R.I.P. Anne Wiazemsky

Whether they are behind the camera or in front of it, this is the place to discuss all filmmakers regardless of their role in the filmmaking process.
Precious Doll
Emeritus

R.I.P. Anne Wiazemsky

Post by Precious Doll »

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2017/o ... es-aged-70

If I'm not mistaken Robert Bresson was rather pissed off that Anne Wiazemsky went off to work for other directors after he cast her in Au Hasard Balthazar. (Now I could be wrong and it may not be Anne but what I have written below relates to an actress from a Bresson film in the 1960's and she fits the bill - I can't be bothered going through my old issues of Film Comment to confirm this).

She was I believe an non professional and he didn't care for his 'discoveries' to continue go on and have acting careers, though he did also hire professionals (Dominique Sanda in Une Femme Douce being a prime example).

Anyway, in the 1960's after she worked for Godard & Pasolini she used to receive phone calls with heavy breathing in a rather sexual manner. She believes these calls were made from Bresson. Also have heard that Bresson claimed he never watched contemporary cinema but there were numerous sightings of him over the years going in and out of cinema screening new films.

It was funny that not long after reading the article which gave me a good chuckle, though I do not personally approve of such behaviour, I went to a one man John Waters show and he mentioned the story and gave credit to Film Comment for publishing the article.
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)

Return to “The People”