R.I.P. Mickey Hargitay

Whether they are behind the camera or in front of it, this is the place to discuss all filmmakers regardless of their role in the filmmaking process.
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

I'm glad he lived long enough to see the birth of his daughter's first child and to see her win the Emmy.
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

Former Mr. Universe Mickey Hargitay Dead at 80
From a Times Staff Writer

2:32 PM PDT, September 18, 2006

Mickey Hargitay, the Hungarian-born bodybuilder who parlayed his mid-1950s Mr. Universe titles into an acting career and married Hollywood sex symbol Jayne Mansfield, has died.

He was 80. Hargitay, the father of Emmy-winning actress Mariska Hargitay, died Thursday in Los Angeles, a family spokeswoman said today. She did not provide further details.

Hargitay and Mansfield appeared together in the 1960 film "The Loves of Hercules," one of the many fantasy-adventure movies produced by Italian filmmakers.

In a 2003 interview with The Times, Hargitay said that "The Loves of Hercules" was a chance to work with his then-wife, sex symbol Mansfield. Hargitay and Mansfield were the parents of actress Mariska Hargitay,

"I wanted in the worst way to do the film with Jayne," said Hargitay. "At that time, we didn't tell anybody, but Jayne was pregnant. I noticed it myself she was getting a little bit heavier [making the movie] than she normally was."

During the 1950s, Mae West recruited Hargitay and other well known bodybuilders to perform in her live stage revue, which toured the country in the mid-1950s.
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster

Return to “The People”