R.I.P. Harry Dean Stanton

Whether they are behind the camera or in front of it, this is the place to discuss all filmmakers regardless of their role in the filmmaking process.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Re: R.I.P. Harry Dean Stanton

Post by Big Magilla »

Precious Doll wrote:The great Harry Dean Stanton (SAG, you missed your chance for what would have been a much deserved career award) is the second member of the original Alien film to pass away this year.
Actually, we had a third "member" of the film die eight days before Stanton. Casting director Mary Goldberg passed away on September 7th at the age of 72.
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

Big Magilla wrote:
FilmFan720 wrote:
Precious Doll wrote:The great Harry Dean Stanton (SAG, you missed your chance for what would have been a much deserved career award) is the second member of the original Alien film to pass away this year.
Creepily enough, they were also the first two members to die in the film (and in the same order).
So, who's next?
Tom Skerritt.
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Precious Doll wrote:I watched Mary Poppins a couple of days ago and 3 of the 4 principle actors are still alive (not counting the children).
Sadly, Matthew Garber died of pancreatitis after consuming "bad meat" in India in 1977 at the age of 21. Karen Dotrice, is still with us, though. Her father, Roy Dotrice, last seen on Game of Thrones in 2012, is also still with us at 94.

Here's an up-to-date list of the 39 oldest show biz legends still with us:

http://www.papermag.com/the-top-40-olde ... 23640.html
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

FilmFan720 wrote:
Creepily enough, they were also the first two members to die in the film (and in the same order).
So, who's next?
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

I didn't realize that Estelle Parsons was still alive...
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

The great Harry Dean Stanton (SAG, you missed your chance for what would have been a much deserved career award) is the second member of the original Alien film to pass away this year.

I watched Mary Poppins a couple of days ago and 3 of the 4 principle actors are still alive (not counting the children).

Bonnie and Clyde must be the oldest film (1967) in which all the the main actors (Beatty, Dunnaway, Hackman, Parsons & Pollard) are still with us.
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

I think I'd seen Harry Dean Stanton in 10-12 movies before I knew his name, which speaks to the sort of career he had: he was a part-of-the-environment sort of actor, not an extrovert who demanded your constant attention. This gave him a long, honorable list of credits, and finally did lead to some roles where he got to personally shine (as in his Big Love character). But he's most easily remembered as the ultimate team player -- a guy who made many many movies & TV shows better, simply by virtue of his participation. It's hard for me to conceive of a movie universe without him.
Precious Doll
Emeritus

R.I.P. Harry Dean Stanton

Post by Precious Doll »

"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)

Return to “The People”