cher, Dennis Quaid and Liam Neeson, made the same year as Moonstruck.
Magilla, I was just chiming in to say the same thing. His performance in Suspect is my favorite. I love that movie, partly because of the way it captures a seedier D.C. than the one that exists today, especially the area where the victim’s car is discovered in Georgetown.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

He was great at playing nice guys, but my favorite Mahoney performance was his villainous judge in Suspect with Cher, Dennis Quaid and Liam Neeson, made the same year as Moonstruck.
Greg
Tenured

Post by Greg »

He could very have gotten nominated for Moonstruck had his role just been a little bigger. "I'm too old for me! That's the problem," is one of my favorite lines in the movie.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

He did win a SAG award as part of the Frasier ensemble. He also won an award from Gold Derby (for what it's worth). He was underrated, that's for sure.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

He was a gay man who was incredibly good at playing sad, resigned straight men. He was a character actor, born to wear a brown suit jacket. He never won any awards and I'd imagine that even fans of "Frasier" forget his name once in a while. Between 1995 and 2000, I watched "Frasier" religiously, but I also saw films like 'Moonstruck,' 'Say Anything...', and 'Barton Fink' for the first time. His performances seemed like celebrations of not terribly successful lives. There was always a joy to his characters' musty joylessness. And I'd imagine even among people who can't remember his name, would remark of his death "Oh, he was good!"
"How's the despair?"
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

A truly great actor. Like many, I discovered him in Frasier (I was too young for his 80s films in real time) and then delighted to discover the great actor he was...I first remember his dramatic side in Primal Fear. We were lucky in Chicago to get him full time post Frasier and got to see him really push himself at Steppenwolf, most memorably for me in The Seafarer.
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

Yeah, this one stings.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

R.I.P. John Mahoney

Post by Mister Tee »

Wonderful actor, despite coming to it late in life. He broke through in his mid-40s, playing Artie in the great '80s House of Blue Leaves revival, which I was privileged to see. The movies quickly snapped him up, casting him in such projects as Moonstruck, Eight Men Out and the quite memorable Say Anything. And then TV, via Frasier, made him truly a household name. Even late in life, he did excellent work on HBO's In Treatment. Very talented, natural actor, and by all accounts a solid human being. A true loss.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/ ... 77-1081939

Return to “The People”