R.I.P. Jeanne Moreau

Whether they are behind the camera or in front of it, this is the place to discuss all filmmakers regardless of their role in the filmmaking process.
Uri
Adjunct

Re: R.I.P. Jeanne Moreau

Post by Uri »

It's not that I would resent it if she was to be honored with an Oscar, but she was so much beyond that, it's simply not relevant.

I was rather surprised how emotionally effected I was today when I learnt about her death. I spent a couple of hours this afternoon listening to many of her recordings on Youtube. I love her voice - both speaking and singing. And as I said many times, for me, the greatest day of my filmgoing life was the one in the summer of '84, at the Jerusalem film festival, when I had the privilege of attending a screening of the documentary Moreau made about Lilian Gish (followed by Griffith's Broken Blossoms) with these two icons present, and I was able to see them walking in, about 2 feet away from where I was seated.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

A genuine cinema legend -- connected to so many ground-breaking films, especially in the 50s and 60s. Her Catherine in Jules and Jim by itself is enough to ensure enshrinement in the film hall of fame. And she put in some time in Hollywood as well, making it, as all are saying, incomprehensible she was never chosen for an honorary Oscar. Jackie Chan had to get one, but she didn't? Perhaps she made enemies during her stateside time (or during her marriage to William Friedkin)? She does seem like one who wouldn't suffer fools gladly.

Obviously I didn't know the lady personally -- all I know is what she projected, on-screen and off- -- but she seemed someone who lived life to a full extent. I'm deeply sorry her light has been extinguished.
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Big Magilla wrote:
Precious Doll wrote:The Academy has had plenty of time to give her what would have been a well earned Life Achievement Award.
I had the same thought. Maybe they were waiting for her to turn 90!
The Academy has screwed up far too many times with their bloody "maybe".
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Precious Doll wrote:The Academy has had plenty of time to give her what would have been a well earned Life Achievement Award.
I had the same thought. Maybe they were waiting for her to turn 90!
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

Few actresses can boast such an impressive array of film credits: Jules and Jim, Bay of Angels, Elevator to the Gallows, The Bride Wore Black, La Notte, Querelle, The Last Tycoon, Mr. Klien, Monte Walsh, Le Feu Follet, The Trial, Diary of a Chambermaid, The Train, Mademoiselle, Eva, The Lovers....

The Academy has had plenty of time to give her what would have been a well earned Life Achievement Award.
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
anonymous1980
Laureate

R.I.P. Jeanne Moreau

Post by anonymous1980 »

Another major loss.

Story.

Return to “The People”