The Power Couple of Art Direction?

Whether they are behind the camera or in front of it, this is the place to discuss all filmmakers regardless of their role in the filmmaking process.
HarryGoldfarb
Adjunct

Post by HarryGoldfarb »

Didn't you mean Costume Designers? Actually they've received a lot of nominations but in the costume design field, not art direction. All the same, I don't know pretty much about them but I remember being quite disappointed when they lost back in 1992 against Ishioka's work in Bram Stoker's Dracula (now I'm quite confortable with that choice).

All I know is that she studied at the London's Central School of Art and Design. She has received 8 academy awards nominations (two of them by herself and the other six shared with Bright) and has won only one (back in 1986 for A Room with a View).

I don't know why they separated but maybe his health condition (due to his age) might have something to do with it. I mean, while she was born in 1950, he was born back in 1908! They made a great team for creating costumes both rich to the eye while historically accurate. Howards End, in my opinion stands out as the best of their work with Sense and Sensibility (less richier but all the same accurate) and A Room with a View (strictly accomplished) quite close. Howards End atmosphere is still intoxicating, everytime I see the film is like going into a time travel where I'm not supposed to be. Everything seems extremely real... in part thanks to their work.
"If you place an object in a museum, does that make this object a piece of art?" - The Square (2017)
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Well, I don't know if they were powerful or really a couple but the regular nominations of Jenny Beavan and John Bright back in the 80s and 90s was something I often expected. However, I've noticed in recent years that Beavan is often credited but Bright is not.

Does anyone know the origin of this Art Directing team and what happened to end their working relationship?
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin

Return to “The People”