Mel Gibson Trying to Get on the Liberal Good Side?

Whether they are behind the camera or in front of it, this is the place to discuss all filmmakers regardless of their role in the filmmaking process.
MovieWes
Professor

Post by MovieWes »

Actually, Mel's still the same old Mel that he's always been. He's been against the Iraq War since the beginning. In fact, I think I heard somewhere that he really liked Fahrenheit 9/11 and said that it raised a lot of good issues.
"Young men make wars and the virtues of war are the virtues of young men: courage and hope for the future. Then old men make the peace, and the vices of peace are the vices of old men: mistrust and caution." -- Alec Guinness (Lawrence of Arabia)
kaytodd
Assistant

Post by kaytodd »

I never heard Mel say anything positive about Kerry during the 2004 campaign, but I remember him saying a lot of negative things about Bush and the war.

Mel, like a lot of conservatives, does not approve of Bush's running up of deficits and engaging in "nation building" overseas. And I am sure the recent revelations about the US use of torture appalled Mel as well.
The great thing in the world is not so much where we stand, as in what direction we are moving. It's faith in something and enthusiasm for something that makes a life worth living. Oliver Wendell Holmes
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Bush's America is akin to Nazi Germany. Bush's America is like Rome before the fall. Bush's America is like the precipice of the fall of the Mayan civilization. These aren't new parallels, folks, and they've already been stated by more reliable and informed sources than Mel Gibson.

Honestly, this seems like a calculated attempt to sway favor back in his corner after a disastrous couple of months just in time to promote his latest film.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

I don't think that this is the first time he's said something against the Iraq War.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

After years of supporting radically conservative views, Gibson finally comes up with something that I respect. I don't know how sincere he is, but he does draw a parallel that I've drawn before in this news blurb from imdb:

Gibson's Attack On Iraq War
Hollywood actor Mel Gibson launched a scathing verbal attack on the US war in Iraq during promotion for his new film Apocalypto. Gibson made a surprise appearance at Fantastic Fest in Texas on Friday, an event devoted to science fiction and horror movies, where he screened his work-in-progress on Mayan adventure tale Apocalypto before fielding questions from the crowd. The Lethal Weapon star drew parallels between the Mayan civilization's collapse and the current political situation in America, warning audience members that the war in Iraq would be the downfall of the US. He said, "The precursors to a civilization that's going under are the same, time and time again. What's human sacrifice if not sending guys off to Iraq for no reason?"
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin

Return to “The People”