R.I.P. Stephen Furst

Whether they are behind the camera or in front of it, this is the place to discuss all filmmakers regardless of their role in the filmmaking process.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Re: R.I.P. Stephen Furst

Post by Mister Tee »

dws1982 wrote:I guess it speaks to a generational gap to admit that when I read "Flounder", I thought you were talking about the guy who voiced the fish in The Little Mermaid. And I was thinking, "wasn't Tee in his 30's when that came out?"

I've never actually seen Animal House.
Actually, nearly clinging to my 30s by then.

I doubt Animal House would be to your taste regardless, but I think it's very much a "you had to be there" movie. There'd never really been a big screen, mainstream comedy like it before -- only cheapie sketch-comedy items like The Groove Tube or Kentucky Fried Movie. The film channeled the spirit of the National Lampoon (which had made its foray into TV a few years earlier with SNL): shattering taboos that had ruled in movies from the dawn of sound. We who were young and still rebellious cheered it on, and made the movie an unexpectedly huge late summer hit.

You can very much argue that the film opened the door for probably thousands of gross, witless comedies that followed. I can't argue that. But for one glorious moment, Animal House seemed very much a counterculture breakthrough.
dws1982
Emeritus

Re: R.I.P. Stephen Furst

Post by dws1982 »

I guess it speaks to a generational gap to admit that when I read "Flounder", I thought you were talking about the guy who voiced the fish in The Little Mermaid. And I was thinking, "wasn't Tee in his 30's when that came out?"

I've never actually seen Animal House.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

R.I.P. Stephen Furst

Post by Mister Tee »

Hardly an important film artist, but Flounder is an indelible screen character from my youthful days.

http://variety.com/2017/film/news/steph ... 202469695/

Return to “The People”